Green Bay Packers = Cleveland Browns

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Superpunk with the TKO.

And that writer is critical of the Packers? Really? He gave nearly every matchup on the field to the home team. :cool:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Naaaa, they're not Cleveland, IMO. They're a better team than that, but I don't think they're Philly's level. That homefield advantage is no joke though... although I don't think the fact we've never won there is that big a deal. We've never gone in there with a good team except for once and we faced a dynasty that day (ice bowl).

This Dallas team is the real McCoy and they're not going to get bullied or intimidated by the Green Bay crowd and their legendary stadium (thank you Tony Romo). Dallas is probably the best road team in the league (no Giants, you're not). Tony has icewater in his veins in hostile stadiums and performs maybe better than at home.

The whole team just plays well on the road. Even the rookies are playing like 6 year vets. They all went into Cleveland, performed extremely well, and dominated a pretty good Cleveland team that later went on to play Pittsburgh very close at home.

The thing about Green Bay that bothers teams when they play them are all the WR's. They're deep and talented there and the scheme has been in place so long that the whole team has plenty of continuity (i.e. the passing game is in sync). That makes for a dangerous passing game, regardless of who is at QB. This year, with Rogers having mobility, it has added another dimension to that offense. They're difficult to defend.

However, Dallas isn't the same Dallas that played Green Bay last year. This team is different in ways that I can tell you and in some ways that I can't.

Dallas is a completely different team in the secondary. The talent level isn't even close. People can say all they want about Philly having a secondary as good as Dallas, but it ain't so. The top three players might be comparible between Dallas and Philly, but the depth is what seperates them. It's also the thing that helps Big D match up so well with Green Bay. The starters (now Newman and Henry) and the third corner (now Pac) are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Mike Jenkins, drafted 25th overall, is playing like a vet of several years. He has excellent coverage, as evidenced by his terrific play against Philly when he saved a TD by batting a perfectly thrown pass away from a streaking Lewis. He was all over on Monday and was even the one who finally pushed the ball carrier out of bounds on Philly's desperation lateral attempt at the end of the game.

Orlando Scandrick has been playing as good as (if not better) than Jenkins. He's a quick twitch athlete who can physically play with any receiver. He probably is the steal of the draft for the whole NFL... not just Dallas. Again, another rookie that is playing like a vet.

Now, back to the top three CB's: Newman went to his first pro bowl last year. If you watch last year's Green Bay game, you won't see Newman giving up very much. He matches up well with just about any WR.

Henry is the physical corner and he will be used in a variety of ways. He will muscle the receivers on the outside and slide inside to cover the TE. With his size and ability to play inside, he is a huge asset against any team.

Pacman is physically, the most talented of the bunch. He's so quick twitch that it's almost impossible to out-quick the guy. He can change direction on a dime and is light years (and I do mean light-years) ahead of Jacques Reeves. What Green Bay did to Reeves will not even begin to work against Pac.

When you have the quality of Pacman, Jenkins and Scandrick covering the 3rd, 4th and 5th WR's... you are loaded. If Henry slides inside to cover a TE, then Pac, Jenkins and Scandrick are covering the 2nd, 3rd and 4th WR's... still A-OK.

As for the way I can't tell what's different about this team: I don't know... it's just a feeling I've had, so far. They don't wilt, no matter what. They battle a little more than last year. Romo is a little... I don't know... a little more settled and more of a sure thing for the team. He can still have the occasional mistake, but overall you know we're going to get superstar caliber play out of our QB position. It just wasn't quite that much of a sure thing last year.

And maybe that trickled down from Romo to the rest of the team, but they seem to be a legit power in the NFL. The whole team. Somehow you just know that no matter what Green Bay throws at this team, they'll adjust and figure it out. It's pretty telling that in a game as chaotic and frentic as the Philly Monday nighter, the team came back to score 17 points in the second half and only allow 7 to a red hot Donovan McNabb and the fired up Eagles. The coaches and players went into halftime down in the middle of a hornets nest and the whole team was gold the rest of the night.

