Greatest Comeback In Sports

lukin2006

Reaction score
People survive cancer, and it's certainly great and worthy of celebration when one does, but to then inject "poison" into your body is a slap in the face to everyone who wasn't as fortunate

How do you know woods isn't juicing? He was linked to that Canadian Dr. that was linked to HGH. His decline happened after 2011 when the good dr. was busted...and now suddenly a 40+-year-old with multiple back surgery is miraculously healed...I am not buying it that he is clean...not even close.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
One word.. Tiger

Tiger's comeback from multiple back injuries (surgeries) is no different than Mario Lemieux coming back from multible back injuries (Surgeries) to play in the NHL, now if you throw in the fact that Lemieux also came back from Hodskins lymphoma midway thru his career to again play in the NHL, who's comeback looks more impressive to you? And as far as stature as a player Lemieux is on most peoples top 3 list of greatest players to play in the NHL. Tigers comeback is impressive but it is nowhere close to what some others have posted here about comebacks, my bet is Tiger would also agree with that

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tiger's comeback from multiple back injuries (surgeries) is no different than Mario Lemieux coming back from multible back injuries (Surgeries) to play in the NHL, now if you throw in the fact that Lemieux also came back from Hodskins lymphoma midway thru his career to again play in the NHL, who's comeback looks more impressive to you? And as far as stature as a player Lemieux is on most peoples top 3 list of greatest players to play in the NHL. Tigers comeback is impressive but it is nowhere close to what some others have posted here about comebacks, my bet is Tiger would also agree with that
If you hadn’t mentioned Lemieux association with Hockey , I would have never guessed who he was. I’ve never watched a complete hockey game in my life. Wayne Gretzky is only player I could name.

I understand it’s a subjective subject. But Tiger being who he is and even if you don’t follow golf or sports, would have some name recognition. Probably the largest sports figure on the planet.

And his comeback is associated not only with coming back to play at a professional level but returning to be a champion again.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
If you hadn’t mentioned Lemieux association with Hockey , I would have never guessed who he was. I’ve never watched a complete hockey game in my life. Wayne Gretzky is only player I could name.

I understand it’s a subjective subject. But Tiger being who he is and even if you don’t follow golf or sports, would have some name recognition. Probably the largest sports figure on the planet.

And his comeback is associated not only with coming back to play at a professional level but returning to be a champion again.

So is everyone else mentioned in this thread. Greatest comeback shouldn't be confused with greatest popularity

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Probably would have helped :D
To me it’s one of if not the greatest comeback. But I can see how it might not be as great to others.

I live and breathe golf almost as much as football.

In my lifetime I’d prob includ Ali as only other that would be comparable in stature, again because of the importance to me and their recognition.

Yea, popularity and polarization does matter. Kinda hard to appreciate if you don’t know who they are or have any connection.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
To me it’s one of if not the greatest comeback. But I can see how it might not be as great to others.

I live and breathe golf almost as much as football.

In my lifetime I’d prob include Muhammad Ali as only other that would be comparable , again because of the importance to me and stature of their recognition. Yea, popularity and polarization does matter.

Kinda hard to appreciate if you don’t know who they are or have any connection.

Ali would be at the top of my list!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
How do you know woods isn't juicing? He was linked to that Canadian Dr. that was linked to HGH. His decline happened after 2011 when the good dr. was busted...and now suddenly a 40+-year-old with multiple back surgery is miraculously healed...I am not buying it that he is clean...not even close.

He may be, and if it's shown that he is juicing, then I imagine most people would no longer hail this as a great comeback. It's not like I'm knocking Armstrong and there is some doubt surrounding him. He did it. He got caught and finally admitted it because the evidence was overwhelming.

lukin2006

Reaction score
He may be, and if it's shown that he is juicing, then I imagine most people would no longer hail this as a great comeback. It's not like I'm knocking Armstrong and there is some doubt surrounding him. He did it. He got caught and finally admitted it because the evidence was overwhelming.

My take on Armstrong is he was just doing what they all did...that's why they vacated those Championships.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Are we talking individual or team? The greatest comeback in sports is the 1980 US Olympic men’s hockey team which came back in every game to go on to win the gold medal including against the Russians who was the greatest hockey team ever assembled.