Twitter: Gruden declines to sign Bucs Helmet

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Hey..

What do they say NFL stands for?

No For Long, right?

Gruden has his eye on his next job.

Next time..put a Cowboys helmet in front of him and ask him to sign with his future team.

Bingo

TTexasTT

Reaction score
What does her being pregnant have to do with anything? Just trying to make him sound like a ***?

FiveRings

Reaction score
Haha, this kinda makes Gruden seem fun. He didn't just say no, he gave a fun answer as to why he cannot sign the helmet of the team that fired him. I like it. You do you, Chuckie

TTexasTT

Reaction score
Gruden makes $4 million a year with ESPN. I doubt he wants to coach and lose the peace and serenity of broadcast TV.

I was wondering how much he makes. Where do you find that information?

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Gruden makes $4 million a year with ESPN. I doubt he wants to coach and lose the peace and serenity of broadcast TV.

Exactly. Do people really think he'll get back into coaching, or is it just wishful thinking on the part of some fans? I know he was quoted as saying he'd like to get back into it, but I think that was more a negotiating ploy than anything else. Keep the bucks rolling in from ESPN.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Exactly. Do people really think he'll get back into coaching, or is it just wishful thinking on the part of some fans? I know he was quoted as saying he'd like to get back into it, but I think that was more a negotiating ploy than anything else. Keep the bucks rolling in from ESPN.

Does he jeopardize a future job with ESPN by taking a coaching job?

I also think it's a bit naive to just assume that there is no amount at which someone would be content and they'd rather NOT pursue professional goals because they can make $4M instead of $3M.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Exactly. Do people really think he'll get back into coaching, or is it just wishful thinking on the part of some fans? I know he was quoted as saying he'd like to get back into it, but I think that was more a negotiating ploy than anything else.
I don't know why you'd think that. He's a pretty big star as far as ESPN goes. Don't know why he'd have to lie to keep his paycheck up.

I think for years he didn't want to coach until one of his children was finished with high school, but they graduated last year.

Doomsay

Reaction score
If he had been the coach here, I honestly think that we would have made multiple playoff runs over the last couple of seasons. He's a bit of a shameless pleaser on TV, but he clearly knows more than Jason will ever about running a team. I think that he has a greater likelihood of coaching again than that other Superbowl-coach-it-the-booth, but that isn't saying much.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
As a farmers branch celebrity i kin understand Gruden's reluctance. Ever body want a piece of you.

Nation

Reaction score
Gruden is terribly overrated by fans as a head coach thanks to the Bucs team he was handed in 2002. I think there's a reason most NFL people don't fawn over him when jobs open up. He is definitely growing on me as a broadcaster though. And to be honest if I were an athlete or coach I wouldn't sign anything for adults either most likely.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
When seeking autographs you never know what an athlete/coach will say or do.

Years ago in Toronto I tried to get Bo Jackson to sign a baseball. It was after a Saturday afternoon game and I was at the team hotel. I opened the door and held it for him and asked if he would mind signing my ball. He just said, "no, Bo struck out 3 times today" and walked on by never thanking me for holding the door for him.

When Wayne Gretzky played for LA I asked him to sign an Edmonton puck. He said, "thats the wrong crest" but took it and signed it. He was waiting for my reply about the crest, but I just thanked him for signing.