It's hard to put into words though. I don't know... there's just something about this team that has changed for the better from last year and I'm not talking about the secondary, Felix, Martellus and the DB's. It's something in the chests and heads of the players, but I can't put my finger on it.

Let me just say that we match up well, personnel wise, with Green Bay and something tells me this team isn't going to be trembling at the Lambeau mistiqe when the ball is kicked off Sunday night. When they ask, "Are you ready for some football"... I think the Cowboys answer to that will be an easy, "Yes".

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
parcells316;2271446 said:
its possible they've upgraded at qb.

because after 2 decent games everyone know Rodgers is better than Favre...:cool:

cowboys2233;2271456 said:
Green Bay has a better QB, better receivers, better running backs and a much better defense at every level.

id take
lewis, Edwards ,and Winslow over Grant, Driver and Lee anyday..........:rolleyes:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2271803 said:
Naaaa, they're not Cleveland, IMO. They're a better team than that, but I don't think they're Philly's level. That homefield advantage is no joke though... although I don't think the fact we've never won there is that big a deal. We've never gone in there with a good team except for once and we faced a dynasty that day (ice bowl).

This Dallas team is the real McCoy and they're not going to get bullied or intimidated by the Green Bay crowd and their legendary stadium (thank you Tony Romo). Dallas is probably the best road team in the league (no Giants, you're not). Tony has icewater in his veins in hostile stadiums and performs maybe better than at home.

The whole team just plays well on the road. Even the rookies are playing like 6 year vets. They all went into Cleveland, performed extremely well, and dominated a pretty good Cleveland team that later went on to play Pittsburgh very close at home.

The thing about Green Bay that bothers teams when they play them are all the WR's. They're deep and talented there and the scheme has been in place so long that the whole team has plenty of continuity (i.e. the passing game is in sync). That makes for a dangerous passing game, regardless of who is at QB. This year, with Rogers having mobility, it has added another dimension to that offense. They're difficult to defend.

However, Dallas isn't the same Dallas that played Green Bay last year. This team is different in ways that I can tell you and in some ways that I can't.

Dallas is a completely different team in the secondary. The talent level isn't even close. People can say all they want about Philly having a secondary as good as Dallas, but it ain't so. The top three players might be comparible between Dallas and Philly, but the depth is what seperates them. It's also the thing that helps Big D match up so well with Green Bay. The starters (now Newman and Henry) and the third corner (now Pac) are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Mike Jenkins, drafted 25th overall, is playing like a vet of several years. He has excellent coverage, as evidenced by his terrific play against Philly when he saved a TD by batting a perfectly thrown pass away from a streaking Lewis. He was all over on Monday and was even the one who finally pushed the ball carrier out of bounds on Philly's desperation lateral attempt at the end of the game.

Orlando Scandrick has been playing as good as (if not better) than Jenkins. He's a quick twitch athlete who can physically play with any receiver. He probably is the steal of the draft for the whole NFL... not just Dallas. Again, another rookie that is playing like a vet.

Now, back to the top three CB's: Newman went to his first pro bowl last year. If you watch last year's Green Bay game, you won't see Newman giving up very much. He matches up well with just about any WR.

Henry is the physical corner and he will be used in a variety of ways. He will muscle the receivers on the outside and slide inside to cover the TE. With his size and ability to play inside, he is a huge asset against any team.

Pacman is physically, the most talented of the bunch. He's so quick twitch that it's almost impossible to out-quick the guy. He can change direction on a dime and is light years (and I do mean light-years) ahead of Jacques Reeves. What Green Bay did to Reeves will not even begin to work against Pac.

When you have the quality of Pacman, Jenkins and Scandrick covering the 3rd, 4th and 5th WR's... you are loaded. If Henry slides inside to cover a TE, then Pac, Jenkins and Scandrick are covering the 2nd, 3rd and 4th WR's... still A-OK.

