Great use of colorized images

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The gentleman below was Maj. Gen. "Fighting" Joe Hooker.

He was a somewhat controversial Union General during the Civil War.

He led a division in the Army of the Potomac III Corps during the Peninsula Campaign in 1862. He later commanded the I Corps at Antietam and was made the commander of the Army of the Potomac of during the Chancellorsville Campaign.

"Fighting" Joe was an aggressive general who was considered unsavory by many of his peers.

The term "Hooker" goes back to him and his reputation for entertaining "soiled doves".

Anyway a person by the handle of ColorizedPast creates and shares these on civilwartalk.com

Heck of a nice job really.

201010-Joseph-Hooker-Comparison.jpg

cowboyec

Reaction score
side note....i hate it when they colorize a classic b&w movie.
its an abomination in my opinion.
it is a lost art these days.
there is something special about filming in b&w....the shadows....night scenes....it becomes like another character in the film.
love b&w movies.

Hardline

Reaction score
side note....i hate it when they colorize a classic b&w movie.
its an abomination in my opinion.
it is a lost art these days.
there is something special about filming in b&w....the shadows....night scenes....it becomes like another character in the film.
love b&w movies.
I have no problem with colorization as long as we still have the originals.
And I'm a huge fan of the silent movie era.

nobody

Reaction score
Most colorization just makes it look so....weird and the colors are off or something.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most colorization just makes it look so....weird and the colors are off or something.
Ted Turner pioneered that because he said the younger generation needed to watch the classics and wouldn't in their original form.

Films like The Philadelphia Story, It Happened One Night, The Thin Man's and Casablanca need to be seen in B&W. My BluRay of It's A Wonderful Life has both and I've never even touched the colorized version.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ted Turner pioneered that because he said the younger generation needed to watch the classics and wouldn't in their original form.

Films like The Philadelphia Story, It Happened One Night, The Thin Man's and Casablanca need to be seen in B&W. My BluRay of It's A Wonderful Life has both and I've never even touched the colorized version.
Slightly off-topic but I have always been surprised Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable played in two films together (that I know of). They had excellent on-screen chemistry.

It Happened One Night is a genuine classic regardless in black-and-white or colorized. The movie is straight from the early 1930's though. I think some audiences would be entertained by its satirical humor, which I think is timeless, if they could get themselves beyond seeing visuals of a time they cannot (or want to) grasp mentally. That has always been my opinion why some movie fans find older films dull and boring. And why colorizing them will not alter their perception of them.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread up because I've found a great Youtube channel on colorization. JBColourisation is by a gentleman in Great Britain who does an amazing job colorizing old photos, and he shows us the steps he takes in doing so. He usually uses Photoshop, but he has some videos in which he uses Gimp.

It makes me think I could do this myself. I have some skill in image editing which I first acquired when I started designing web sites and later used when I did photography.

Here's one of the videos he did while he colorized an old photo of Eddie Poe:

And here's his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/JBColourisation/videos

He does outstanding work. Makes me wonder if I could get good at colorizing stuff in Gimp. I use it for other things. The other image editor I use is PhotoImpact, which is an old program owned by Corel, but basically orphaned. It's a shame because PI is a very good program. It's last version came out in 2007, but I still find it very useful. I don't use Photoshop. Adobe has gone to a monthly subscription payment system. I refuse to pay into any system like that. I paid one upfront fee to use PhotoImpact and then did not have to pay anything to keep using it until I wanted to upgrade to a newer version. And Gimp is 100 percent free. I've dumped any software that went over to the subscription-based payment method. If I paid that way for every program I want to use, I would have a hefty monthly sum every month. To heck with that when there's so much good legally free software out there. I also dumped Microsoft Office in favor of LibreOffice.

But back to colorization. This guy is very good at what he does. It makes me wonder if I should learn colorization in Gimp.

catiii

Reaction score
I personally think it's awesome when they update old photo/video from the past.

Like this video for example. I find it fascinating.

I do find it facinating but there's something scary about it that I can't put my finger on...something about seeing such a realistic video of the world you were not in (nor your parents) at the time is creepy to me for some reason. Especially when you know the things that are to come for those in the video - WW1, Spanish Flu, you get the idea.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I do find it facinating but there's something scary about it that I can't put my finger on...something about seeing such a realistic video of the world you were not in (nor your parents) at the time is creepy to me for some reason. Especially when you know the things that are to come for those in the video - WW1, Spanish Flu, you get the idea.
No, I kind of get it. I think about that stuff all the time. I'm in a history group on FB for my area and people are always posting pictures of my city back in the early 1900s. It's hard to explain, but it trips me out to look at old pictures of my city and to think that you are looking at something so familiar*, yet, it was in a world which yet I existed or even knew existed. (*obviously things have changed since then but certain landscapes, streets, etc. sometime remain the same)

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic but I have always been surprised Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable played in two films together (that I know of). They had excellent on-screen chemistry.

It Happened One Night is a genuine classic regardless in black-and-white or colorized. The movie is straight from the early 1930's though. I think some audiences would be entertained by its satirical humor, which I think is timeless, if they could get themselves beyond seeing visuals of a time they cannot (or want to) grasp mentally. That has always been my opinion why some movie fans find older films dull and boring. And why colorizing them will not alter their perception of them.
I like that one, Boom Town is the other and not near as good. From my recollection it starts out well in the beginning but once they get into the big business stuff of the oil industry it got boring.