Guys continue to cut themselves

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There better be a kicker in camp today. Seriously .. Maher will cost us games. We play a lot of close ones.

Most teams have 2 kickers in camp.
  • That means up to 31 kickers that will get cut.
  • Those are likely the 31 best kickers.
  • If a kicker is available right now, there is likely an issue with that player.

The primary available kicker right now:
Matt Bryant
Age 44
Missed 3 games with a hamstring injury in 2018.
Has not kicked off since 2008.
Was 20 of 21 in 2018 (good percentage but most kickers have about 2x that number of attempts).
Likely wants more than league minimum (He made 3.5M in 2018).

Maher's 2018 season is probably a better indicator than the preseason or practice.
- All but 2 of his missed FGs last season were in open air stadiums.
- He only missed 6 total plus 1 that was blocked.
- The 52 yard attempt in this preseason game was open air stadium and windy.
- He has an issue with kicking from the right hash mark. The kick last night was on the right hash mark.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
what was thought to be hard at the start of the PS has turned pretty easy as the games have shown who’s a player and who’s PS material.

Guys who have cut themselves:
White
JV Johnson
Weber
Hyatt

Guys who have made it tough for back end of roster:
Devin Smith
Justin Phillips
Gifford
Cedrick Wilson
Olumba
Joe Jackson
Hyder

Give it 2 more games and assuming most stay healthy that 53 will pretty much write itself.

I know the only 2 NFL backs on the team are Zeke and Pollard. With Olawale as the FB. They may keep Morris if Zeke doesn’t report but Weber is like Scarbrough last year. Nice flashy name given pedigree but not a factor.

If there’s a 3rd QB go find it from another team.

LBs will be interesting because if they only keep 6 a good player is going to be let go like maybe March Lillard.

DBs still not enough depth back behind the starters. Does Iloka know he’s allowed to be in on plays? I’ve seen him out there but he’s done nothing.

Flashy name ... 7th round pick. That does not at all compute.

CapnB

Reaction score
Every year during training camps across the league. This is pretty much what happens.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
what was thought to be hard at the start of the PS has turned pretty easy as the games have shown who’s a player and who’s PS material.

Guys who have cut themselves:
White
JV Johnson
Weber
Hyatt

Guys who have made it tough for back end of roster:
Devin Smith
Justin Phillips
Gifford
Cedrick Wilson
Olumba
Joe Jackson
Hyder

Give it 2 more games and assuming most stay healthy that 53 will pretty much write itself.

I know the only 2 NFL backs on the team are Zeke and Pollard. With Olawale as the FB. They may keep Morris if Zeke doesn’t report but Weber is like Scarbrough last year. Nice flashy name given pedigree but not a factor.

If there’s a 3rd QB go find it from another team.

LBs will be interesting because if they only keep 6 a good player is going to be let go like maybe March Lillard.

DBs still not enough depth back behind the starters. Does Iloka know he’s allowed to be in on plays? I’ve seen him out there but he’s done nothing.

I think White is gone. weber, Johnson to the PS. although Jackson maybe a candidate to get cut and we keep weber.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Let’s be real about Maher. He’d be cut if he didn’t have such a big leg. I don’t think one preseason game should determine if he’s on the roster or not. But I kind of feel like this is what he is. Big leg but inconsistent she if Garret I wouldn’t want that on my roster in a make or break year.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I like jon vea Johnson's speed, route running, etc. unfortunately, he has to hold on to the ball. much like noah brown in that respect.
If he can improve his hands he’d be a b***h to cover in the slot.

Reaction score
Weber really got minimal chances to do anything. The blocking was bad.

My sentiments as well. I felt sorry for the running backs running behind that line. Chaos and buffoonery, the RBs didn't have a chance. At least the pass protection was "semi-decent",,, sometimes.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Weber would perform much better running behind at least the 2nd string Oline. Can't do much behind a porous 3rd string Oline.

Morris is too old and too slow. He will be cut soon enough. Earned himself a nice and quick million for a training camp fill in.

Darius Jackson is fighting for the 3rd string spot, along with Jordan Chunn. Difference is Chunn is pretty good playing special teams while Jackson is not.

It will be interesting to see who the Cowboys keep at 3rd string RB. It's between Weber, Jackson and Chunn. Morris is a goner. Olawale as FB is also not a guarantee if Cowboys find a better replacement during final cuts.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What a waste of a 2nd round pick on Trysten Hill. They guy needs several training camps just to perform as expected at this point.