Gregory beyond 60 day reinstatement deadline?

JBond

Reaction score
Given the changes in the NFL's policy, I don't get that statement at all.
Goodell... why has there not been an announcement? Clearly I could be wrong (usually am) but I just don't see it happening.

luckyman76

Reaction score
That's not true, the commish has 60 days. Apparently, when we last heard from Randy Gregory's agent about the same time Aldon Smith was reinstated, the comment that was made meant something. Their comment at that time was, "Randy is working through the process". So here we are beyond the 60-day mark and Randy is "working through the process". My interpretation of this is the commish doesn't think Randy has done enough to be reinstated just yet.

Semantics. Fact is that new rules don't apply to players that require reinstatement. Antonio Brown has not had his case dealt with timely nor did Zeke. Aldon is a feel good story that had backers, Randy does not. To say Roger doesn't have the freedom to do what he wants is naive. Why do you think Randy's agent made that statement? Do you think that expectation was only communicated at that time or do you think that was likely communicated up front. Roger will take the time he wants to and Randy's agent isn't going to be keeping score because Roger can just deny it. My guess is Roger did his one good deed but if he does reinstate Randy it will happen on his timing.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are so many variables none of us know anything about which may have bearing on the delay of RG’s possible reinstatement.

We must all remember that Randy Gregory’s mental health issues fall under the category of medical privacy (HIPPA law) that neither the press nor fans can have access to without permission. All the speculation about the delay is just that...speculation.

Look, I can’t stand Roger Goodell, but honestly, the idea that he is on some dark conspiracy to stop RGs reinstatement is premature at best. There could be some legit reasons we simply don’t know about.
Well if you're going to use reason and logic, I'll just leave! :muttley:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Semantics. Fact is that new rules don't apply to players that require reinstatement. Antonio Brown has not had his case dealt with timely nor did Zeke. Aldon is a feel good story that had backers, Randy does not. To say Roger doesn't have the freedom to do what he wants is naive. Why do you think Randy's agent made that statement? Do you think that expectation was only communicated at that time or do you think that was likely communicated up front. Roger will take the time he wants to and Randy's agent isn't going to be keeping score because Roger can just deny it. My guess is Roger did his one good deed but if he does reinstate Randy it will happen on his timing.
You are so cynical about this process. Roger had 60 days to reinstate Aldon and right on schedule, he did it. Roger had that same 60 days to make a decision on Randy. Obviously, he didn't think Randy was ready yet. You can make up your own version of what's going on if you want to but don't come telling it to me. I'm not interested in your telling of the world according to @luckyman76.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goodell... why has there not been an announcement? Clearly I could be wrong (usually am) but I just don't see it happening.
I don't know why there hasn't been any announcement. Eventually we will find out why.

But with the changes made to the policy, there is no reason to keep Gregory suspended.

zerofill

Reaction score
Does the reinstatement filings have to go through various people first, that aren't actually at work during the pandemic? I could see that being a reason it is delayed.

I mean, Goodell isn't the one that looks at those filings first I am sure. They probably go through some line of people, to make sure this and that is right, Then he finally gets it to make a ruling on it.

tunahelper

Reaction score
The Cowboys have never really been successful doing this.

Name me one player we ever successfully did this with.

It's always a pig in a poke crap.

Never happen under Landry. If a player went South, he was traded or cut.

Raphael Septien, Lance Rentzel, Dwain Thomas, Hollywood Henderson, etc.

Even under Jimster who was famous for having hoodlem players on his teams cracked his whip at times and cut guys.

So nay..do not agree and that is not Big Mike's style.

Charles Haley.

luckyman76

Reaction score
You are so cynical about this process. Roger had 60 days to reinstate Aldon and right on schedule, he did it. Roger had that same 60 days to make a decision on Randy. Obviously, he didn't think Randy was ready yet. You can make up your own version of what's going on if you want to but don't come telling it to me. I'm not interested in your telling of the world according to @luckyman76.

Get a life seriously. You take this way too personal. Heaven forbid someone disagree with you on a message board. Roger and the NFL have a long history of being consistent and abiding by rules and being fair...oh wait they don't. By the way, I don't put any faith in Randy Gregory and Roger may have good reason for not letting him back in. It had nothing do with singing Randy's praises. Have a good evening and take care.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Get a life seriously. You take this way too personal. Heaven forbid someone disagree with you on a message board. Roger and the NFL have a long history of being consistent and abiding by rules and being fair...oh wait they don't. By the way, I don't put any faith in Randy Gregory and Roger may have good reason for not letting him back in. It had nothing do with singing Randy's praises. Have a good evening and take care.
Your faux righteous indignation isn't fooling anyone. We are here to debate. I'm not offended by differing opinions so why are you? The NFL's record of inconsistency is not consistently inconsistent. So you can't use that as a definitive defense of what's going on here with Randy Gregory. However, I share your lack of faith in Randy Gregory and agree the commish may have a good reason not to reinstate him.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Hopefully he does, he really started to hit stride the last 8 games he played where he recorded 5 sacks over that stretch. It'll take him some time to get back into shape so wouldn't expect much from him and Smith to start the season.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
It seems as though Goodell wants to take as much time as he can for Randy to show he's ready to quit pot on a permanent basis. I suspect RG's still having trouble doing so but I'll openly confess, it's just guesswork on my part. Whatever the reasoning for the delay is, it's not being released for public consumption. By now, Goodell is likely feeling far less inclined to look like a hapless sucker yet again. I've read a while back that he's still "large and in charge," despite the newly-established lenience policy. I guess we'll eventually see how all this plays out in due time. o_O

I believe Goodell is taking his time; once RG is reinstated, then he cannot be suspended under the new agreement.