Greg Cosell on Mazi smith

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Learning to use that quickness and strength to the fullest extent will be his challenge. If he does, he can be a monster. If not, he'll probably be a quality starting NT. That's one of the things I like about this pick, his ceiling is dominant all-around DT, but his floor is starting run-stuffer.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but it never led to anything twitchy in college.

This is like when they talked about Trysten Hill's great first step. It was going to be such a weapon in the NFL but just like in college it wasn't.

Just be happy with a dominant NT. If you get anything as a pass rusher it's a bonus.

garyv

Reaction score

I've been saying a year or two down the road Mazi Smith will be better player in the NFL than Carter
not neccessarily due to talent but being more coachable and liked as a player.

Ekspozed

Reaction score

This is like when they talked about Trysten Hill's great first step. It was going to be such a weapon in the NFL but just like in college it wasn't.

Just be happy with a dominant NT. If you get anything as a pass rusher it's a bonus.
Mazi has said that was his main job in college, being a nt to stop the run. He noted he's here to free up his teammates and stop the run and that pass rush, because he wasn't asked to, is the biggest thing he has to work on.

Pretty much everything you'd want to hear out of him.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Didn’t Cosell say CeeDee was not a number 1 and chuckled when Cowherd brought it up. Then CeeDee went out and lit the Eagles up. Cosell understands football but is far from perfect.
No one is right 100% of the time

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mazi has said that was his main job in college, being a nt to stop the run. He noted he's here to free up his teammates and stop the run and that pass rush, because he wasn't asked to, is the biggest thing he has to work on.

Pretty much everything you'd want to hear out of him.
Whether you're asked to or not, if you're so twitchy and explosive you should have more than half a sack in two years. What he gave you were excuses.

ESisback

Reaction score
Whether you're asked to or not, if you're so twitchy and explosive you should have more than half a sack in two years. What he gave you were excuses.
Besides being more knowledgeable than McClay, McCarthy, Quinn and the rest of the Cowboys’ FO, you’ve also got Cosell’s number too, huh?

Help us out, won’t you? Fame and fortune awaits!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Didn’t Cosell say CeeDee was not a number 1 and chuckled when Cowherd brought it up. Then CeeDee went out and lit the Eagles up. Cosell understands football but is far from perfect.
No one is right all the time. Lamb proved him wrong. Mazi will either prove him right or wrong but there's a lot of reputable that like this pick. Didn't see many pre-draft...but maybe they needed Dallas to push them along the way lol.

ESisback

Reaction score
I just think with Mazi and Hankins clogging the middle (rotating with Odiggy and Gallimore), our giant stable of pass rushers (Parsons, Lawrence, Armstrong, Williams, Fowler, McKinley, Overshown and whomever else) will feast. Add in the talent at LB and DB…

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Besides being more knowledgeable than McClay, McCarthy, Quinn and the rest of the Cowboys’ FO, you’ve also got Cosell’s number too, huh?

Help us out, won’t you? Fame and fortune awaits!
Maybe we can unload Mazi in a trade for Carson Wentz. Oh never mind, Wentz is a free agent, we could just sign him.

Ekspozed

Reaction score

So you want the equivalent of Robert Quinn at nt.
No Gap control or responsibility just rush the passer.

J-man

Reaction score
True, he just was so smug about it. Acted like the fake Cowboys/Eagles fans on the board.
As much as I love Lamb as a play maker, pre-draft I didn't believe he would be a great #1 WR. He was explosive and dynamic with the ball in his hands, everyone could see that. But, he was never considered to be a great route runner and he also had some drop concerns. I assumed he would do most of his damage out of the slot. With Cooper still here I wanted us to draft Justin Jefferson, who I thought was the best possible fit for our offence. When Lamb fell I was happy we took him, but I was torn because I knew Jefferson was going to be great.

And TBTH, I really still don't see CD as a true #1 just because of his body type and play style to me are not what a #1 should be. In my mind I think they should be bigger, more stout, w/ great hands, 100% reliable as a route runner always being where they are supposed to be and being able to make basically all contested catches to move the chains.
But Lamb has become pretty close to that mold so I will give him credit on how well he's grown and developed into a great all around threat.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I just think with Mazi and Hankins clogging the middle (rotating with Odiggy and Gallimore), our giant stable of pass rushers (Parsons, Lawrence, Armstrong, Williams, Fowler, McKinley, Overshown and whomever else) will feast. Add in the talent at LB and DB…
Don’t think Gallimore will make the final roster