Greg Ellis Thread (Repost?)

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Just an FYI to everyone who has spent the last couple of seasons calling Ellis 'average' and not really worth keeping.

He has killed the monkey on his back with 10.5 sacks already this season (and recall that he didn't really start until late this year).

He is currently .5 sacks away from the league leader, Kampman.

I guess, after all, we DO need him. Alexander? Anyone? My normally vegetarian self has some crow baking in the oven.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I'll admit I was getting a little tired of the whole contract issue with him and stated as much. I was almost to the point where I thought we should just part ways and be the end of it..

I have always like Ellis as both a player and a person because he genuinely a good guy. I am so glad that Jerry stuck it out with him because he still has a lot of juice left in him.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
don't get me wrong Cajun -

I wanted him to shutup about the money, too. But that isn't the same as thinking he is spare and that we didn't need him.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1804553 said:
Just an FYI to everyone who has spent the last couple of seasons calling Ellis 'average' and not really worth keeping.

He has killed the monkey on his back with 10.5 sacks already this season (and recall that he didn't really start until late this year).

I guess, after all, we DO need him. Alexander? Anyone? My normally vegetarian self has some crow baking in the oven.

Save some baked crow for me to!:(

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1804568 said:
don't get me wrong Cajun -

I wanted him to shutup about the money, too. But that isn't the same as thinking he is spare and that we didn't need him.

I didn't take it that way. I think most people liked him as a player but thought he was asking for the moon considering his age, injury and such.

Obviously, Greg knew his body better than we do. Go figure huh?

CowboyBlog

Reaction score
I think it is great that the Cowboys have two of the top five players leading the league in sacks.

Note: We have played one more game than everyone else.

burmafrd

Reaction score
He always tailed off late in the season- this year he has not had the pounding and the aches and pains, etc that he normally would have by now. Also he as a LB is not having to engage an O lineman or two on each play. Still does a fair amount of that, but usually one on one.
He is a lot fresher NOW then he has been this time in a season ever, probably. Not having to pound and work during TC probably has kept his legs fresher as well.

fortdick

Reaction score
Not to take anything away from what he has accomplished, but.......

Do you think teams game plan Ellis or Ware?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1804590 said:
I think it is great that the Cowboys have two of the top five players leading the league in sacks.

We played the same number as the leader, Kampman.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1804590 said:

but so has Kampman

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
fortdick;1804602 said:
Not to take anything away from what he has accomplished, but.......

Do you think teams game plan Ellis or Ware?

I hear you, but Spencer did not do what Ellis is doing when he started!

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
PhillyCowboysFan;1804639 said:
I hear you, but Spencer did not do what Ellis is doing when he started!

It's hardly fair to compare a rookie with a veteran who has the experience that Ellis does. That said, I think Spencer will be real good for us. He showed allot being thrown in there the way he was.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
what we need is for us to get another 15 sacks in the 4 games to finish out the season well...if ware gets to 14 and ellis to 13.5 i would be very happy...would like to bradie get another one along with tank spencer and hatcher...also canty too....

dfense

Reaction score
I can't recall another player who 's come back from such a career threatening injury and been as effective so fast. Especially at a position where pushing off with power and speed is everything.

It ended Dan Marino's career and he never even moved in the pocket.

The year after Takeo blew his out he was a shell of his former self. The Bills just let him walk because they felt he was doomed to be average. He's bounced back with the Eagles but it took him well over two years.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1804553 said:

Shame on those that made all those statements. I saw lots of posters make ugly comments about Ellis...but now all is quiet. They are probably busy defending Roy Williams coverage skills i guess. Just man up, or woman up and say you were wrong.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'm surprised Theogt hasn't tooted his own horn about Ellis getting 10+ sacks this season. Props to him for predicting it.

Guess the sun shines on every dog's arse sometimes. :D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dfense;1804834 said:
I can't recall another player who 's come back from such a career threatening injury and been as effective so fast.

Julian Peterson did it last year

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hes playing well but that still doesnt mean he hasnt been a whiny punk the last few offseason.

He FINALLY shut up and play. its about time.

I never said he sucked but there is no question that he was using us via the media to try and get more money. It is what it is.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Rack;1804843 said:
I'm surprised Theogt hasn't tooted his own horn about Ellis getting 10+ sacks this season. Props to him for predicting it.

Guess the sun shines on every dog's arse sometimes. :D

Patrick? Is that you?

I didn't say too much about Ellis, but I'll admit that I thought he was about done as an OLB with Spencer coming on board.

One thing I did call right was that I thought with him coming off an achillies and probably losing a little speed (and ability to backpedal, I thought) that we might see him on passing downs at DE and see Spencer and Ware at OLB.

We have started to see that recently.

Still, I thought his productive days were pretty much done... so pass a little of that crow this way, CR.