Twitter: Great explanation on Shepard's illegal pick

Sydla

Reaction score
I look at it this way. If Lamb did the same thing and was flagged for OPI, there is zero doubt in my
mind many in this thread defending the call last night would be screaming to high heaven that Lamb got hosed.

And stop with the “design” angle. The play had broken down and Jones had left the pocket. Shepard wasn’t supposed to “pick” the DB by design.

RonWashington

Reaction score
That Kelvin Joseph face mask penalty that extended a Giants drive when the 3rd down play failed ? Only an out position not technique sound DB grabs for the receivers face mask as the receiver blows by . And Nashon Wright inactive . I’m getting bad vibes on high picks at DB 2021.

:thumbdown:. Maybe Joseph is the new CJ Goodwin a terror on ST coverage nowhere to be trusted on defense .

pansophy

Reaction score
he literally jumps into Diggs.. I mean come on...
he actually had to run back towards the line of scrimmage in order to jump into Diggs -- it's not like he was coming in toward the ball because it wasn't in the air yet.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Bad call to me. I've never seen a pick play designed to be 20 yards downfield.

At worst he took advantage of situation and circumstance, but he isn't obligated to move out of anyone's way if he's running a route. Looks to me like he was running a route and then guarded himself from contact.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I didn’t get to watch the game live, but I couldn’t believe people were criticizing this call when I went back to watch everything the next day. Once he jumps and turns his shoulder to initiate contact, it’s so obvious. Even if you ignore that for argument’s sake, intent is never taken into account with penalties. That’s like saying a flag shouldn’t be thrown if the player accidentally grabs a face mask.

With the way the league is going, I think it also could have been 15 yards for a hit (to the head even) on a defenseless player. Defense deserves just as much protection as offense from injuries.

Creeper

Reaction score
Here is the rule for permissible contact:

ARTICLE 3. PERMISSIBLE ACTS BY BOTH TEAMS WHILE THE BALL IS IN THE AIR
Acts that are permissible by a player include, but are not limited to:

1. Incidental contact by an opponent’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.
I have read all the comments about Shepard leaving his feet and taking a peek at Diggs before contact and this, I think, is easy to understand. Shepard did see Diggs coming at the last minute and the leap was an attempt to avoid contact. If Shepard intended to block Diggs, why leave his feet? I think it was an instinctive move.

In any case, the rule says if there is any question whether contact is incidental then the ruling should be no flag. I do think there is a question about this play, as we are debating it after the game. But when bodies fall to the ground, refs like to throw flags. I am surprised they didn't call it PI against Diggs for impeding Shepard's route.

And btw, if the receiver sees the QB in trouble it is normal for them to turn back to the QB to get open. So the fact that he curled back is not significant to me.

But, I can see the refs calling it either way based on the rule. The non-calls against Noah Brown were much harder to explain. They were clear violations of the rules.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
IF HE TURNED AROUND AND SAT DOWN AS LIKE HE WAS DOING A CURL ROUTE I COULD COMPLETELY SEE THAT BEING FINE, this was intentional