Greg Ellis

khiladi

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2278254 said:
I guess i missed that last night but I don't recall seeing Ware get tripled teamed except when he would roll from the outside and try and come up the middle and ran into the middle guys.

When he was outside, including on his sack play, he was one-on-one with the tackle.

Now, obviously, I don't watch Ware on every single down. I have lots of Cowboys I like to watch so I am looking all over the place but the idea that he's always getting double and triple teams is simply not correct.

Ellis did just fine he just made mistakes and cost himself a couple of sacks. Like I said he's not the only guy who left sacks on the field last night and he's not the only guy to ever whiff like that.

When he's got 10+ at the end of the year again I'm sure there will be some who still won't be happy with his production.

Did I say always? I said ware gets double-teamed and triple-teamed and offensive coordinators game-plan around him. Nobody says that about Ellis...

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
khiladi;2278281 said:
Did I say always? I said ware gets double-teamed and triple-teamed and offensive coordinators game-plan around him. Nobody says that about Ellis...

And no one has made the mistake of assuming that Ellis is as good as Ware in order to assume that he should be beating these one on ones with Tackles anymore than Ware.

I'm not saying Ellis is the best ever, far from it, but he's more than good and he'll have 10+ sacks again this year (baring injury) and that is more than anyone should be able to ask for from their second best pass rushing OLB. (I suppose it could be argued that Ellis is actually the 3rd best pass rushing OLB if people were so inclined to believe Spencer is already better)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
dfense;2277918 said:
It's beginning to look like father time is catching up with Mr Ellis. His speed is really beginning to slow. He takes more and more plays off. And last night, he wiffed big time on two sure sacks that he had a clear path to the QB and Rogers just either ducked under him or simply side stepped him.

Looks like Dallas will be looking for a replacement in the draft pretty soon.

rofl....

we have drafted linebackers with regularity. ellis has never been speedy. hopefully spencer can replace him but if not we cant draft another first round linebacker, we'll just have to sign one in free agency when Ellis leaves.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
khiladi;2278281 said:

Ellis gets double-teamed with regularity and your posts regarding him are just assinine.

He isn't as good as Ware but he draws plenty of attention and is playing very well.

The Packers doubled Ellis and Ware regularly last night which is why they kept in 7 all night.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
i joined ths forum Feb 2005, people were saying Ellis had lost it,
its now 2008 people still saying it
reminds me of a guy from work who starts predicting it will snow every
time it got cold, eventually he would be right

put me in the "glad ellis is on our team column"

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
poke;2278354 said:

if by people you mean one knucklehead I agree....

no matter the topic there is always one guy with more pride than common sense who argues against reality....

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
dfense;2277918 said:
It's beginning to look like father time is catching up with Mr Ellis. His speed is really beginning to slow. He takes more and more plays off. And last night, he wiffed big time on two sure sacks that he had a clear path to the QB and Rogers just either ducked under him or simply side stepped him.

Ellis is doing just fine and he's a terrific leader... once the season starts. Stop looking for crap to whine about people.

Yeah he missed that sack, but he's not the only one.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Hostile;2277987 said:
Ever heard of Anthony Spencer?

:omg:

Spencer will be another monster...he will surprise a lot of people once he gets to play full time. He needs to get well soon and get on the field.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
poke;2278354 said:

I joined the prior version of this forum in 2002 (thecowboys.net), and Ellis was washed up back then.

:laugh2:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dozin@theknick;2278258 said:
Which brings up a question I had on the game. I think it was in the fourth quarter Ware chased Rogers out of bounds short of the LOS. Shouldnt that count as a sack?

That was a sack, assigned to Zach Thomas (I guess he was closest to Rodgers when he went out of bounds).

Ware had another sack, except that he tackled Rodgers a half-yard beyond the LOS, so it doesn't count.

Thanos68

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2277993 said:
He beat a tight-end on one, and another was a coverage sack where he beat one offensive lineman. Ware is getting all the attention and the way the secondary is playing, Ellis should be stepping up big-time.

WOW...Just WOW...The first game he was in coverage most of the time..Second game he had two sacks..but you want to discard them..Third game he played well missed a sure sack but disrupted the play.. And you want to bash Ellis..Our 2nd BEST Pass Rusher??? Holy Cow... :lmao:

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with anyone, but they said it was like 91% humidity down on the field. I'm sure that wasn't helping the Vet in his sack attempts.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
BigDinAZ;2278759 said:
I'm not disagreeing with anyone, but they said it was like 91% humidity down on the field. I'm sure that wasn't helping the Vet in his sack attempts.

Well, he does play and live in Dallas, which is pretty humid also.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I thought Ellis was okay, but like I posted last night, he had two free plays on Aaron Rogers, failed to tackle him on the first and got juked out of his jock strap on the second.

I still want him on the field.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dfense;2277918 said:

1. Ellis has never been fast in his career. Not even before he broke his leg.

2. Demarcus Ware was taking plays off last night too (along with the DL), is father time catching up with him too?

3. Ellis has whiffed on sacks throughout his career.

I didn't see any difference in Ellis last night then what I saw in him 5 years ago.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Maybe just one of those nights but his 'nose' for the QB had him whiff more than once last night

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Ellis has whiffed on more sacks in his career than any player I've ever seen.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Spears is no longer starting, he got a few reps last night. It seems every game in the 1st half the qb's are wearing vaseline and it wears off around the 4rth quarter. Ellis is a beast, nuff said...