Guitar players, check out this practice amp/learning tool

Big_D

Reaction score
I've seen Ayla play. She's amazing. I've seen the Since I've Been Loving You video, but not the Spark one. Thanks for the heads up. She's an amazing player and is really young.

Ayla is amazing. So is Sophie Burrell who has a video on the spark site.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I've seen Ayla play. She's amazing. I've seen the Since I've Been Loving You video, but not the Spark one. Thanks for the heads up. She's an amazing player and is really young.
yeah there are several prodigys on you tube for guitar playing, and drums.
I got started watching drum covers, then I saw this 10 year old girl playing sweet home alabama perfect, another 10 yr boy playing some well forget the band,
then later on at 15 he was doing van halen songs great, as good if not better live than eddie.

Then I found this guy The B-52's - Dance This Mess Around (play along)

I like his vids, as you can clearly see what he is doing, no fancy edits etc.
And on this song here he is playing 4 string guitar like ricky did, and it was fun to see how that was done.
He has a ton of vids, I was mainly interested in the b52 ones, found 3.

I wish I had the internet and you tube when I was a kid lol.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Ayla is amazing. So is Sophie Burrell who has a video on the spark site.

Yes, I saw her video on the amp. She's an excellent player, though it's hard to not just stand mesmerized by her beauty in such a trance that you can't comprehend what she's saying. Man, she's gorgeous.. And a superb guitar player.

Hey, Big_D, did you get the latest email from Spark? I believe they're putting a lot of effort into taking care of their massive number of customers waiting for this thing. In case you didn't get it, here it is.

Hi Reverend Conehead

Calvin, CEO of Positive Grid here. I am overwhelmed and truly appreciate your support for Spark. It is clear that we have not been communicating effectively about delays and obstacles that have prevented us from shipping your Spark. I sincerely apologize for keeping you waiting for so long.

There are things we will—and must—do better. From here on out, I promise to do everything within our power to keep you 100% informed. Here is an update I want to share with you directly.
What happened?
In November and December of 2019, the early response for Spark far exceeded our expectations. We had to significantly increase our production capability, operation and logistics, and solve resource challenges.

In January and February of this year, the COVID-19 outbreak hit which closed our factory and many vendors in our supply chain, dramatically affecting our production capability. Once the production issue was resolved, the pandemic had spread worldwide, affecting our logistics and shipping.

As a small team, it has been very challenging to navigate the large scale uncertainties of producing and shipping in the world today. But we should, and we will get better. This I personally pledge to you.
What's happening now?
We have ramped up production and shipping extensively. Most pre-orders (90%) will be shipped by the end of July. The remaining orders will ship by mid-August.

We are revamping our order tracking system and customer service team to make it easier for you to track your order, and to be more responsive to you when you have questions so that we can reply in a timely manner.

Some customers received tracking numbers many weeks prior to their amp's delivery. Tracking numbers were automatically generated the moment our warehouse received a shipping order. We are working to improve the process to ensure tracking numbers are not created until they are in fact scanned and in the shipping process.

Yes, we are shipping Sparks in the order they were received, and based on their location in the world. We did make an operational mistake and shipped a few hundred units out of order. We’ve fixed that and it won’t happen again.
Looking forward
We are doubling the warranty on Spark to Two Years as a thank you for your support.

We will post communications every week until everyone has received their Spark.

Spark is created with the vision of a smarter way to play and jam. We have many new developments in the pipeline, and we’re committed to adding new features, sounds, software and firmware updates on a regular basis.
This has been an incredible learning experience for me and for our company. As a group of forward-thinking musicians who are passionate about creating new experiences for guitar players, we hate to disappoint you. We are working hard every day to make our customer experience equal to the quality of our Spark amps.

Thank you, once again, for your continued patience and support.

Sincerely,

Calvin Abel
CEO, Positive Grid​

Big_D

Reaction score
Yes, I saw her video on the amp. She's an excellent player, though it's hard to not just stand mesmerized by her beauty in such a trance that you can't comprehend what she's saying. Man, she's gorgeous.. And a superb guitar player.

