Greece & Egypt Travel

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I’ve been in Paris since the 18th. I did the Normandy WW2 day tour. When I was on the tour the guide asked me if NYC is like Paris, I responded there’s one major difference, people in NYC don’t stare at each other as they’re walking by. Here in Paris everyone seems to want to be noticed. If you don’t look at them they step in your path. This is my 2nd time in Paris but I still find this to be strange.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We are doing a 12 night Princess cruise in Feb. Starts in Rome then onto 3 Islands in Greece, Turkey and Sicily And the Amalfi Coast. We will arrive in Rome 3 days early as I want to of course do the Coliseum and other assorted places. Ship is brand new, we will be the second cruisers. Have been to Russia in 97 but not anywhere else in Europe at all so this will be a good start.

Have seen pictures of Red Square lately, beautiful snow fall and all lit up for Christmas, was absolutely beautiful. Has anyone been to Russia lately or have plans to visit? In 97 it was still kind of the Wild West as everyone was getting used to capitalism. Fun times…
I have traveled to Russia many times during the past 20 years on both business and personal trips... side note, my wife is Russian and she still has family there. She immigrated to Cananda in 2022 and still maintains dual Canadian and Russian citizenship.

Neither of us have been there since the beginning of the Ukrainian war. That said, Russia is one of my favorite places to travel. I enjoy the culture and history very much.

While Moscow is a great destination, I really love Saint Petersburg. If you want to see something different, visit the Golden Ring cities like Sergiev Posad, Suzdal, Vladimir, and Yaroslavl. They make up what is believed to be the first cities of the original Rus empire.

As far as entry to Russia (not withstanding the current conflict) it is not much different than most of EU anymore. You still require a visa, however.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I have traveled to Russia many times during the past 20 years on both business and personal trips... side note, my wife is Russian and she still has family there. She immigrated to Cananda in 2022 and still maintains dual Canadian and Russian citizenship.

Neither of us have been there since the beginning of the Ukrainian war. That said, Russia is one of my favorite places to travel. I enjoy the culture and history very much.

While Moscow is a great destination, I really love Saint Petersburg. If you want to see something different, visit the Golden Ring cities like Sergiev Posad, Suzdal, Vladimir, and Yaroslavl. They make up what is believed to be the first cities of the original Rus empire.

As far as entry to Russia (not withstanding the current conflict) it is not much different than most of EU anymore. You still require a visa, however.
Out of curiosity, did your wife ever learn anything about a Tartarian empire?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Out of curiosity, did your wife ever learn anything about a Tartarian empire?
Yes, she has a couple of university friends that trace their origins to Kazan and the Volga Tartars. We lived, for a while, in Kazakhstan and you couldn't escape the references to the Turkic ethnic group... I am no expert, but what little I know of the history is quite interesting.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I’ve been in Paris since the 18th. I did the Normandy WW2 day tour. When I was on the tour the guide asked me if NYC is like Paris, I responded there’s one major difference, people in NYC don’t stare at each other as they’re walking by. Here in Paris everyone seems to want to be noticed. If you don’t look at them they step in your path. This is my 2nd time in Paris but I still find this to be strange.
Are the German bunkers still intact in Normandy? Do they keep the blockades on the beach for tourists? Or all cleaned up and bombed to nothing?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Yes, she has a couple of university friends that trace their origins to Kazan and the Volga Tartars. We lived, for a while, in Kazakhstan and you couldn't escape the references to the Turkic ethnic group... I am no expert, but what little I know of the history is quite interesting.
From the little I have heard, it is. I don't know if you have been there, but Astana is an interesting looking city.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
From the little I have heard, it is. I don't know if you have been there, but Astana is an interesting looking city.
I used to travel to Astana on a fairly regular basis. If your not aware, it was a purpose- built capital meant to show the world the new and modern Kazakhstan.... oil money built Astana.