Great Read On Zeke's Case & The Trouble Goodell Faces

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
When you get a national writer like Sally Jenkins from the Washington Post, who is a staunch women's advocate to write an article that vilifies the NFL in the Zeke case you can see where the NFL thinks it's in trouble and might want to settle.

Here's a snippet--

NFL owners should have reined in Goodell long ago. Instead, they let him wander onto this shaky legal ground, and now a judge may do their reining for them. If Goodell can behave this way, then what’s to prevent other heads of corporate entities from railroading their employees? Your work cubicle could be next.

Goodell’s conduct has eroded basic faith in arbitration, and it seems inevitable that a court will restore it. The arbitration system was written to declutter the courts and settle labor disputes more efficiently. It wasn’t written to strip American employees of basic citizenship rights and turn them into residents of some abstract legal Siberia. This was the point that Olson made on Brady’s behalf during the New England quarterback’s federal appeal, and in Elliott’s case, it looks like a winner. As Olson said, Goodell’s arbitration standards “are damaging and unfair . . . to collective bargaining agreements everywhere.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...abb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.48118e1d67a8

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
When you get a national writer like Sally Jenkins from the Washington Post, who is a staunch women's advocate to write an article that vilifies the NFL in the Zeke case you can see where the NFL thinks it's in trouble and might want to settle.

Here's a snippet--

NFL owners should have reined in Goodell long ago. Instead, they let him wander onto this shaky legal ground, and now a judge may do their reining for them. If Goodell can behave this way, then what’s to prevent other heads of corporate entities from railroading their employees? Your work cubicle could be next.

Goodell’s conduct has eroded basic faith in arbitration, and it seems inevitable that a court will restore it. The arbitration system was written to declutter the courts and settle labor disputes more efficiently. It wasn’t written to strip American employees of basic citizenship rights and turn them into residents of some abstract legal Siberia. This was the point that Olson made on Brady’s behalf during the New England quarterback’s federal appeal, and in Elliott’s case, it looks like a winner. As Olson said, Goodell’s arbitration standards “are damaging and unfair . . . to collective bargaining agreements everywhere.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...abb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.48118e1d67a8
When you've lost Sally Jenkins...

Doomsay

Reaction score

Here's a snippet--

Great article from a hostile NFC East city, no less.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
This is not a good look at all... Now if National writers actually looked at the evidence of the case they will see how one sided and wrong it was all together. The NFL picked the wrong case to witch hunt, and that is pretty obvious. Zeke might be immature, but a woman beater he is not it's obvious in the evidence. Zeke time to mature dude, I hope this process is a wake up call for you kid.

xvendettax914

Reaction score
Its a real head scratcher why they picked a case that was non existent to "set an example" I mean, how on earth did they think this was a good idea? Using the biggest team in your league with one of the most high profile players, whom was not even arrested let alone charged with a crime. Any other borderline case would have been more effective than this nonsense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's interesting that the Elliott case has become about process, and the the DV issue has a distant back-seat at this point. A lot of people aren't even remembering the details, just left with the impression that the player got jobbed by the league here.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Its a real head scratcher why they picked a case that was non existent to "set an example" I mean, how on earth did they think this was a good idea? Using the biggest team in your league with one of the most high profile players, whom was not even arrested let alone charged with a crime. Any other borderline case would have been more effective than this nonsense.

#4 overall pick on the NFL's biggest draw (Cowboys) is exactly why

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
It's interesting that the Elliott case has become about process, and the the DV issue has a distant back-seat at this point. A lot of people aren't even remembering the details, just left with the impression that the player got jobbed by the league here.

Big problem here actually... The details show it was nothing short of a witch hunt... I hope national writers pick the case up and write articles on it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Ball don't lie

People know there was no there there............it was a set-up from the beginning

What stands out to me is that there haven't been any protests of Elliott by Women's groups..... that is saying something in tpoday's world.... even Joe Mixon has gotten a pass.... the DV issue just isn't a major theme right now...... this is a self-inflicted wound by the NFL

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Right, so one would think if your going to pick a weak/non existent argument, don't do it on such a large scale.

I agree... But they wanted to make a statement to all the special interest groups. I am not trying to talk down about them, because domestic violence is a serious issue. My problem is they don't seem to look at things objectively. So here we are o_O

dwreck27

Reaction score

Because its obvious that the female in question was attempting to "jobb" Elliott which thankfully the legal system saw right through but unfortunately for Elliot the league decided to become its own judge and jury on the situation

csirl

Reaction score
She's made one huge legal error re: the right to confront the accuser. TT is NOT the person who has accused Zeke of violating NFL conduct - which is what the suspension concerns. Its the NFLs own internal investigation team who is the accuser.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
My guess on their motivation has always been fear of potential repercussions from another Ray Rice or Josh Brown case.

Friel was brought in to avoid exactly what happened to Ray Rice and proceeded to do exactly what she was supposed to prevent. They were afraid of another video or some other type of damning evidence coming out after they rendered their decision. Here they had a cooperating witness and something resembling physical evidence. So they threw the book at him. Considering that he's a star on the biggest franchise, it also shows their willingness to discipline anyone. So in that light it's easy to dismiss the credibility issues and the recommendations of your lead investigator.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
My guess on their motivation has always been fear of potential repercussions from another Ray Rice or Josh Brown case.

Friel was brought in to avoid exactly what happened to Ray Rice and proceeded to do exactly what she was supposed to prevent. They were afraid of another video or some other type of damning evidence coming out after they rendered their decision. Here they had a cooperating witness and something resembling physical evidence. So they threw the book at him. Considering that he's a star on the biggest franchise, it also shows their willingness to discipline anyone. So in that light it's easy to dismiss the credibility issues and the recommendations of your lead investigator.
I would fear to my core to work for a company that can and will attempt to ruin your life based on an agenda, no matter the collateral damage.
That's why I work for Hollywood! lol... I'm going to hell.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I would fear to my core to work for a company that can and will attempt to ruin your life based on an agenda, no matter the collateral damage.
That's why I work for Hollywood! lol... I'm going to hell.
I think the agenda was a part of their decision. I think CYA was a much more substantial factor though. And no matter where you work it's going to be hard to avoid that mentality.