Hey, Big_D, did you get the latest email from Spark? I believe they're putting a lot of effort into taking care of their massive number of customers waiting for this thing. In case you didn't get it, here it is.

Hi Reverend Conehead

Calvin, CEO of Positive Grid here. I am overwhelmed and truly appreciate your support for Spark. It is clear that we have not been communicating effectively about delays and obstacles that have prevented us from shipping your Spark. I sincerely apologize for keeping you waiting for so long.

There are things we will—and must—do better. From here on out, I promise to do everything within our power to keep you 100% informed. Here is an update I want to share with you directly.
What happened?
In November and December of 2019, the early response for Spark far exceeded our expectations. We had to significantly increase our production capability, operation and logistics, and solve resource challenges.

In January and February of this year, the COVID-19 outbreak hit which closed our factory and many vendors in our supply chain, dramatically affecting our production capability. Once the production issue was resolved, the pandemic had spread worldwide, affecting our logistics and shipping.

As a small team, it has been very challenging to navigate the large scale uncertainties of producing and shipping in the world today. But we should, and we will get better. This I personally pledge to you.
What's happening now?
We have ramped up production and shipping extensively. Most pre-orders (90%) will be shipped by the end of July. The remaining orders will ship by mid-August.

We are revamping our order tracking system and customer service team to make it easier for you to track your order, and to be more responsive to you when you have questions so that we can reply in a timely manner.

Some customers received tracking numbers many weeks prior to their amp's delivery. Tracking numbers were automatically generated the moment our warehouse received a shipping order. We are working to improve the process to ensure tracking numbers are not created until they are in fact scanned and in the shipping process.

Yes, we are shipping Sparks in the order they were received, and based on their location in the world. We did make an operational mistake and shipped a few hundred units out of order. We’ve fixed that and it won’t happen again.
Looking forward
We are doubling the warranty on Spark to Two Years as a thank you for your support.

We will post communications every week until everyone has received their Spark.

Spark is created with the vision of a smarter way to play and jam. We have many new developments in the pipeline, and we’re committed to adding new features, sounds, software and firmware updates on a regular basis.
This has been an incredible learning experience for me and for our company. As a group of forward-thinking musicians who are passionate about creating new experiences for guitar players, we hate to disappoint you. We are working hard every day to make our customer experience equal to the quality of our Spark amps.

Thank you, once again, for your continued patience and support.

Sincerely,

Calvin Abel
CEO, Positive Grid​

I got this email today also. Looking like mid August the latest? At least they're addressing it. Could've just left everyone hanging?!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I got this email today also. Looking like mid August the latest? At least they're addressing it. Could've just left everyone hanging?!

Yes, that's way, way better customer service if there's a problem or a delay if they keep you apprised versus just keeping quiet and keeping your customers guessing. It's way less frustrating if you have to wait for something if you at least know what's going on and that there are reasons for the delay and things are being dealt with. If they just kept me wondering, my mind would go nuts worried that maybe they'll just pocket my money or maybe when I do finally get it that it will be inferior quality. I believe this thing will be worth the wait. I think it will be a good recording amp in addition to a good practice one. And if this thing does as well as it seems it's doing, I would love to see them come out with a performance version, one that's a stack and has enough volume to play sizable venues. If it had something like 8 storeable channels with a corresponding 8 footswitches, that would be amazing. You would have all those effects pedals at your disposal for gigs. That would be great. I could put a classic overdriven Marshall Plexi as my main channel and then a lovely and sweet clean Fender Deluxe Reverb for my clean one. Then the other ones would be different combos of those with effects pedals that I might use. Maybe I step on #3 and it's that same clean Fender Deluxe Reverb, except with a chorus unit or with a Strymon-style reverb pedal. You would have total control for a show as if you had brought numerous classic, expensive amps. Maybe you go with the crunchy Marshall Plexi for your rhythm playing and then switch to a high-gain Mesa Boogie sound with Strymon-style reverb for leads. The possibilities would be incredible. People have been doing things like this with the ultra-expensive Kemper profiling amps. The less-expensive modeling amps prior to this just haven't cut it, IMO. I've tried the Marshall modeling amps, and they just don't cut it. Their tone isn't as nice as real Marshall tube amps.

