CFZ Great Teams aren’t accidents- they must be developed

eromeopolk

Reaction score
One of the biggest mistakes most fans make- I’m guilty of it too at times- is to watch one game and declare what a team will be the rest of the season.

You know how it goes. Team looks bad on opening day and fans project that’s what will happen all season. OR- after starting 3-0, fans start planning the SB parade route. Both are silly in light of what can and will happen in a long 17 game NFL season.

After 6-8 games, you can get a general feel for a team’s potential but it’s still too early to know which teams are “great” and will do well in the playoffs.

So here are a few football truths about teams:
  • Teams develop over time. Especially young teams. What they are in Sept is usually not what they will be in December. Good or bad.
    • In 2021, the rams were 6-4 after ten games, and had lost 3 straight. They developed into a SB winner.
    • In 2020, the buccaneers were 7-5 after 12 games and did not win their division. But they did go on to win the SB that year.
    • In 2019, the chiefs were 6-4 after 10 games. Mahomes was only in his second year as a starter. Then he and the team developed into something special all the way to a Lombardi.
  • Teams have to learn how to play together. Teams that win in the playoffs aren’t just a collection of great talent. They are talented players who have learned to be a TEAM.
  • The Cowboys are young. They are developing lots of young players. What they are now is probably not what they will be in Dec- if they are developing as a TEAM.
One thing I believe strongly- the eagles are not as good as they have appeared the first half of the season. I believe we can beat them in Dec and in in the playoffs if we get the chance because we are a team with some young developing players that are only going to get better.

Just remember- Talented TEAMS win in the playoffs not teams with the most talent.
Agree and add that the team you mentioned traded or had solid teams before making a move at a positions to get to the Super Bowl.

"We like what we have" has never won a Super Bowl or will win a Super Bowl. Stability at ownership, leadership at Head Coach, performance at QB (bus driver or race car driver), and defense wins championships.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I noticed about the Eagles last season, they became more of a team than the Cowboys were and the Cowboys lost to a better team in the playoffs.

One thing I've noticed about the Eagles this season, they have acclimated their new players into their system and team better than any other team I have watched.

I scoffed at their HC when he came in but he knows how to bring a team together, including wearing funky t shirts and shouting obscenities across the field at the Cowboys. I still think he's a hell of a goofball but he has that team humming.

Verdict

Reaction score
One of the biggest mistakes most fans make- I’m guilty of it too at times- is to watch one game and declare what a team will be the rest of the season.

You know how it goes. Team looks bad on opening day and fans project that’s what will happen all season. OR- after starting 3-0, fans start planning the SB parade route. Both are silly in light of what can and will happen in a long 17 game NFL season.

After 6-8 games, you can get a general feel for a team’s potential but it’s still too early to know which teams are “great” and will do well in the playoffs.

So here are a few football truths about teams:
  • Teams develop over time. Especially young teams. What they are in Sept is usually not what they will be in December. Good or bad.
    • In 2021, the rams were 6-4 after ten games, and had lost 3 straight. They developed into a SB winner.
    • In 2020, the buccaneers were 7-5 after 12 games and did not win their division. But they did go on to win the SB that year.
    • In 2019, the chiefs were 6-4 after 10 games. Mahomes was only in his second year as a starter. Then he and the team developed into something special all the way to a Lombardi.
  • Teams have to learn how to play together. Teams that win in the playoffs aren’t just a collection of great talent. They are talented players who have learned to be a TEAM.
  • The Cowboys are young. They are developing lots of young players. What they are now is probably not what they will be in Dec- if they are developing as a TEAM.
One thing I believe strongly- the eagles are not as good as they have appeared the first half of the season. I believe we can beat them in Dec and in in the playoffs if we get the chance because we are a team with some young developing players that are only going to get better.

Just remember- Talented TEAMS win in the playoffs not teams with the most talent.
All of the foregoing is true. I would also add that injuries change a team’s stock up or down. If the Bills lose Josh Allen or the Chiefs lose Mahomes for the year will they be the same team?

The ability to be playing your best ball in the playoffs is also a huge factor. There could be a lot of new faces in the playoffs at QB this year in the NFC. Brady and Rodgers may both be watching the playoffs from their couch this year.