GROZ and other stuff

Praxit

Reaction score
I don't think Zimmer's the best DC in the league by any means, but I do think Zimmer is a better DC than Quinn.

Quinn's defense is aggressive and amazing when it gets turnovers and quiet exploitable when it doesn't.

The problem was that his defense focused more on attacking, not defending, and in the NFL, you need to balance both.

Even with the Falcons, Quinn's defense was susceptible to huge comebacks such as being up 28-3 in the Super Bowl and losing and being up by double-digits against the Cowboys and letting them come back to win.

The Cowboys young defensive players need a coach that teaches details and expects players to do their assignments the right way every play.

I think it's a sharp contrast between Quinn and Zimmer in that area which I expect will lead to a rough (hopefully short) transition period for the defense.

In the end, I think the Zimmer hire was a great hire by the Cowboys given the entire situation of the team.

McCarthy has one year remaining on his contract. Zimmer signed a one-year contract.

That gives both coaches a chance to make-or-break a possible new contract, but more importantly it gives the young defensive players experience with a detailed-oriented coach and defensive system that will hopefully help them become better players even beyond Zimmer.
..good insights.. ;). Totally agree. DQ always gave the feeling of righteous dude. Flash the watch style.

Zimmer is older dude, with old school football mentality. Iron worker's union duty. If you cant do it, I'll find someone that will.

Praxit

Reaction score
Kind of hard to judge him from the 1st preseason game. Especially when you have backups/scrubs playing. Let's hold off judgement till we see how well the starters do.
...imo I thought defense did great job, keeping game close. I know its rookies and backups, still very impressive.

Flamma

Reaction score
The right tackle was holding on that touchdown the Rams got at the end. He never let go, it was that blatant. I think refs call maybe 25% of the offensive holding calls in preseason because of all of the rookies and backups playing.

RS12

Reaction score
I don't think Zimmer's the best DC in the league by any means, but I do think Zimmer is a better DC than Quinn.

Quinn's defense is aggressive and amazing when it gets turnovers and quiet exploitable when it doesn't.

The problem was that his defense focused more on attacking, not defending, and in the NFL, you need to balance both.

Even with the Falcons, Quinn's defense was susceptible to huge comebacks such as being up 28-3 in the Super Bowl and losing and being up by double-digits against the Cowboys and letting them come back to win.

The Cowboys young defensive players need a coach that teaches details and expects players to do their assignments the right way every play.

I think it's a sharp contrast between Quinn and Zimmer in that area which I expect will lead to a rough (hopefully short) transition period for the defense.

In the end, I think the Zimmer hire was a great hire by the Cowboys given the entire situation of the team.

McCarthy has one year remaining on his contract. Zimmer signed a one-year contract.

That gives both coaches a chance to make-or-break a possible new contract, but more importantly it gives the young defensive players experience with a detailed-oriented coach and defensive system that will hopefully help them become better players even beyond Zimmer.
Add Quinn's defense worked much better playing with a lead. It was brutal playing from behind. Things tended to snow ball downhill quickly.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
I’m not anti-Zimmer. He’s been very good wherever he coaches and I recognize this was just preseason. I was just pointing out that some posters here are ready with the anointing oil before his defense gets a real test. And I wondered how many remembered the GROZ posts from back then. The one constant in the NFL is that fans are fickle.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last drive failure seemed like the Zimmer of old. I saw a play on Sunday that irked me. Ram’s ball, 3rd and 4. Corners 10 yards off the wide outs. easy pitch and catch for a first down.
It is preseason. You are reading WAY too much into it.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Remember the GROZ rants when he was here before? Now the zone looks like he is back in favor. Last drive failure seemed like the Zimmer of old. I saw a play on Sunday that irked me. Ram’s ball, 3rd and 4. Corners 10 yards off the wide outs. easy pitch and catch for a first down. I know it is preseason, but that was foolish defense.
Speaking of Zimmer, I like the fact that he is on the sidelines. Does anybody know who is in the booth? Al Harris maybe?
Yep, I remember. Zimmer was a disaster here who's defense broke the record for 200 yard rushers given up in a single season.

Somehow, we are supposed to believe that 20 years later at age 70, and after having been out of the league because nobody wanted to hire him, is going to fix things with the defense.

I fully expect the defense to be significantly worse this season under Zimmer.

And yes, the final drive choke is a patent and trademark of Zimmer.

It was a stupid, comfortable, non-serious hiring by Jerry.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm a Zimmer fan, but I will say that I think most Cowboys fans will not be once the honeymoon phase is over. I think the major thing he will bring to the table is a stronger defense against the run, however this defense was top 5 in points allowed and had 26 takeaways a season ago. Both of those numbers will be difficult to replicate. This team really needs to not just be improved against the run but very good against the run in 2024. Their pass rush is not quite as deep this year without Armstrong/Williams/Fowler. If they have to continuously commit to the blitz for someone not names Micah Parsons to get pressure on the QB Zim probably doesnt let these DBs be as aggressive in attacking the football which plays to their strength.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He's changed a lot since then. He worked for Parcells, then he was the DC at Cincy and Minnesota.

Can't judge him on his work back then because he's not the same coach.

And preseason games aren't coached to win, but to evaluate.
Players are a tiny bit different too.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I posted something similar about the TD play. $th down and goal and he went big on the DL. The QB scrambled and the fatties couldn't catch him or pressure him. I would hope in the regular season he would get 4 pass rushers in there to force a quicker throw and not let the QB create a play like that. This was one of the differences I saw in the defense. Quinn would go with speed on passing downs. Zimmer stuck with the big guys in the middle.

But it is preseason game 1 and it means nothing. They just try stuff to see how it works and who does what.
to be fair, all the speed guys weren't dressed. 94 might be have been the fastest guy on the DL that game and he was not very fast at all and was out way before that last play of the game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He's changed a lot since then. He worked for Parcells, then he was the DC at Cincy and Minnesota.

Can't judge him on his work back then because he's not the same coach.

And preseason games aren't coached to win, but to evaluate.
It appears to me that there are things he developed in those other stops, but we'll see how it goes. He's had some pretty good defenses in his career.