CFZ Great Teams aren’t accidents- they must be developed

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the biggest mistakes most fans make- I’m guilty of it too at times- is to watch one game and declare what a team will be the rest of the season.

You know how it goes. Team looks bad on opening day and fans project that’s what will happen all season. OR- after starting 3-0, fans start planning the SB parade route. Both are silly in light of what can and will happen in a long 17 game NFL season.

After 6-8 games, you can get a general feel for a team’s potential but it’s still too early to know which teams are “great” and will do well in the playoffs.

So here are a few football truths about teams:
  • Teams develop over time. Especially young teams. What they are in Sept is usually not what they will be in December. Good or bad.
    • In 2021, the rams were 6-4 after ten games, and had lost 3 straight. They developed into a SB winner.
    • In 2020, the buccaneers were 7-5 after 12 games and did not win their division. But they did go on to win the SB that year.
    • In 2019, the chiefs were 6-4 after 10 games. Mahomes was only in his second year as a starter. Then he and the team developed into something special all the way to a Lombardi.
  • Teams have to learn how to play together. Teams that win in the playoffs aren’t just a collection of great talent. They are talented players who have learned to be a TEAM.
  • The Cowboys are young. They are developing lots of young players. What they are now is probably not what they will be in Dec- if they are developing as a TEAM.
One thing I believe strongly- the eagles are not as good as they have appeared the first half of the season. I believe we can beat them in Dec and in in the playoffs if we get the chance because we are a team with some young developing players that are only going to get better.

Just remember- Talented TEAMS win in the playoffs not teams with the most talent.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One of the biggest mistakes most fans make- I’m guilty of it too at times- is to watch one game and declare what a team will be the rest of the season.

You know how it goes. Team looks bad on opening day and fans project that’s what will happen all season. OR- after starting 3-0, fans start planning the SB parade route. Both are silly in light of what can and will happen in a long 17 game NFL season.

After 6-8 games, you can get a general feel for a team’s potential but it’s still too early to know which teams are “great” and will do well in the playoffs.

• Teams develop over time. Especially young teams. What they are in Sept is usually not what they will be in December. Good or bad.
    • In 2021, the rams were 6-4 after ten games, and had lost 3 straight. They developed into a SB winner.
    • In 2020, the buccaneers were 7-5 after 12 games and did not win their division. But they did go on to win the SB that year.
    • In 2019, the chiefs were 6-4 after 10 games. Mahomes was only in his second year as a starter. Then he and the team developed into something special all the way to a Lombardi.
  • Teams have to learn how to play together. Teams that win in the playoffs aren’t just a collection of great talent. They are talented players who have learned to be a TEAM.
  • The Cowboys are young. They are developing lots of young players. What they are now is probably not what they will be in Dec- if they are developing as a TEAM.
One thing I believe strongly- the eagles are not as good as they have appeared the first half of the season. I believe we can beat them in Dec and in in the playoffs if we get the chance because we are a team with some young developing players that are only going to get better.

Just remember- Talented TEAMS win in the playoffs not teams with the most talent.

I like our chances to be in the thick of it but lots of things will happen between now and then. I do think getting hot heading into the playoffs matter. Cinn got hot at the right now went out on the road throughout the playoffs and upset some team along the way

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The main thing is to avoid the injury bug. I think we have our best shot since the last couple of 13-3 seasons barring key injuries. Buffalo scares me the most especially since they owe us a hide tanning in a SB for historical reasons.

Jimcz

Reaction score

Jerry developed a new helmet for Thanksgiving! Lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The main thing is to avoid the injury bug. I think we have our best shot since the last couple of 13-3 seasons barring key injuries. Buffalo scares me the most especially since they owe us a hide tanning in a SB for historical reasons.
Several thoughts…Injuries will happen. They happen to every team. Unless you lose your QB for rest of the season, or maybe a guy like Parsons, you can overcome injuries. Remember the year Big Mac’s packers won it all, they actually had the most injuries in the league.

I would also say, yes the bills are very good, but there isn’t a team in this league the Cowboys are incapable of beating.

sandbridge77

Reaction score
Was it just development or did these teams improve their rosters with trades/free agent signings?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Make the playoffs and anything can happen.
The two primary things that help you make the playoffs and go far are talent and health. Other stuff matters, but those are by far the most important.
For every team that developed and "peaked at the right time," I can show you others that limped into the playoffs and still won it all.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hey, if we lose to the Bills in the SB, I won't even be mad...unless it's an embarrassing loss, or they act like jackasses about it.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Several thoughts…Injuries will happen. They happen to every team. Unless you lose your QB for rest of the season, or maybe a guy like Parsons, you can overcome injuries. Remember the year Big Mac’s packers won it all, they actually had the most injuries in the league.

I would also say, yes the bills are very good, but there isn’t a team in this league the Cowboys are incapable of beating.
That Packers team was a big exception. Sure, it's possible for that to happen, but in general, the teams that make the playoffs and go far are teams that get lucky with health. And you can only overcome injuries if you have talent behind the starters, depth. (And then you circle around to, teams that do well are the teams that don't get hit by injuries in the places where they lack depth.)

foofighters

Reaction score

I've been pretty cynical about this team the last few years but looking at how wide open the NFC is and if this team does as you say...plays as a TEAM, man, good things could be in the cards for this year. I don't know if we'd beat KC or Buffalo in the SB but I'd really like to see them try.

shabazz

Reaction score
I hope that we can be the 2007 Giants team incarnate, that went in as a wildcard and won every game on the road including the SB with that tremendous defense leading the way.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let’s draft two more lineman in the first round trade up . Kareem hunt Tony Pollard Ezekiel Elliott in the same backfield. Better version of the Bears. Keep the defense the same. They will get plenty of rest

75boyz

Reaction score
I hope that we can be the 2007 Giants team incarnate, that went in as a wildcard and won every game on the road including the SB with that tremendous defense leading the way.

Same here.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the Eagles are a good team. They have a lot of talent and they are playing with a ton of confidence. We'll see if that fades as the season progresses. But the Cowboys are a really good team too. It is not just the talent. They have some of that swagger they had in the 1990s. When McCarthy said, "we are underdogs to no one" he defined this team - and they are playing like it.

There is no way the Eagles beat Dallas 3 times this year and that's what it might take for them to get to the Super Bowl. Last year the 49ers came in and pasted the Cowboys in the playoffs. The Cowboys looked outmatched in intensity early. I do not think that will happen again.

I am going to caveat this with it depends on health, Kellen Moore, and Dak. Stay with the current formula on offense. Dak has to give us the good Dak when it counts. The rest of the team will fall in line and win.

I thought this team would win at most 6 games this year and probably only 4. But the way this team has gelled together is shocking and unexpected. They have had talented teams in the past but they never showed the resiliency they are showing this season. Win or lose it is great to see.

Scotman

Reaction score

I would add that we've already been bitten by the injury bug. We've been riding it out fairly successfully so far. Dak, Tyron, James Washington, Fehoko, Farniok, Waletzko, Basham, Lewis.... It's not like we are having a run of incredible health. If this team gels, it could make some genuine noise. There's no team in the league the Cowboys can't play with.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Hey if you stand at the craps table for 27 straight times you might finally roll box cars. JJs money buys him a chance to keep rolling those dice.
I think Jerry and Stephen kept trying to win a SB with a version of the triplets. They were very slow learners when it came to the importance of defense. Despite DWare’s presence, neither Romo nor Prescott ever had a winning defense until now. And I’m not as sure that they finally learned or that they got a little lucky with Quinn, Parsons, Diggs, and last year’s free agent safeties and then built upon it this year.