As for the way I can't tell what's different about this team: I don't know... it's just a feeling I've had, so far. They don't wilt, no matter what. They battle a little more than last year. Romo is a little... I don't know... a little more settled and more of a sure thing for the team. He can still have the occasional mistake, but overall you know we're going to get superstar caliber play out of our QB position. It just wasn't quite that much of a sure thing last year.

And maybe that trickled down from Romo to the rest of the team, but they seem to be a legit power in the NFL. The whole team. Somehow you just know that no matter what Green Bay throws at this team, they'll adjust and figure it out. It's pretty telling that in a game as chaotic and frentic as the Philly Monday nighter, the team came back to score 17 points in the second half and only allow 7 to a red hot Donovan McNabb and the fired up Eagles. The coaches and players went into halftime down in the middle of a hornets nest and the whole team was gold the rest of the night.

It's hard to put into words though. I don't know... there's just something about this team that has changed for the better from last year and I'm not talking about the secondary, Felix, Martellus and the DB's. It's something in the chests and heads of the players, but I can't put my finger on it.

Let me just say that we match up well, personnel wise, with Green Bay and something tells me this team isn't going to be trembling at the Lambeau mistiqe when the ball is kicked off Sunday night. When they ask, "Are you ready for some football"... I think the Cowboys answer to that will be an easy, "Yes".

I just hope we don't play that coverage where were are 12 yards off the ball.

JTnNC

Reaction score
:bow:
This entire post is poetry.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
:bow:

FloridaRob

Reaction score
superpunk;2271784 said:
That certainly differs from your own past analysis.

Maybe you've deluded yourself for some more pregame confidence. I don't know.

pregame confidence to what. I have no idea what to expect Sunday from the Packers. Way Too many question marks about the team with a new QB that still won't be answered after Sunday. But one area I don;t have an issue is with the head coach. After all, he is not an "empty suit." :) Besides, the outcome would have been the same last year if Elmer Fudd was directing that Cowboy team that night.

superpunk

Reaction score
FloridaRob;2271848 said:
pregame confidence to what. I have no idea what to expect Sunday from the Packers. Way Too many question marks about the team with a new QB that still won't be answered after Sunday. But one area I don;t have an issue is with the head coach. After all, he is not an "empty suit." :) Besides, the outcome would have been the same last year if Elmer Fudd was directing that Cowboy team that night.
So, was McCarthy completely outcoached last year, or not? You seem to have...

:flipflop:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2271415 said:
Do you remember in week-1, how all the mediots were going on and on about how Cleveland was stacked full of pro-bowlers, were a Playoff contending team, and would give Dallas a run for their money?

And do you remember how after week-1 Cleveland plummeted to the bottom third of the power rankings after Dallas pounded them down to their real level?

I now give you the Green Bay Packers, who all the mediots are predicting to beat Dallas with a QB named Rodgers instead of Favre, and a roster that just beat the mighty QB-less Vikings and stout ( :rolleyes: ) Lions.

Yeah, I'm really worried, until the game's over, Dallas has won, has made Mr. Rodgers their favorite neighbor, Lam-blow filed their new home, and Green Bay their new neighborhood!

Bring this PRETEND team on - PLEASE!

Most here respected Cleveland and the vote is still not in on them. They've lost to possibly the top two teams in the league and no one sane would argue top ten.

FloridaRob;2271487 said:
Interesting Q and A with one of the Packer Beat Writers Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Mcginn is know to be extremely critical of the Packers and is not some homer Hack. He picked them to go 6 and 10 this year but this question was kind of interesting.

"Q: Jeff N. of Apex, NC - Hi Bob, Are there any Personnel Match-ups between the Cowboys and Packers that actually favors the Packers? Thanks.

A: Bob McGinn - Jeff: Kampman vs. Colombo. KGB, if he's right, against Adams on third and long. Jenkins vs. Procter in 4-2. Jenkins maybe vs. Davis in 4-2. Driver vs. Newman in slot. Jennings vs. anyone. Rodgers vs. Watkins. Lee vs. Watkins. Barnett vs. Gurode on outside stuff. Jolly vs. Procter in base. Woodson vs. Crayton, if that's the way it goes. McCarthy vs. Phillips. "

He either knows us better than anyone or misinformed. Lost cred with the first matchup with me.

