Greece & Egypt Travel

visionary

Reaction score
Only 3 nights in Egypt all in Giza. If I like it and go back I will try to get to Luxor. I’ve seen the Luxor site on TV, looks awesome.
Luxor is older and better than Giza
Go there even if for 1 day
They do 1 day tours from Cairo

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. Other than Egypt I've never had a desire to see anything in the Middle East and like you I could care less about religion. If a country has to use heavy security to protect their tourists than I'm just not interested. I'll take a beach in the Caribbean and you can keep your world history thanks very much. That said, I hope Sarek has a great time and stays safe on his journeys.
USVI is a great destination if you are US citizen. Three islands in Caribbean that you can vacation at without out a passport. Normally you fly into Puerto Rico and from there to St Thomas. No Passport needed.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
USVI is a great destination if you are US citizen. Three islands in Caribbean that you can vacation at without out a passport. Normally you fly into Puerto Rico and from there to St Thomas. No Passport needed.
Yeah we've been to St. John and loved it. Obviously flew into and ferried from St. Thomas but didn't spend much time there. My wife and I traveled a bunch when we were younger. Every place we went we'd discuss afterward that we wish we'd had taken a beach vacation instead. It seems to be the only place we really relax. So we decided years ago to try to see all of the Caribbean. Been to Jamaica 3 times, Turks and Caicos twice, Caymans, Bahamas twice, all over Mexico, Costa Rica, Antigua, Dominican Republic, Dominica, St. Kitts, Grenada, Puerto Rico, and are making our first trip to Belize in January.

Probably boring to some people, but it works for us. Flying out of Texas we can be to any of the destinations in one day. We love the culture and the food. We both love to fish and snorkel and it's usually the only excursions that we do. More than anything we like to lay on the beach, suck on cocktails, and pretend we don't ever have to go back home.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah we've been to St. John and loved it. Obviously flew into and ferried from St. Thomas but didn't spend much time there. My wife and I traveled a bunch when we were younger. Every place we went we'd discuss afterward that we wish we'd had taken a beach vacation instead. It seems to be the only place we really relax. So we decided years ago to try to see all of the Caribbean. Been to Jamaica 3 times, Turks and Caicos twice, Caymans, Bahamas twice, all over Mexico, Costa Rica, Antigua, Dominican Republic, Dominica, St. Kitts, Grenada, Puerto Rico, and are making our first trip to Belize in January.

Probably boring to some people, but it works for us. Flying out of Texas we can be to any of the destinations in one day. We love the culture and the food. We both love to fish and snorkel and it's usually the only excursions that we do. More than anything we like to lay on the beach, suck on cocktails, and pretend we don't ever have to go back home.
I always wanted to go on a week long trip to the Dry Tortuga's. You basically have to camp there and bring your own food and water but it looks like it would be a great camping exp.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I always wanted to go on a week long trip to the Dry Tortuga's. You basically have to camp there and bring your own food and water but it looks like it would be a great camping exp.
Dry Tortugas is awesome, spent a week there but was on a live-aboard scuba boat, no camping. The reefs are still in pristine condition unlike Cozumel, Belize, etc. Cruise ships haven’t ruined it there….yet :angry:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dry Tortugas is awesome, spent a week there but was on a live-aboard scuba boat, no camping. The reefs are still in pristine condition unlike Cozumel, Belize, etc. Cruise ships haven’t ruined it there….yet :angry:
Sounds awesome. Snorkeling and scuba for days would be so awesome and peaceful. That does not even include walking around and admiring the amazing structure that was made there years ago.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sounds awesome. Snorkeling and scuba for days would be so awesome and peaceful. That does not even include walking around and admiring the amazing structure that was made there years ago.
Fort Jefferson? Yea, it’s pretty amazing.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Athens is very nice. In Egypt now, as soon as I got to customs a Egyptian official came to meet me and walked me through customs security and told me to tell everyone I meet that I have been to Egypt many times. My host is very nice brought me back and forth to the supermarket. Tomorrow Giza Sakkara and Memphis tour followed by Alexandria the day after.

Gonna miss tonight’s game.

Let’s go Cowboys!

:flagwave:

rags747

Reaction score
We are doing a 12 night Princess cruise in Feb. Starts in Rome then onto 3 Islands in Greece, Turkey and Sicily And the Amalfi Coast. We will arrive in Rome 3 days early as I want to of course do the Coliseum and other assorted places. Ship is brand new, we will be the second cruisers. Have been to Russia in 97 but not anywhere else in Europe at all so this will be a good start.

Have seen pictures of Red Square lately, beautiful snow fall and all lit up for Christmas, was absolutely beautiful. Has anyone been to Russia lately or have plans to visit? In 97 it was still kind of the Wild West as everyone was getting used to capitalism. Fun times…

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We are doing a 12 night Princess cruise in Feb. Starts in Rome then onto 3 Islands in Greece, Turkey and Sicily And the Amalfi Coast. We will arrive in Rome 3 days early as I want to of course do the Coliseum and other assorted places. Ship is brand new, we will be the second cruisers. Have been to Russia in 97 but not anywhere else in Europe at all so this will be a good start.

