GREAT TEAMS that never won it all

terra

Reaction score
Minnesota Vikings and the Purple People Eaters and Bud Grant and Fran Tarkenton

HOF coach, HOF QB, a great D. Lost the SB again and again.

Buffalo Bills and Jim Kelly and Marv Levy; same thing with HOF Coach and HOF QB and a great D; had it all and came within a missed chip shot FG but never closed the deal.

Are there any others like that?

kskboys

Reaction score
Chargers w/ Fouts, and Chargers w/ Rivers. One season, the Chargers w/ Rivers had both the #1 D and the #1 O, and were 8-8. I don't even think they made the playoffs. Now that is some bad mgmt.

I don't think any team trumps the early 90's Bills. They lost on a missed 38 yard FG and ran into 3 meat grinders.

Flamma

Reaction score
Minnesota Vikings and the Purple People Eaters and Bud Grant and Fran Tarkenton

HOF coach, HOF QB, a great D. Lost the SB again and again.

Buffalo Bills and Jim Kelly and Marv Levy; same thing with HOF Coach and HOF QB and a great D; had it all and came within a missed chip shot FG but never closed the deal.

Are there any others like that?

I don't think we can ignore the 2007 Patriots. Unless you're just talking about teams that never won a SB in general.

I know the Dolphins won in '72 and '73. But the Dolphins of the 80s I thought were really good and didn't win one.

Flamma

Reaction score
Chargers w/ Fouts, and Chargers w/ Rivers. One season, the Chargers w/ Rivers had both the #1 D and the #1 O, and were 8-8. I don't even think they made the playoffs. Now that is some bad mgmt.

I don't think any team trumps the early 90's Bills. They lost on a missed 38 yard FG and ran into 3 meat grinders.

I forgot about the 80s Chargers. You nailed that one. Trading Fred Dean was stupid. BTW, the missed FG in Super Bowl 25 was a 47 yard FG, not 38.

terra

Reaction score

That FG was not a gimme but should have been made. As regards the Chargers, when they had Rivers and all the rest they did not have as good a coaching as they needed.
Don Coryell was a great coach but he never could put together a top D when he had Fouts.

But yeah the Bills were in each game pretty much; unlike the Vikings that got owned every time they went to the SB.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Bills of that early 90s era were very good, but still only about the 5th best team in the league in any of those years. Obviously, the 3 teams that beat them in those Superbowls were better. i think the 49ers were a better team over that 4 year span and would have easily dismantled the Bills had they met in any of those Superbowls. Heck, the Eagles of that era may have been better, but I wouldn't not say that in court.

terra

Reaction score
The Bills of that early 90s era were very good, but still only about the 5th best team in the league in any of those years. Obviously, the 3 teams that beat them in those Superbowls were better. i think the 49ers were a better team over that 4 year span and would have easily dismantled the Bills had they met in any of those Superbowls. Heck, the Eagles of that era may have been better, but I wouldn't not say that in court.
I think you are low rating the Bills somewhat. They beat a lot of find teams in that stretch. and the giants SB could very easily gone their way. So no I do not think they were the 5th best team; We were better and so were the 49rs and that was pretty much it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The 15-1 Minnesota Vikings of 1998 (I think).
I wanted to see the Vikings play the Broncos in the Super Bowl.
I thought it would be an epic match up.
But Minnesota choked by losing to the Falcons at home.
I was so disappointed. The Super Bowl was over when the Falcons won.

Hardline

Reaction score
The 15-1 Minnesota Vikings of 1998 (I think).
I wanted to see the Vikings play the Broncos in the Super Bowl.
I thought it would be an epic match up.
But Minnesota choked by losing to the Falcons at home.
I was so disappointed. The Super Bowl was over when the Falcons won.
I was so happy to see the Falcons win that game. I was still very upset over passing up Randy Moss in the draft.