DFWJC;2271519 said:
I think GB is more like Philly than Cleveland. Explosive offense and great defense.

Ren;2271674 said:
GB is a very good team this will not be an easy game

The last two sum up what most people are thinking. We will get even more respect if we win.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
superpunk;2271871 said:
So, was McCarthy completely outcoached last year, or not? You seem to have...

:flipflop:

No, but nice try tho....:;

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
CATCH17;2271438 said:
I doubt very seriously if they are a "pretend team".

If you havent noticed that team is pretty stacked at a lot of positions and they are tough at home.

I think we'll win but its gonna be a tough game.

What worries me is the short work week, and the possibility of a sense of complacency setting in as a result of the big, emotional win against the Iggles...

The Cowboys are the better team, I'm confident of that, but this looks to me like one of those "trap" games...

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
silverbear;2272044 said:
What worries me is the short work week, and the possibility of a sense of complacency setting in as a result of the big, emotional win against the Iggles...

The Cowboys are the better team, I'm confident of that, but this looks to me like one of those "trap" games...

Trap games don't really show up unless you're playing a bad team the following week. I really don't believe anyone on the Cowboys is overlooking Green Bay.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ozzu;2272052 said:
Trap games don't really show up unless you're playing a bad team the following week. I really don't believe anyone on the Cowboys is overlooking Green Bay.

True, but it was a monday night game and a nasty one at that with one day less rest ~ we'll see.

Big D

Reaction score
silverbear;2272106 said:

I think the skins game is more of a trap than this one. I see Rodgers going down early and often in this one so I hope their backup is ready.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
AsthmaField, your post below is a thing of beatuy. BRAVO!!!

As far as not being able to tell what's different about this team, I think I saw "IT" in the last game against Philly. It's something I have not seen since the 90s Dynasty team; and that is a "quiet confidence" among the offense, that no matter what the other team does to score, or take the lead, this offense will command the necessary leadership to regain control of the game, the lead, and ultimately the "W".

This offense has matured, and that is all in addition to what you noted about the defense getting better in the secondary - and deeper than any other team.

Daudr

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2271415 said:
Do you remember in week-1, how all the mediots were going on and on about how Cleveland was stacked full of pro-bowlers, were a Playoff contending team, and would give Dallas a run for their money?

And do you remember how after week-1 Cleveland plummeted to the bottom third of the power rankings after Dallas pounded them down to their real level?

I now give you the Green Bay Packers, who all the mediots are predicting to beat Dallas with a QB named Rodgers instead of Favre, and a roster that just beat the mighty QB-less Vikings and stout ( :rolleyes: ) Lions.

Yeah, I'm really worried, until the game's over, Dallas has won, has made Mr. Rodgers their favorite neighbor, Lam-blow filed their new home, and Green Bay their new neighborhood!

Bring this PRETEND team on - PLEASE!

While I believe we should hand them their butts on a plate, coming off an emotional, hard-fought win on Monday night and going on the road to a place the Cowboys have never won does have me a little concerned.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2271649 said:
He is and you guys got a very good staff over there got a lot of talent and made a lot bitter fans forget about brett farve after 2 weeks.
I'll give him that, I think Mike McCarthy is a good coach, and I respect him for not laying down for Farve.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Very good points. People here forget why Rogers was successful against us when he came in for Favre. It was because Reeves was not able to cover his man and Rogers had a field day picking on him. I highly doubt that Pacman will be as easy to pick on as Reeves.

Our defense is a lot better than we were last year. Heck we didn't even mention Zach Thomas as part of the bunch. I think with him in the game he'll be able to sniff out those quick out to the TEs or a dump pass out in the flats to a running back. Passes which was successful against us last year when Rogers was playing.