Great thing about football? Games aren't won mid-week

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Sides were taken throughout the week because of all the reports, which I'm sure we can all agree have at least some truth (meaning, yes, there's some tension on where balls are going; was it all overblown? probably).

Anyway, reports had us questioning Barber's toughness, whether Witten was a snitch, that Romo was a choke and T.O. a cancer.

A few days later, they beat the supposed best team in football somewhat handily and control their playoff destiny.

Sports teams are a funny thing. Some can have players singing kumbaya (sp?) yet can't win a thing. Others can have players at odds yet take it all. Perhaps we'll fit in neither category, but I think this week proved one thing:

All of the talk -- all of it; from T.O. being a cancer to Witten a snitch -- was overrated. It had no bearing on the game. And judging from Choice borrowing from T.O.'s celebration and T.O. chattin' it up during the game, I don't get the feeling the players are all that at odds here.

The good news? For once, I actually think the Cowboys might have a mentally tough team developing before our eyes. They somehow drowned out all the noise and actually won a huge game in December.

Is this a changing point? Has the team bonded? Who knows. Fortunately, just like with the crap last week, that too will be proven on the field over the next two games.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RainMan;2494939 said:
Sides were taken throughout the week because of all the reports, which I'm sure we can all agree have at least some truth (meaning, yes, there's some tension on where balls are going; was it all overblown? probably).

Anyway, reports had us questioning Barber's toughness, whether Witten was a snitch, that Romo was a choke and T.O. a cancer.

A few days later, they beat the supposed best team in football somewhat handily and control their playoff destiny.

Sports teams are a funny thing. Some can have players singing kumbaya (sp?) yet can't win a thing. Others can have players at odds yet take it all. Perhaps we'll fit in neither category, but I think this week proved one thing:

All of the talk -- all of it; from T.O. being a cancer to Witten a snitch -- was overrated. It had no bearing on the game. And judging from Choice borrowing from T.O.'s celebration and T.O. chattin' it up during the game, I don't get the feeling the players are all that at odds here.

The good news? For once, I actually think the Cowboys might have a mentally tough team developing before our eyes. They somehow drowned out all the noise and actually won a huge game in December.

Is this a changing point? Has the team bonded? Who knows. Fortunately, just like with the crap last week, that too will be proven on the field over the next two games.
The team's mental toughness is my main concern. There is too much talent on this team for them not to achieve their goals (e.g. the Super Bowl), but they have to take care of business regardless of injuries, penalties, controversy, etc. It's crunch time and they are capable, but they have to remain focused.

However, the crap of the past week will most likely escalate. With Owens public accusation that Ed Werder lied about his reported events, the media spotlight will grow brighter and hotter on this team. It doesn't matter whether it's right or wrong. It's coming and the media scrutiny will probably come from both within AND outside ESPN's coverage of the team.

This team has what it takes to go all the way, but again, it must remain focused and take care of business on the field.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
DallasEast;2494963 said:
The team's mental toughness is my main concern. There is too much talent on this team for them not to achieve their goals (e.g. the Super Bowl), but they have to take care of business regardless of injuries, penalties, controversy, etc. It's crunch time and they are capable, but they have to remain focused.

However, the crap of the past week will most likely escalate. With Owens public accusation that Ed Werder lied about his reported events, the media spotlight will grow brighter and hotter on this team. It doesn't matter whether it's right or wrong. It's coming and the media scrutiny will probably come from both within AND outside ESPN's coverage of the team.

This team has what it takes to go all the way, but again, it must remain focused and take care of business on the field.
Wouldn't it be something if we did go all the way?

That would make for a helluva America's Game.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
windward;2494974 said:
Wouldn't it be something if we did go all the way?

That would make for a helluva America's Game.
It would definitely secure a lot more subscribers for NFL Network, that's for sure. :)

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
DallasEast;2494963 said:

I think you nailed an important point regarding ESPN. If you thought the coverage was mean-spirited before, wait until now. T.O. called them out repeatedly tonight and blankly said they lied. Certainly, ESPN execs will want to launch an attack themselves not only to clear their name, but further ruin T.O.'s.

I can't say I entirely know what to expect. Dirtier stuff? More sources? A deeper look at what went on last week with non-anonymous quotes? Dunno. They can't name their sources for integrity purposes, and I'm not sure how much interest viewers will have in rehashing everything from last week once again. With us winning, I think last week's events become a non-story.

It resurfaces, though, if new events take place this week. Do sources leak another fight? More secretive meetings? That T.O. is sleeping with someone's wife? The list of potential silliness has no limits, really.

The only cure is for the locker room to become air tight, but that's hard when you have so many people -- and people that, frankly, can have different agendas (it's not out of the realm of possibility that a fifth-string receiver WANTS T.O. to fail, you know). Plus, there's agents, family, friends, coaches -- so many people, someone will talk.

MONT17

Reaction score
Great win but the Giants were without 2 key guys and are fading fast!

a win is a win and the Giants might not clinch a bye meaning we could see them again in 3 weeks.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
MONT17;2495012 said:

a win is a win and the Giants might not clinch a bye meaning we could see them again in 3 weeks.
I say we play Arizona in the first round.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RainMan;2494994 said:
I think you nailed an important point regarding ESPN. If you thought the coverage was mean-spirited before, wait until now. T.O. called them out repeatedly tonight and blankly said they lied. Certainly, ESPN execs will want to launch an attack themselves not only to clear their name, but further ruin T.O.'s.

