Growth from recent defensive draftees

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I have nothing except draft profiles hype to go with, but I'm expecting Robinson to show up. Still very curious why he didn't get any snaps, especially on special teams.
He played a bunch of snaps on ST in weeks 15 and 16.

But I agree, in general, that I think it's weird how few snaps he got.

conner01

Reaction score
Too soon to judge 2020
Diggs and Gallimore looked good though
Armstrong is a serviceable player though way over rated by some here and the staff
LVE will not get a second contract here though I’d predict he does get 5th year
Wilson can play in this league but still has some growing to do
The rest we just haven’t seen enough of them
We wasted some great opportunities last year to get guys reps
Our young oline guys got reps and they will be better this year for it
Wish we had got some for More defensive players
Not having some even active was a travesty

conner01

Reaction score
While I do think Armstrong showed improvement overall last year, I think it’s evident he’s a JAG.
I agree
And that’s fine
You have 53 players and some will be jags
What I hate is we knew that well before the season was over and didn’t get reps to see our rookie DE

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
While I do think Armstrong showed improvement overall last year, I think it’s evident he’s a JAG.
2.5 career sacks in 3 years. All I'm 2020. Which is interesting because 2.5 sacks in 250 snaps is pretty decent. But he didn't build off of that

fivetwos

Reaction score
-Coming into the league Lve was considered an ascending prospect, there is some room in which he can improve.
-Hill just has to be it all together, that injury hurt cause he would of gotten needed reps at the position. Make or break yr.
-Wilson broke out last season, he should be a quality starter moving forward
-Diggs was a different player after that 1st Philly game, he will look to take the next step
-Gallimore has to become more consistent and must do a better job against the run
-Who knows what we get out of Robinson/Anae, they have to first make the roster, nothing is a given when the defense performs so badly
As far as Anae and Robinson, they better show up ready to ball, because the staff showed little to no confidence in either.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
People look to upcoming drafts to fix the defense. However, if you want to see how much a 2021 defense will improve, you have to look back at who they have drafted recently. The growth of recent draftees will go along way in determining if our 2021 defense improves, or stays at the same level.

With that being said, what kind of growth do you expect from some of defenders we have drafted in the last few years. Here is a list of guys still on the team

2018:
LVE
Dorrance Armstrong

2019:
Trysten Hill
Donovan Wilson

2020:
Trevon Diggs
Nevelle Gallimore
Reggie Robinson
Bradlee Anae

Wilson, Diggs, Gallimore. I dont expect much from anyone else. Take one of those two two corners in the draft and we should be set in the secondary for a while. I would probably pay some money for a quality veteran FS that could be the leader back there. Peterson would be a nice addition if he would make the switch.

I would also sign a veteran DT. Linebacker possibly with our 2nd round pick. Both Jaylon and LVE are gone after next season the way i see it.

Haimerej

Reaction score
People look to upcoming drafts to fix the defense. However, if you want to see how much a 2021 defense will improve, you have to look back at who they have drafted recently. The growth of recent draftees will go along way in determining if our 2021 defense improves, or stays at the same level.

Good stuff. Although it oddly feels like you're dashing our hopes...

With that being said, what kind of growth do you expect from some of defenders we have drafted in the last few years. Here is a list of guys still on the team

2018:
LVE - Health is #1 concern. Hope he returns to 2018 form
Dorrance Armstrong - probably asking a lot to get him to a George Selvie type-player

2019:
Trysten Hill - Health again. Looked decent when he wasn't 2 gapping. Decent don't do it.
Donovan Wilson - He's no Jeff Heath

2020:
Trevon Diggs - hopefully stops giving up big plays
Nevelle Gallimore - this is probably his juice year. Fingers crossed he doesn't get 4 games...
Reggie Robinson - trying to stay on team through camp
Bradlee Anae - see Reggie Robinson

Cowboyny

Reaction score
As far as Anae and Robinson, they better show up ready to ball, because the staff showed little to no confidence in either.

Keep in mind, Quinn was here when they drafted them. They are going to have to make an impression and earn their roster spots. Really believe Robinson's future is as a Corner, not a Safety.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So wilson was part of a defense that gave up points but Diggs wasnt? Yall coming up with wild ways to discredit Wilson. Lol
both were. I have said it before, Diggs may have potential, but based on pure play in 2020, he was average. Wilson showed a little, not that impressive. cracked the line up late. his best came against a bunch of teams with 4 wins.....

stilltheguru

Reaction score
both were. I have said it before, Diggs may have potential, but based on pure play in 2020, he was average. Wilson showed a little, not that impressive. cracked the line up late. his best came against a bunch of teams with 4 wins.....
Thats not what your first post said about Diggs but whatever. Youre not the first person to catipult Diggs and dismiss Wilson when Wilson had a better season easily. Strange

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I know our previous regime couldn't evaluate or develop talent and unfortunately its not looking promising for the current regime. So it would seem development relies largely on the players self drive.

Something i have wondered about. We chose R Robinson at #123 while L Sneed (Chiefs CB) was chosen at #138. In the post season re-drafts, Sneed was moved all the way to the #8 draft pick. Does he even get on the field in Dallas?

You would think its a no brainer that a guy who played so well would but with our track record I have my doubts.

Aven8

Reaction score
LVE has to step up. He proved his rookie year that he can play at a high level. Time to figure out what you really want kid.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score

2018:
LVE
Dorrance Armstrong

2019:
Trysten Hill
Donovan Wilson

2020:
Trevon Diggs
Nevelle Gallimore
Reggie Robinson
Bradlee Anae

i always forget how young Dorance Armstrong is. Whatcha guys think about his potential as a 3rd DE for this team? Would anyone pick up his option and re-sign him?

I think he def improved last season and with him being only 24 years young w/ the physical abilities he has (good size/speed/strength combo), I think he has a chance to be a surprise player this year and turn a corner.

He could be a nice additional pass-rushing piece on the DL to go along with Tank and Randy. Thoughts?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Thats not what your first post said about Diggs but whatever. Youre not the first person to catipult Diggs and dismiss Wilson when Wilson had a better season easily. Strange
that's exactly what I said. he showed potential, but if you had to grade him on pure performance, it wasn't great....but factor in that he is a rookie, team sucked, was he bad, was it the rest, was it a combination, etc...we shall see. so I did say he had potential.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
that's exactly what I said. he showed potential, but if you had to grade him on pure performance, it wasn't great....but factor in that he is a rookie, team sucked, was he bad, was it the rest, was it a combination, etc...we shall see. so I did say he had potential.
You said he wasnt great but good. Then he was average but I'm done with it. My point was I like both players but it just seems people hold Wilsons 6th round pick against him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You said he wasnt great but good. Then he was average but I'm done with it. My point was I like both players but it just seems people hold Wilsons 6th round pick against him.
I said, this past year, based on what we saw in the field, he wasn't great. he made mistakes...so purely measuring performance, nobody would call it great...but he is a rookie, he learned, got better and he has potential.

I am not holding Wilson's round against him. he was better than some of what we had at saftey. what we know is that this defense was historically bad. they only improved because we played against some really craappy teams and only improved to 30th worst defense in the league...is he part of the problem? or solution? is he a big fish in a small pound? or is he the answer. I am not satisfied. I like to see other area (ala DL and LB) improve and see what we have with Wilson and determine if he is the long term answer or not.