Have seen pictures of Red Square lately, beautiful snow fall and all lit up for Christmas, was absolutely beautiful. Has anyone been to Russia lately or have plans to visit? In 97 it was still kind of the Wild West as everyone was getting used to capitalism. Fun times…
Sounds like fun. Good luck in Russia.

If they have any reason or suspicion to arrest you or give you a hard time…..they certainly will.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score

Rome is awesome, better do a list and then do google maps with places in proper walking order, otherwise you will lose time zigzagging. Roman forum is a must right after the coliseum followed by plaza Venezia and capitaline museum. There’s also statues and columns along the way.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I’m at the airport in Cairo waiting for my flight back to Athens. Air pollution is bad here, and everyone here is trying to sell something. Happy I saw the pyramids, not a place I would do a 2nd time.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I’m at the airport in Cairo waiting for my flight back to Athens. Air pollution is bad here, and everyone here is trying to sell something. Happy I saw the pyramids, not a place I would do a 2nd time.
Is the air pollution from industry, the 9million people, a combination, or what?

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Is the air pollution from industry, the 9million people, a combination, or what?
Combination plus sand being kicked up by wind. The real crazy part is they throw trash on old destroyed houses and there’s quite a few of those in Giza. So it’s pollution and a nasty smell. My nose throat and lungs finally feeling a little better but I can still feel it.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Combination plus sand being kicked up by wind. The real crazy part is they throw trash on old destroyed houses and there’s quite a few of those in Giza. So it’s pollution and a nasty smell. My nose throat and lungs finally feeling a little better but I can still feel it.
Enjoy the rest of the trip. Out of curiosity, after you are done with your trip, i would like to know your favorite thing you did, and where your favorite meal came from

rags747

Reaction score
Rome is awesome, better do a list and then do google maps with places in proper walking order, otherwise you will lose time zigzagging. Roman forum is a must right after the coliseum followed by plaza Venezia and capitaline museum. There’s also statues and columns along the way.
Yes we are also doing the Forum and Piazza Venezia, just had the wife confirm. I knew we were doing the Coliseum but we will be doing the Forum as well Same tickets and then based off your post we are adding in Piazza Venezia as it looks dynamite. Thx!

Food in Egypt, Cairo etc! What was your best dish, exciting and or exotic?

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Yes we are also doing the Forum and Piazza Venezia, just had the wife confirm. I knew we were doing the Coliseum but we will be doing the Forum as well Same tickets and then based off your post we are adding in Piazza Venezia as it looks dynamite. Thx!

Food in Egypt, Cairo etc! What was your best dish, exciting and or exotic?
I didn’t eat any Egyptian food, I just got stuff from the supermarket.

When you exit the forum, across the street is a great statue of Augustus and on that same side of the street is Trajan’s column, then you cross the street back again to do Piazza Venezia. When you come down the stairs to exit Piazza Venezia you go left and up a small hill then another quick left kind of hidden and that’s the Capitaline Museum, even if you don’t go inside the Museum there’s a statue of Marcus Aurelius outside at the top of the stairs.

If no one you’re going with has been to Rome before I would definitely do all of this preplanning for the walking to sites on google maps.

rags747

Reaction score
I didn’t eat any Egyptian food, I just got stuff from the supermarket.

When you exit the forum, across the street is a great statue of Augustus and on that same side of the street is Trajan’s column, then you cross the street back again to do Piazza Venezia. When you come down the stairs to exit Piazza Venezia you go left and up a small hill then another quick left kind of hidden and that’s the Capitaline Museum, even if you don’t go inside the Museum there’s a statue of Marcus Aurelius outside at the top of the stairs.

If no one you’re going with has been to Rome before I would definitely do all of this preplanning for the walking to sites on google maps.
Don’t want to be a PITA but explain Google Maps please. I never use as I’m always on Waze. Are you saying that I can preload all of my destinations in GOOG Maps and then just bring it up when I need? Thx…

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Don’t want to be a PITA but explain Google Maps please. I never use as I’m always on Waze. Are you saying that I can preload all of my destinations in GOOG Maps and then just bring it up when I need? Thx…
Go to google maps website. Click on the walking icon, top left corner. You can now add up to 10 destinations, it will only show two, but you can add more using the plus + icon. Now you need to know what you want to see in Rome. Type in the first destination, now fill out the rest of your destinations. You will now see if your zigzagging, if you are you have to put destinations in their proper order. Rome has lots to see much more than 10 sites. Rinse and repeat for the 2nd set of 10 destinations and so on. When I did mine I had like 40 destinations, 4 pages. I print out each set of 10. Sometimes the internet in Rome is a little shaky so using your phone instead of printed pages is a gamble.