Great point by Bradie James

SMCowboy

Reaction score
EGG;2940396 said:
No, I think you're rationalizing a very poor performance.

No, I am not rationalizing a poor performance. I said that saying we stuffed the Bucs running the ball in the second half is a bit of a stretch, but it is just as much if not more of a stretch to fail to recognize that we did hold them to 3 or fewer yards on half of their carries. You can rest assured that the Bucs don't think that they did a good job running the football in the second half just because they averaged 5.2 yards per carry. Coaches don't as much look at yards per carry as they do consistency. A coach would much rather have 4 running plays of 5 years each, than 3 running plays where you gain 0 yards, and 1 running play where you gain 20 yards. Both sets of running plays get you 20 yards rushing and average 5.0 yards per carry. But, the offensive coach will much rather have the first set of 4 runs, than the last set of 4 runs.

EGG;2940396 said:
No doubt there are similar Buc apologists saying, "If it hadn't been for three long pass receptions for touchdowns our secondary played GREAT!" :rolleyes:

First off, I never said we played "GREAT", I did say that saying we stuffed the run is a reach. But, it is much less of a reach than you saying that we still played terrible against the run.

And a Buc apologist would not be looking at the stats if they said that, because for the game even without the 3 big plays, Romo still averaged:
6.875 yards per attempt (a very solid number).

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Alexander;2940392 said:
Even if having nothing to go on is valid (which I don't buy), how does this explain poor tackling and loose coverage.

The defense didn't play very well, that is all there is to it. Sandlot or not. Unprepared or not. We didn't even execute the basics. Our defensive line was pushed around, our back seven missed too many tackles and didn't fill the gaps very well.

Though, I'm trying to have a positive outlook on the win yesterday, this post is spot on. Scheme only excuses so much. The basic fundamentals of defensive football were sorely lacking on this team for a majority of the afternoon.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2940374 said:
I do think the D will play MUCH better against the GMen on Sunday night. I also think that most likely those who think they totally suck will not be around to give them any credit for playing good against the Giants.
I hope you're right, but when you look at the last 3 games Dallas has played, it's hard for any reasonable person to not have serious doubts about this defense.

newlander

Reaction score
LOL Big Dakota: we gave up big plays and lots of yards in the second half too....just more excuses from BJ and others....

Temo

Reaction score
Hostile;2939915 said:
I mistakenly thought Tampa would flat out suck in 2009.

Today they didn't. Not sure why people think this is a horrible team. 9-7 last year just like us.

Yea, I'm not really sure either. Even before the game some guys were hyping their trio of RBs as almost as good as the Cowboys' 3 (or even as good). They replaced Jeff Garcia with Byron Leftwich-- neither are good, but it's a side grade, right? Some of their receivers made nice plays, though Kellen Winslow was flat-awful.

All I can think of is that they cut Derrick Brooks in the offseason... the same Derrick Brooks who couldn't make the Raiders' roster this year.

Football outsiders did predict the Bucs to go 9-7 in the offseason-- though they dropped that to 7-9 after training camp (presumably due to the OC firing).