WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Champ Bailey's lil brother, Boss.
Duce Staley and Deuce McCallister.
Christian Okoye
Ty Law - Hated to bring his name into this thread, but I really do like his name.

From the Current Cowboys
Marc Columbo - remember the show?
Bradie James
Rocky Boiman
Junior Glymph
Akin Ayodele
Willie Pile ]
Tony Romo
Flozell Adams
Jamaica Rector
Jacque Reeves

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Drew Henson
Emmitt Smith
Michael Irvin
Nate Newton

some people made their names others their names made them

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Jack Youngblood

Jim "Hacksaw" Reynolds ( I know it's a nickname, but the story of how he got it rules.)

I. M. Hipp

Gino Capaletti

Chuck Bednarik

Otis Sistrunk

Speaking of nick names, Bednarik had one of the best ever:

"Concrete Charlie"

:cool:

Big D

Reaction score
BulletBob said:
Speaking of nick names, Bednarik had one of the best ever:

"Concrete Charlie"

:cool:

Bullet Bob wasn't bad either! :wink2:

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
I also remember a College placekicker named "Shank". I am pretty sure he played for the Army or Navy. Can't remember.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
John Lynch

Ray Nitschke

Hank Blalock (I know he plays baseball but what a badd azz football-sounding name!

Alge Crumpler

Brian Bosworth (Too bad his name was the best part of him)

and, a future name for your consideration, Tanin Taylor. (Yeah, it's my son)

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
NinePointOh said:
Worst names, on the other hand ...
Jeff Smoker
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Lovie Smith
Todd Weiner
Ron Mexico

You forgot Dick Jauren.sp?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
A lot of good names here, another I always liked was:

Jim Zorn
Eddie LeBaron

And what's up with sticking such a bad azz player with...Bob Lily ?

Reaction score
L.G. "Long Gone" Dupree

Jarvis Redwine

Roosevelt Leaks

James "Happy" Feller

Cotton Spreyer

Doak Walker

Dick "Night Train" Lane

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Couldn't get any more bottom line basic than Jim Brown, Joe Greene or Randy White. ( plus you've got the whole color thing going there )

I always liked Major Harris.

Herschel Walker should have been Herschel Runner.

Much like Cher or Elvis, you could recognize some by one name, ... Walter, Emmitt.

As mentioned above about Lilly, a pansy name like Swann is not a good football name.

jackrussell

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
Couldn't get any more bottom line basic than Jim Brown, Joe Greene or Randy White. ( plus you've got the whole color thing going there )

I always liked Major Harris.

Herschel Walker should have been Herschel Runner.

Much like Cher or Elvis, you could recognize some by one name, ... Walter, Emmitt.

As mentioned above about Lilly, a pansy name like Swann is not a good football name.

My wife babysitted for our friends back when Hersch first played for Dallas. They were HUGE Browns fans.

They came to pick him up one day, and found I had marked 'Herschel' on his brand new 'walker'. :p:

jackrussell

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
My favorite...the old Univ. of Washington QB, Sonny Sixkiller.

I loved that name.

Alright, someone with some info.

I was under the fogged memory it was Sixgun. Apparently I'm wrong. I Google and everything but found nothing. Well, next to nothing.

In the original move 'The Longest Yard', in the cast was Sonny Sixkiller, that played 'Indian.'

There was no mention of him playing football, do you think it was the same guy?

EDIT: Never mind! http://www.4malamute.com/zu2.html

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Big D said:
As I was posting in another thread about a certain ex-coaches name I began to think to myself about some of the all-time great names in the history of football.

You gotta love guys with names like Knute Rockne , Dick Butkus, and Bronko Nagurski. They just sound like they were born to play football.

Are there any names of players that make you say "thats a cool name!" ?

:starspin

I have to comment on Dick Butkus. I know he was a mean and tough SOB but you gotta wonder was he always like that or did he take alot of "stuff" in scholl growing up with two names that were part of the human body.

Dick Buttkus

I am sure the kids had a field day with him... you see it happen all the time...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Jack Youngblood

Jim "Hacksaw" Reynolds ( I know it's a nickname, but the story of how he got it rules.)

I. M. Hipp

Gino Capaletti

Chuck Bednarik

Otis Sistrunk

I read the question for this thread and right off the bat thought of Youngblood and Bednarik.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Gotta love WR Cleveland Webster Slaughter. Should have been a Linebacker or Safety though with a name like that.

gbrittain

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Johnny Blood, Orpheus Roye, Chubby Grigg, Marion Motley, Cloyce Box, Tank Younger, Night Train Lane, Yelberton Abraham Tittle, Bulldog Turner, Ed Sprinkle, Gino Marchetti, Rosey Grier, Bucko Kilroy, Ernie Stautner, Chuck Bednarik, Scooter Scudero, Les Richter, Doug Atkins, Earl Leggett, Emerson Boozer, Matt Snell, Amos Marsh, Mike Gaechter, Sam Huff, Vitamin Smith, Maxie Baughan, Riley Gunnels, Fuzzy Thurston, Jim Ringo, Mike Pyle, Yale Lary, Leo Nomellini, Houston Antwine, Cookie Gilchrist, Proverb Jacobs, Wahoo McDaniel, Keith Lincoln, Chip Glass, MacArthur Lane, Mick Tinglehoff, Karl Kassulke, Jerry Rush, Howard Mudd, Forrest Gregg, Doug Buffone, Coy Bacon, Jhn Zook, Ted Kwalick, Verlon Biggs, Bake Turner, Haven Moses, Jim Kiick, Billy Cannon, Buck Buchanon, Dave Butz, Chris Hanburger, ... that will do for now.

You have been waiting all your life for this thread to pop up haven't you? You were most certainly prepared!:p: