Guys who I think will be cut

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sadly we like our guys.
This really overused and misused. The Cowboys just say this to put on a good face when it looks like they aren't going to be able to improve at a position. What else are they going to say in that situation - that they are just going to suck at that position for the next yea?

The last 5 years, either through releasing players or letting them leave as free agents, they have let a number players go that were starters or got significant playing time. Byron Jones, Awuzie, Leary, Dez, Jaylon Smith, Beasley, Maliek Collins, Hitchens, Carr, Church, Heath, Looney, Woods (Xavier & Antwaun) ….

J_Allen

Reaction score
Did you hear Aikman say that we use him the wrong way ? He is in single coverage a lot, problem is that we tend to stick too much on our offense scheme. Other problem is that our QB is not able to complete passes against NFL single man coverage, which in the NFL is usually seen as an open WR. He needs college open WRs.

I dont say Cooper is a top 3 NFL WR, but at the position right now he is the best we have and i doubt if we lose Gallup that Lamb alone will be a real threat to other defenses. I dont even trust in the Gallup/Lamb combo.

I dont say his contract is great but there are players on this team i would rather cut before i touch him.

DFlaw has to be cut in 2022, Zeke in 2023.

Well it doesn't do any good to pay someone $20 million dollars a year if the quarterback can't get them the ball. You might as well find someone for one million a year.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Well it doesn't do any good to pay someone $20 million dollars a year if the quarterback can't get them the ball. You might as well find someone for one million a year.

Thats right.

But that is another problem. And i am with you: to even invest a penny into other players with that QB1 we have is contraproductive.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
That's the QB lacking confidence and trust in his receivers. You exploit lesser talent as much as possible. With all the game film, you should know who's covering the receiving corp and the DB's competencies and tendencies.

Amari Coop is the one who creates the most separation out of all of the receivers and that's exactly what Dak needs as you already described it.

The QB needs to do what Romo did and wait for the play clock to get closer to zero so the defense HAS to be in position and show their hand.

Daks problem is not his lack of confidence. Its his lack of talent. The guy is not able to do it.

And that also answers the part with Romo. Dez made a living with the back shoulder fade. Dak was and is not able to throw that ball with the precission it is needed.

In fact i see much more a lack of confidence in the eys of our WRs when they see who is throwing the ball to them. No wonder Lamb and Cooper disapear. I would lose my motivation also.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
everyone here is tripping hating on Amari:

1. came from a dump of oakland - knows how nice it is in dallas
2. lives here now
3. gallup won't return until late fall, won't be ready for wk 1

if somehow MM convinces jerry it will be good for ceedee to get more targets i can see it happening moore might save himself another year with that excuse saying they will turn ceedee into jamar chase

J_Allen

Reaction score
everyone here is tripping hating on Amari:

1. came from a dump of oakland - knows how nice it is in dallas
2. lives here now
3. gallup won't return until late fall, won't be ready for wk 1

if somehow MM convinces jerry it will be good for ceedee to get more targets i can see it happening moore might save himself another year with that excuse saying they will turn ceedee into jamar chase

If Jerry criticizes you like that to the media, you're done.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Because he's not as underperforming as you think. He's a very good run stopper and he still has a decent to good pressure rate. Stop looking at just sacks.

Also, subtracting him from the DE spot, with Gregory also a FA, leaves you with one of the worst DE situations in football.

But let's go with this. You cut Lawrence and save $8 million. How do you plan on fixing DE? All you have under contract is Golston and Basham.

are you serious? DLaw is the worst contract on this team. The guy has under preformed every year since he got his deal and you do not pay 20 million a year for a run stopper. Besides its not like the D got any better when he came back this year. He can be replaced

mahoneybill

Reaction score
tyron is on a team friendly deal and is still our best ot...i have no interest in moving on.
i would draft a solid ot prospect.

dlaw is our best de and played well when he came back.
im still drafting a de because you can never have enuff.
id restructure his deal.

amari is our best wr.
i restructure.

im not interested in moving off 3 of our best players and creating more holes to fill.

restructures and rebuild O line and get a real Run stuffer DT for middle of line.

mahoneybill

Reaction score

the voice of reality. That and a RB who has in effect become a blocking fullback and maybe goal line RB

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Man that is a great plan,,, I would love to have a WR corp of CD, Gallup and Wilson... Love Cooper as well but man 20mil goes a long way in Cap dollars

would be great to see a comparison of targets/ catches / TDS / first down’s especially 3 rd down conversions instead of just yards

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Not against what you are proposing but who are you replacing them with because if you don't have a good one to replace then you are praying you hit it right in the draft.
Cooper - a trade only would work for me but then we have to resign Gallup and Wilson
D-Law - his injuries hurt but seriously doubt we cut him, probably restructure him
Smith - still on of the best LT in the game and other than possibly Steele there is no one that can produce like he can, better hope Josh Ball can take over but that has yet to be seen
Zuerlien - yes please although literally every kicker this year suffered and supposedly talk of decreasing the width of the uprights isn't going to improve things other than more teams going for it on 4th down.

goal posts are 18 feet 6 inches wide. Most fans think they are wide based on camera view.

making them smaller doesn’t make sense with the number of missed XP’S across the league

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Didn't Prescott get sacked like 5 times by the same DE a couple years ago when Smith was out? It's ideal to have him for every game, but I don't think Dak has the pocket awareness or the pocket movement to deal with consistent pressure from his left side and have success the same way Rodgers or Wilson did throughout their career.

Rodgers has great lateral movement and pocket awareness. You don’t see him scrambling. He slides sets and fires to his receivers.

Moore or whomever is the QB coach needs to teach Dak that technique.

Also WR’s need to learn scramble drill. Not just route , stop, look for ball.