I can't say I entirely know what to expect. Dirtier stuff? More sources? A deeper look at what went on last week with non-anonymous quotes? Dunno. They can't name their sources for integrity purposes, and I'm not sure how much interest viewers will have in rehashing everything from last week once again. With us winning, I think last week's events become a non-story.

It resurfaces, though, if new events take place this week. Do sources leak another fight? More secretive meetings? That T.O. is sleeping with someone's wife? The list of potential silliness has no limits, really.

The only cure is for the locker room to become air tight, but that's hard when you have so many people -- and people that, frankly, can have different agendas (it's not out of the realm of possibility that a fifth-string receiver WANTS T.O. to fail, you know). Plus, there's agents, family, friends, coaches -- so many people, someone will talk.
This is exactly what I keep pointing out.

It's true. You can't shut everyone up.

It's true. Anything that anyone says to the media can be relayed truthfully or in a twisted fashion.

Terrell Owens can't control that kind of negative press. It's impossible. Period.

However.

Terrell Owens can control his own mouth and by doing so, he can help his cap the amount of media scrutiny focused on both himself and the team. Or he can not care, provide soundbites, and make things worse. It is really just that simple.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
MONT17;2495012 said:

Please. We just beat a two-or-whatever-loss team. And don't give me the injury excuse. I refuse to use it for us and will not accept it for other teams.

(By the way: I'm not trying to sound harsh toward you personally. That argument just gets me heated.) :)

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
DallasEast;2495026 said:
This is exactly what I keep pointing out.

It's true. You can't shut everyone up.

It's true. Anything that anyone says to the media can be relayed truthfully or in a twisted fashion.

Terrell Owens can't control that kind of negative press. It's impossible. Period.

However.

Terrell Owens can control his own mouth and by doing so, he can help his cap the amount of media scrutiny focused on both himself and the team. Or he can not care, provide soundbites, and make things worse. It is really just that simple.

What was interesting is you could tell tonight after the game (during the podium press conference, at least) just how emotionally frazzled he is over this whole thing. Even in his bashing of Werder, he seemed like he was on the verge of crying -- not ready to rage war in the drive way and start doing sit ups. I'm no psychologist, but I almost got the feeling this week's whole soap opera truly caught him off guard, as opposed to being a battle he was ready to launch.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RainMan;2495047 said:
What was interesting is you could tell tonight after the game (during the podium press conference, at least) just how emotionally frazzled he is over this whole thing. Even in his bashing of Werder, he seemed like he was on the verge of crying -- not ready to rage war in the drive way and start doing sit ups. I'm no psychologist, but I almost got the feeling this week's whole soap opera truly caught him off guard, as opposed to being a battle he was ready to launch.

I agree. He's an emotional guy and clearly this week took its toll on him. I believe him when said Werder lied. TO is no saint, but he is brutally honest.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
RainMan;2495047 said:

After hearing him speak I really felt bad for even hating on him during the week. Perhaps he is a victim or his reputation. While TO was being trashed by everyone, Clinton Portis made direct attacks on his coach calling him a 'genius' sarcastically, Willie Parker called out his coach for abandoning the run with tomlin responding something like "The team values the superbowls they won, not the rushing titles."

Everyone was too busy throwing TO under the bus. There are dozens of other players who do worse things, but never get the spotlight shined in their direction. Theres suspicion of TO misbehaving and everyone wants him cut. It was his word vs Werder, and as a result even the fans boo'ed him. I don't know what everyone else is feeling, but I am ashamed that this happened.

Make it right this Saturday.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2495130 said:
I agree. He's an emotional guy and clearly this week took its toll on him. I believe him when said Werder lied. TO is no saint, but he is brutally honest.

The thing that weirds me out, though, is that you don't really see others coming out and saying the whole thing was a lie. Romo and Wade kind of took the "Well, I'm not going to talk about what did or didn't happen," approach, insinuating something, even if overblown, did take place. Where as T.O. flatly, repeatedly stated it was all lies.

Further confusing me is that it seems like T.O. is saying the entire thing was a lie. The jealousy, resentments, secretive meetings, near fight. I find it hard to believe it was all made up, even if certain elements were or, at the least, were overblown.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
RainMan;2495163 said:
The thing that weirds me out, though, is that you don't really see others coming out and saying the whole thing was a lie. Romo and Wade kind of took the "Well, I'm not going to talk about what did or didn't happen," approach, insinuating something, even if overblown, did take place. Where as T.O. flatly, repeatedly stated it was all lies.

Further confusing me is that it seems like T.O. is saying the entire thing was a lie. The jealousy, resentments, secretive meetings, near fight. I find it hard to believe it was all made up, even if certain elements were or, at the least, were overblown.

Well we know for a fact some reports are wrong. PFT and whoever they quoted said Romo never stood up and addressed the team during Friday's meeting. Romo himself said he did during the post game conference. If that simple fact is wrong, what other details are wrong?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
RainMan;2494939 said:

Hey a lot of us said sunday will tell you how much of an issue this was or was not. I am just glad what ever happened got aired out and the team focused on football yesterday.

Go Big D!

Destination End Zone
Reaction score
RainMan;2495163 said:

Witten sounded like he was unsure where it all came from, too.