What do you think about that? Would you go for a Spark performance amp if they came out with one? The money saved on pedals would be a game changer IMO. I've never even been much of a pedal user simply because their cost adds up so much. I've never performed with more than two pedals. I've normally just performed with a quality amp. For years I didn't even use a tuning pedal.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yes, that's way, way better customer service if there's a problem or a delay if they keep you apprised versus just keeping quiet and keeping your customers guessing. It's way less frustrating if you have to wait for something if you at least know what's going on and that there are reasons for the delay and things are being dealt with. If they just kept me wondering, my mind would go nuts worried that maybe they'll just pocket my money or maybe when I do finally get it that it will be inferior quality. I believe this thing will be worth the wait. I think it will be a good recording amp in addition to a good practice one. And if this thing does as well as it seems it's doing, I would love to see them come out with a performance version, one that's a stack and has enough volume to play sizable venues. If it had something like 8 storeable channels with a corresponding 8 footswitches, that would be amazing. You would have all those effects pedals at your disposal for gigs. That would be great. I could put a classic overdriven Marshall Plexi as my main channel and then a lovely and sweet clean Fender Deluxe Reverb for my clean one. Then the other ones would be different combos of those with effects pedals that I might use. Maybe I step on #3 and it's that same clean Fender Deluxe Reverb, except with a chorus unit or with a Strymon-style reverb pedal. You would have total control for a show as if you had brought numerous classic, expensive amps. Maybe you go with the crunchy Marshall Plexi for your rhythm playing and then switch to a high-gain Mesa Boogie sound with Strymon-style reverb for leads. The possibilities would be incredible. People have been doing things like this with the ultra-expensive Kemper profiling amps. The less-expensive modeling amps prior to this just haven't cut it, IMO. I've tried the Marshall modeling amps, and they just don't cut it. Their tone isn't as nice as real Marshall tube amps.

What do you think about that? Would you go for a Spark performance amp if they came out with one? The money saved on pedals would be a game changer IMO. I've never even been much of a pedal user simply because their cost adds up so much. I've never performed with more than two pedals. I've normally just performed with a quality amp. For years I didn't even use a tuning pedal.

I would definitely be interested... depending on price tag of course? We'll see how it works out with the practice amp and hopefully they will develop a performance version at some point.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Hey, Big_D, I just checked the Positive Grid order tracker re my amp. It says mine will ship by July 31st, which is tomorrow! If you check yours, I'd bet the same will be true of yours. This thing's gonna happen! I'm excited.

Big_D

Reaction score
I just got an update. Mine shipped and said it will be delivered on Monday 8/3. I rerouted the shipment for pickup on Tuesday morning because I won't be home Monday. Don't want that sitting on my porch all day. Very excited. I think I'm going to order another guitar also. New amp, new guitar. :)

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I just got an update. Mine shipped and said it will be delivered on Monday 8/3. I rerouted the shipment for pickup on Tuesday morning because I won't be home Monday. Don't want that sitting on my porch all day. Very excited. I think I'm going to order another guitar also. New amp, new guitar. :)

Cool. If you saw my other thread, you saw my new Takamine acoustic. It's the nicest acoustic I've ever owned. For electric, I have an Ibanez Artist ARZ. I would like to next own a Superstrat. I may build one with Warmoth parts or get a ready made one by Ibanez or Schecter. I'm leaning toward doing a build so it will be unique and exactly what I want.

Big_D

Reaction score
I just bought an epiphone Les Paul... should pair nice with the Spark.

71aVzcU7heL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I just bought an epiphone Les Paul... should pair nice with the Spark.

71aVzcU7heL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Very sweet axe, man. You'll be able to get some good tones out of her for sure with your Spark. There's nothing like a Les Paul for warm tone and good sustain. Congrats on the purchase. Bringing a new guitar home is the best feeling!

Here's what I'll be playing with my Spark. It's my 2013 Ibanez Artist ARZ.

