Greatest Dynasties in Men's/Women's College Sports?

DFWJC

Reaction score
What have been the great dynasties in Men's and/or Women's Colleges Sports?

There are many choices across so many different sports.

To leave room for Zoners to participate, I will submit only 1, but it will be hard to top.

North Carolina Tar Heel Women's Soccer

While the top 2 most high-profile NCAA men's spots are by far Football and Basketball, I think for women, the most popular and followed are soccer and possibly basketball.
US Women's soccer is world-renowned.

Anyway
Here is the UNC Women's Soccer resume
  • 21 National Championships (for perspective, the next closest is...3)
  • 16 Titles in 18 years, 18 in 21
  • 9 National Player of the Years
  • 10 more NCAA final 4s..so 31 total
  • 103 match win streak and also a 101 match win streak
  • More than double any other program for US Women's Team all-time

What is ONE of your choices for All-time NCAA dynasty?

DFWJC

Reaction score
NCAA Men's Basketball

While there is for sure no single, clear overall long-term dominant program,
the biggest mini-dynasty by far was UCLA's run in the 60s-70s.

• 10 NCAA titles in 12 years...wow. Although it was 25-35 years ago, that was insane
  • 11 NCAA Titles overall (Kentucky is next with 8, then UNC with 6)
They really haven't been consistently good in decades, but for that coach John Wooden stretch, they were unmatched.

Btw, I'd say the best overall programs throughout history are all fairly even..with maybe Kentuck having a slight lead over North Carolina, Kansas, Duke, UCLA, etc.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The greatest in college major sports are UCLA men’s basketball and UConn women’s basketball.

In professional sports the Celtics and Yankees.

There’s been others but no one else dominated as long racking up as many championships.

Last edited:

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
University of Iowa wrestling. 23 National Championships and 6 Runner up finishes since 1975. 284 all-americans, 72 individual national champions, 130 NCAA finalists, 3 Hodge Trophy winners (wrestling's Heisman), 23 Olympians (5 gold medalists), 5 World Champions.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Ok St is #2 for me. Nearly half their team titles came pre-1950. They were the gold standard for a very long time, but Iowa is the modern day dynasty that people want to be. Penn State is well on their way to becoming the next dynasty though, but they have a long way to go to catch Iowa and OK St.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I’ll still take the 21 national titles in UNC’s women's soccer, in a-sport far more universally popular than wrestling or say, West Virginia’s dominant rifle team (19 ncaa titles)

Not that I don't love wrestling. Man dad coached it for many years with great success.
Have even dined with Dan Gable

But its all in good fun, so have at it!
So e really great contributions to this thread.

Bigdog

Reaction score
The Messiah men’s soccer team has won 11 titles since 2000. The Hobart men’s lacrosse team won 16 national titles (14 for D3; 2 for D2). What’s impressive is that these schools (for all D3 colleges) they did it without given scholarships because they can’t.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
The Messiah men’s soccer team has won 11 titles since 2000. The Hobart men’s lacrosse team won 16 national titles (14 for D3; 2 for D2). What’s impressive is that these schools (for all D3 colleges) they did it without given scholarships because they can’t.
There are ways around that. D3 schools give tons of money to athletes in the form of academic scholarships/grants.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I’ll still take the 21 national titles in UNC’s women's soccer, in a-sport far more universally popular than wrestling or say, West Virginia’s dominant rifle team (19 ncaa titles)

Not that I don't love wrestling. Man dad coached it for many years with great success.
Have even dined with Dan Gable

But its all in good fun, so have at it!
So e really great contributions to this thread.
I get that, but at the same time their early titles came when there were very few women's programs. They were dominant against a relatively small field of competitors.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ok St is #2 for me. Nearly half their team titles came pre-1950. They were the gold standard for a very long time, but Iowa is the modern day dynasty that people want to be. Penn State is well on their way to becoming the next dynasty though, but they have a long way to go to catch Iowa and OK St.

Actually, that's Penn St. I think they've won something like 8 out of the last 10 years or something. Iowa hasn't really won since 2010. Don't get me wrong, I went to Dan Gable's wrestling camp when I was young. I have great respect for that program but if you look at say the last 20 years, Iowa has 3 titles, OKSt. has 4.

DFWJC

Reaction score
maybe your guy Elhinger will take one from them.
Starting to wonder if Mack’s Tar Heels may be as good or better than the Horns in a couple of years
:laugh:
Wouldn't that be ironic.

Like McCarthy, sometimes you need to step away to rekindle the passion.