Green more concerned with record than run game By Darren Urban

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Green more concerned with record than run game By Darren Urban, Tribune Cardinals coach Dennis Green didn’t sound thrilled when one of the first questions Monday, a day after the Cardinals posted a 20-10 win over Tennessee, was about the problems with the team’s offensive line and the struggling run game.Related LinksArizona Cardinals / NFL
Perhaps Green just wanted to revel a little more in a victory, victories that have been difficult to come by this season.

"I wouldn’t worry nearly as much about us not being able to run the ball as I would about us being 2-4," Green said. "You guys (in the media) ask a lot of questions about this and that. Really, what it comes down to, a head coach is very upset when a team is 2-4.

"Now he feels a little bit better, depending on when he got the 2 and when he got the 4. So the 4 was a week ago. The 2 was yesterday, so I feel a little bit better."

There remain major holes for the Cards, however, which can help deflate the good feelings.

The Cardinals cut wide receiver Charles Lee on Monday, leaving a hole in their receiving corps. Lee, who had 11 receptions for 152 yards on the season, didn’t catch a pass Sunday but committed penalties on two special-teams plays.

Lee’s release came after Green had spoken to the media, and the team did not release a statement. Lee’s agent did not return a phone message.

Earlier, Green also insisted he hasn’t thought about who will be the starting quarterback against the Cowboys on Sunday, Josh McCown or Kurt Warner.

Green did imply that, unlike last week, he would make his decision public —
"Last week that was something that was unique to what we wanted to do, we did it that way, and this week is a whole new week," Green said — but declined to get into how he would make his choice.

"Sometimes I’ll give you a window into what I’m thinking and sometimes I won’t," Green said. "This is not one of the times I will. Sometimes, it’s important for you to understand what I’m thinking. I don’t think this time is one of them, even though you might disagree."

Then there are the problems with the running game and the offensive line, which Green sounded frustrated in having to address yet again.

"Our ability to be a playoff team is not going to be based on whether we run the ball or not. . . . You have to compensate," Green said. "Do you need at least the threat of the run to improve in the red zone? Absolutely.

"We should run the ball better. I’m as disappointed in not being able to run the ball better second only to the fact that I’m disappointed we’re 2-4."

The Cardinals may be coming off a win, but any joy is clearly tempered.

"Because we desire to be a good team, there’s an upbeat but kind of somber attitude because we know we didn’t play our best game," McCown said. "The best thing about it is we won, and the object of the contest is to win the game."

EXTRA POINTS: Green said the team suffered no injuries, although starting right tackle Fred Wakefield was wearing a boot for his injured left ankle. The injury is not expected to be serious. . . .

McCown said his left hand, which he hurt Sunday, was OK.