Greatest American Rock Band

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Actually 3/5 is from UK, so while it's true the band didn't become what it did until after Buckingham and Nicks joined, it was still founded entirely in England, the majority of the band is English, and Christine McVie was one of the prominent songwriters (of course along with Nicks and Buckingham).

In the end I suppose it depends on how one defines "American Rock Band"
Are you for real? “Actually 3/5 are...”. Dang dude.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a side note, this thread has made realize how much better English bands have been at standing the test of time. We have nothing to compare to the Beatles, Stones, or Led Zep

That's a valid point.

What is it about UK bands that make or made them so great?

Even if you just consider Paul McCartney & Wings, I mean they kicked the arse of every American 70's band out there when it came to record sales.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's Winicki's fault... lol. He brought up #1 records and hit singles and such.
Damn you, Winiicki... lol

I just don't know how you can ignore record sales... If a band is that good and popular that it whips all the soloist's, groups, country cross-overs and ends up at the top of the Hot-100... Damn, that's quite the accomplishment.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
One of the criteria has to be whether or not the music has stood the test of time. I saw someone had DMB on here. Nobody is listening to that sh--t now. It was huge in its day and faded. Meanwhile your grand kids and great grand kids will still be rocking out to Aerosmith, CCR, Van Halen ect.

On a side note, this thread has made realize how much better English bands have been at standing the test of time. We have nothing to compare to the Beatles, Stones, or Led Zep

You forgot Pink Floyd.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just don't know how you can ignore record sales... If a band is that good and popular that it whips all the soloist's, groups, country cross-overs and ends up at the top of the Hot-100... Damn, that's quite the accomplishment.
Popularity doesn't necessarily equate to greatness, or higher quality than something less popular.
Atlanta brought up a great point about bands standing the test of time. I think, in order to consider a band great, it should be generational in its scope.
Aerosmith, CSN&Y, Doors, etc. are all examples of generational music. I'm not sure you can say that about the Eagles.
I remember going to see Aerosmith for their Permanent Vacation tour, and all the kids waiting in line, talking about what a great new band it was. Lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
People will hate it but I vote:
1. Nirvana--defined a genre of rock and unequivocally American.
2. Tom Petty and the HB--again very American and a genre of singer/songwriter rock.
3. Van Halen--Harder edged more international style but American boys.
4. Aerosmith--basically same as above.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Popularity doesn't necessarily equate to greatness, or higher quality than something less popular.
Atlanta brought up a great point about bands standing the test of time. I think, in order to consider a band great, it should be generational in its scope.
Aerosmith, CSN&Y, Doors, etc. are all examples of generational music. I'm not sure you can say that about the Eagles.
I remember going to see Aerosmith for their Permanent Vacation tour, and all the kids waiting in line, talking about what a great new band it was. Lol.

I don't know if it's all older people or not, but the Eagles are still selling out sizable venues, I think even after Glenn Frey died. Of course part of the thing with Aersosmith is they started putting out hit songs later in the life of the band, which CSN&Y, Doors, Eagles etc have not. Of course, there was no "later in the life of the band" with The Doors.

Xelda

Reaction score
There's got to be groups that can knock the Beach Boys out of this conversation.

Can we at least agree rock should involve guitars, a drum, and not be on the Lawrence Welk Show?
That's wunaful and we agree to your terms.
If you go by sales, Britney Spears is better than some of the bands mentioned.

Let's not go by sales.
Nope, we must take sales into consideration. Britney Spears is in the running for greatest American rock band. Ok, never mind. I won't do it again. Oh bay bay bay bay.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think the problem with measuring the "how long a band was great" criteria is that most people like what they like when they're young and carry that for the rest of their lives. The result is they can be out of touch with what types of music others are interested in or following.