GROZ and other stuff

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Remember the GROZ rants when he was here before? Now the zone looks like he is back in favor. Last drive failure seemed like the Zimmer of old. I saw a play on Sunday that irked me. Ram’s ball, 3rd and 4. Corners 10 yards off the wide outs. easy pitch and catch for a first down. I know it is preseason, but that was foolish defense.
Speaking of Zimmer, I like the fact that he is on the sidelines. Does anybody know who is in the booth? Al Harris maybe?

Creeper

Reaction score
I posted something similar about the TD play. $th down and goal and he went big on the DL. The QB scrambled and the fatties couldn't catch him or pressure him. I would hope in the regular season he would get 4 pass rushers in there to force a quicker throw and not let the QB create a play like that. This was one of the differences I saw in the defense. Quinn would go with speed on passing downs. Zimmer stuck with the big guys in the middle.

But it is preseason game 1 and it means nothing. They just try stuff to see how it works and who does what.

rambo2

Reaction score
Remember the GROZ rants when he was here before? Now the zone looks like he is back in favor. Last drive failure seemed like the Zimmer of old. I saw a play on Sunday that irked me. Ram’s ball, 3rd and 4. Corners 10 yards off the wide outs. easy pitch and catch for a first down. I know it is preseason, but that was foolish defense.
Speaking of Zimmer, I like the fact that he is on the sidelines. Does anybody know who is in the booth? Al Harris maybe?
The last drive failure was because these are players that won't be on the team and they ran out of gas. The refs also helped that Ram group.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Zimmer's the best DC in the league by any means, but I do think Zimmer is a better DC than Quinn.

Quinn's defense is aggressive and amazing when it gets turnovers and quiet exploitable when it doesn't.

The problem was that his defense focused more on attacking, not defending, and in the NFL, you need to balance both.

Even with the Falcons, Quinn's defense was susceptible to huge comebacks such as being up 28-3 in the Super Bowl and losing and being up by double-digits against the Cowboys and letting them come back to win.

The Cowboys young defensive players need a coach that teaches details and expects players to do their assignments the right way every play.

I think it's a sharp contrast between Quinn and Zimmer in that area which I expect will lead to a rough (hopefully short) transition period for the defense.

In the end, I think the Zimmer hire was a great hire by the Cowboys given the entire situation of the team.

McCarthy has one year remaining on his contract. Zimmer signed a one-year contract.

That gives both coaches a chance to make-or-break a possible new contract, but more importantly it gives the young defensive players experience with a detailed-oriented coach and defensive system that will hopefully help them become better players even beyond Zimmer.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They've already started with this?????? Geez I mean I know he's going to be the next hated DC as Quinn was recently, but yikes his time is coming one day
Apparently this started a long time ago when Zimmer used to be our DC back in the Parcells' years. I honestly don't remember anyone saying this back then.....but, what the heck do I know.

John813

Reaction score
He's in favor till the first regular season TD given up lol.

JBS

Reaction score
He's changed a lot since then. He worked for Parcells, then he was the DC at Cincy and Minnesota.

Can't judge him on his work back then because he's not the same coach.

And preseason games aren't coached to win, but to evaluate.
He gave up 13 pts even if you were evaluating his performance. They were more than good enough to win.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I personally feel the reason you wont see it as much, a lot of fans have accepted that the Jones boys accept the mediocrity of the team. Once they re sign Dak, if you still cant see it, you are the type of fan they want. I thing fans are tired of getting emotional over owners who have geared the franchise to make money and not be a winning team. The culture of winning died by Jerrys hand and Jerry and Stephen have said hey, money is good too, we re better at that.

I think the Groz people understand what this is about, keeping the mediocrity train rolling. Zimmer will most likely be the next HC and the seasons of 10-6 and going no where will suit the Jones boys just fine.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wow ........ a very rare Cooter post!

Its different this time because he has to take care of his gold digging young girlfriend now.