Greedy got greedy

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, the story is that Greedy skipped LSU's bowl game to "protect" his health as a projected top 10 pick. His teammate Devin White played the bowl game and was great. White went #4 overall and Greedy went in round 2. One guy played b/c he loved the game and got rewarded. The other guy showed he only cares about himself.

I think this illustrates a growing issue in college football where guys are getting some really bad advice from folks with a hand in their pocket. Bama's Dieonte Thompson is another guy who thought he was going no later than round 2 so he declared early. He finally got drafted in round 5. How do you not fire your agent after that?

TheDank

Reaction score
They don’t have an agent before their bowl game so that advice shouldn’t be coming from them. In reality I’m sure some things like that happen but that’s more advice from those around them than their actual representatives.

Also we’ve seen plenty of guys get drafted high after not playing in bowl games. I think it has more to do with their tape and believing in mock drafts by analysts who haven’t even watched half of the film they need to in order to make an informed decision.

Conversely if Jaylon Smith doesn’t play his bowl game he probably goes top 10.

Edit: misread your comment about hand in the pocket and agent for deionte. Still shouldn’t have an agent before they decide to leave college football. Feel like coaches/family are the ones advising them before they’ve left the NCAA. Bamas coaches tell people if they can get that money to move on because they’re going to be replaced with 5 star talent. I don’t know what the Tide have behind Thompson but with their recruiting he may have lost his starting job next year and gotten drafted even lower.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
They don’t have an agent before their bowl game so that advice shouldn’t be coming from them. In reality I’m sure some things like that happen but that’s more advice from those around them than their actual representatives.

Also we’ve seen plenty of guys get drafted high after not playing in bowl games. I think it has more to do with their tape and believing in mock drafts by analysts who haven’t even watched half of the film they need to in order to make an informed decision.

Conversely if Jaylon Smith doesn’t play his bowl game he probably goes top 10.

Edit: misread your comment about hand in the pocket and agent for deionte. Still shouldn’t have an agent before they decide to leave college football. Feel like coaches/family are the ones advising them before they’ve left the NCAA. Bamas coaches tell people if they can get that money to move on because they’re going to be replaced with 5 star talent. I don’t know what the Tide have behind Thompson but with their recruiting he may have lost his starting job next year and gotten drafted even lower.

I love your Jaylon Smith example.
Also, Bosa stayed away from his team, took care of himself and still got drafted number 2. More players should look after themselves. I don’t care for this outdated notion of love of football only when it comes to the players.

Tell the schools they don’t get any revenue for the bowl games and the coaches they don’t get a salary and see if they still participate in them......for the love of the game.

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
Man greedy is small that’s why he dropped. He doesn’t have a lot of weight.

Devin white could’ve sat the last 3 games and went top 5-10. He’s a baller and so is greedy

TheDank

Reaction score
To be fair I also see the point that playing in bowl games can prove your love of the game and show you’re a football lifer or old school mentality etc that a lot of front offices value so it can definitely be a plus, I just think it’s unwise for front offices to downgrade a kid for protecting his future if he feels like he’s put good enough tape out to get drafted high.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Christian McCaffrey skipped his bowl game and went top 10. Nick Bosa skipped half the season and went #2. The NFL doesn't care about bowl games, they care about talent.

A lot of players do love playing the game, but you underestimate the risk they take by playing meaningless games. Jaylon would have been a top ten cinch if he was fully healthy and would've got about a $20 million rookie contract. His current deal with the Cowboys is for $6.5 million. Plus he had to spend a year in rehab rather than out playing, plus he had to play a season where he more or less sucked and deal with all the doubts about that. That one bonus college game cost him a lot.

Players like Bosa see that, and then he realizes just how much he has to lose if he aggravates his injury. If he plays through it, best case is he becomes a top 3 pick. Worst case is he tears something, falls in the draft, and loses millions of dollars. If he sits out, he still becomes a top 3 pick. So why would he even play? You can give him crap all day about not being a good teammate or not loving the game, you're not the one with money on the line.

And Deionte Thompson has a degenerative knee condition, so he's got to make his money and make it fast. The NFL was always going to be far lower on him than his tape suggested because of that injury risk, but he had nothing to gain by playing another season at Alabama for free.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, the story is that Greedy skipped LSU's bowl game to "protect" his health as a projected top 10 pick. His teammate Devin White played the bowl game and was great. White went #4 overall and Greedy went in round 2. One guy played b/c he loved the game and got rewarded. The other guy showed he only cares about himself.

I think this illustrates a growing issue in college football where guys are getting some really bad advice from folks with a hand in their pocket. Bama's Dieonte Thompson is another guy who thought he was going no later than round 2 so he declared early. He finally got drafted in round 5. How do you not fire your agent after that?

I think the media just over-rated Greedy.

Thompson was healthy but would not run the forty. The media also over-rated him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thompson was healthy but would not run the forty. The media also over-rated him.

The only knock on Greedy was tackling. If someone had told him that he might slip to round 2 if he doesn't start worrying more about tackling and less about his health, he might have been able to change that perception on the field. Thats the point here. I think the Browns stole him.

Verdammung

Reaction score

I have to say, not super high on either of those guys.

To be accurate, I do believe there were concerns about Deionte Thompson's knees that I didn't hear about until Broaddus was live on the draft show and texted a scout on another team why he was falling.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

This is it. NFL teams don't care for one second whether or not a guy plays in bowl games.

kskboys

Reaction score
The only knock on Greedy was tackling. If someone had told him that he might slip to round 2 if he doesn't start worrying more about tackling and less about his health, he might have been able to change that perception on the field. Thats the point here. I think the Browns stole him.
Relies almost purely on physical traits.

Still, I don't understand him slipping that far.

dallas72

Reaction score

Thompson his production wasnt good..in Alabanacwith all that talent he should have more ints & made more plays

jay94

Reaction score
At the end of the day the biggest scam is college. Alot of their revenue is from sports yet players don't get anything from that. Student debt is like 1.4 trillion dollars tuition goes up every year, majority of degrees don't even get used. The colleges aren't taxed and receive not only tax income, but also donations.

kskboys

Reaction score
At the end of the day the biggest scam is college. Alot of their revenue is from sports yet players don't get anything from that. Student debt is like 1.4 trillion dollars tuition goes up every year, majority of degrees don't even get used. The colleges aren't taxed and receive not only tax income, but also donations.
It's voluntary. Don't go.