Ibanez-Artist-Black.jpg

And here's a mock-up of the Superstrat I'm planning on building with Warmoth parts. It doesn't show the neck, but you get the idea. I could still change the design some before the final build, but this is where I'm at now.

Final-View-front.png

You can make some incredible custom guitars with Warmoth parts.

Big_D

Reaction score
Very sweet axe, man. You'll be able to get some good tones out of her for sure with your Spark. There's nothing like a Les Paul for warm tone and good sustain. Congrats on the purchase. Bringing a new guitar home is the best feeling!

Here's what I'll be playing with my Spark. It's my 2013 Ibanez Artist ARZ.

Ibanez-Artist-Black.jpg

And here's a mock-up of the Superstrat I'm planning on building with Warmoth parts. It doesn't show the neck, but you get the idea. I could still change the design some before the final build, but this is where I'm at now.

Final-View-front.png

You can make some incredible custom guitars with Warmoth parts.

Love the Ibanez. I was looking at those also. Probably be my next guitar at some point. I like the build... I'd definitely be into a project like that. Very cool.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Big_D, it's delivered! I haven't even opened it, as I'm still working my shift, but that baby be in my bedroom.

Watch for yours! They didn't even knock. They just left it at my doorstep and I didn't know it was there until I saw "delivered" on the order tracking thingie. So keep an eye our for yours on delivery day if you don't already have yours.

Big_D

Reaction score
Big_D, it's delivered! I haven't even opened it, as I'm still working my shift, but that baby be in my bedroom.

Watch for yours! They didn't even knock. They just left it at my doorstep and I didn't know it was there until I saw "delivered" on the order tracking thingie. So keep an eye our for yours on delivery day if you don't already have yours.

Mine was also delivered and I think the new guitar should be here tomorrow or the next day? I opened it tried it out for a little while, checked out the app etc. A little trial run. Love it. But I really have to start putting the time in. Looking forward to it. It was a Fed ex delivery so I had it rerouted to the nearest pickup which happens to be right down the block. Same with the guitar from Sweetwater. Can't be leaving that on the porch. lol

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Mine was also delivered and I think the new guitar should be here tomorrow or the next day? I opened it tried it out for a little while, checked out the app etc. A little trial run. Love it. But I really have to start putting the time in. Looking forward to it. It was a Fed ex delivery so I had it rerouted to the nearest pickup which happens to be right down the block. Same with the guitar from Sweetwater. Can't be leaving that on the porch. lol

Glad you got yours too. When you get your Les Paul, be sure to post a picture of it, okay? I've tried out a bunch of different tones of the Spark, and have tried some of the play along features. That tiny little amp can kick out some serious bass. I've played some songs both with my Ibanez electric and my Takamine acoustic-electric. I'm still got a ton to learn. I especially want to try the songwriting feature where it figures out a drum and bass line for something you play. I also realized I'll be able to play the sound files from my guitar music theory books over the Spark. I have all those MP3s on my Android, so when the Android is connected to the Spark, all that stuff will play over it. Cool. Perfect for when I'm working on my music theory stuff. Back when I played in high school, I didn't know that much music theory. I just used the pentatonic box patterns and adjusted them up and down the neck until they sounded on key, but now I've got a bunch of Joseph Alexander books to learn the various scales and what they're all for. That stuff together with this Spark should help me to become a better player. It's cool with the Spark app's search tool, you can find just about any song to play along with. I plan to learn a bunch of CCR stuff that I always wanted to know how to play, both electric and acoustic stuff. I've got pretty much all the sheet music/tabs for CCR's songs as GP3 and GP4 files that I can pull up with this TuxGuitar program. Now I just need to get off my duff and learn a bunch of the stuff. Ain't got no excuses now. I've got what I need to learn it. Blows my mind the guitar tools that exist today. When I was a teenager, I would record a song from an LP or even from the radio onto a cassette tape and learn it by listening to it a zillion times and sounding it out.

Be in touch any time you want about your guitar playing. Let me know what all you're learning to play and how it's going. If you want any of those tabs, let me know. It's this massive collection I found, and some of it I don't even know what it is.