Hakeem Nicks...

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Have to be honest, don't know enough about him besides the highlights I've seen.

I've seen some places where they are worried he's the next Mike Williams from USC. Per Peter King on SI - he showed up Friday to a workout for the Ravens out of shape again. Seems to be a reoccurring theme for him.

Also seen some people (draft guys) claim he could be the next Fitzgerald?

What is everyone's thoughts on him?

RS12

Reaction score
• Kenny Britt is flaky. Darrius Heyward-Bey's hands and route-running are suspect. Hakeem Nicks was overweight and not in great shape when the Ravens worked him out Friday. In other words, the receivers are a suspect group, and a few of them we thought would be picked in the first round are going in the second.

From Peter King CNNSI this AM. Bey has highest bust likelyhood IMO. Britt has highest upside. Nicks should be best shape of life and isnt.

DFWJC

Reaction score
King is usually better at research than this demonstrates. Hicks hurt his leg (not badly) and did not show up in the shape he needed to be in. Granted, the 10 lbs or so extra seemed like a lot.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
numnuts23;2737172 said:
Have to be honest, don't know enough about him besides the highlights I've seen.

I've seen some places where they are worried he's the next Mike Williams from USC. Per Peter King on SI - he showed up Friday to a workout for the Ravens out of shape again. Seems to be a reoccurring theme for him.

Also seen some people (draft guys) claim he could be the next Fitzgerald?

What is everyone's thoughts on him?

I like him and I think he has a chance to be a very good NFL WR. There are no guarantees with any player no matter what any draft expert thinks. I have seen enough “Can’t miss player” bomb to know that

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
I caught the tail end of a Mike and Mike interview with Todd McShay, and he referred someone as a "poor mans Troy Williamson."

Anyone have any idea who he was talking about?

Monster Heel

Benched
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;2737216 said:
I caught the tail end of a Mike and Mike interview with Todd McShay, and he referred someone as a "poor mans Troy Williamson."

Didn't see it, but I'd bet on that being Bey.

Spectre

Reaction score

sounds like Heyward-Bey?

In any case, put me down for Kenny McKinley.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score

It was Heward- Bey. They were saying that he has great straight line speed like Williamson, but runs poor routes, drops catchable balls, and has lapses in concentration at times. Said that he is a gamble pick.

I honestly would not want him on the team. I don't believe he has character issues, but you simply cannot outrun everybody in the NFL like you do in college and expect to be successful. I would take crisp route running with 4.5 speed over sloppy route running and 4.3 speed any day of the week, especially on Sunday and Monday nights.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
JonJon;2737418 said:
It was Heward- Bey. They were saying that he has great straight line speed like Williamson, but runs poor routes, drops catchable balls, and has lapses in concentration at times. Said that he is a gamble pick.

Gamble?

That's just throwing money away.

Why any team would consider drafting a guy like that in the first four or five rounds is a mystery to me.

I know they think they can "coach 'em up" but that rarely works.

I wouldnt touch that guy.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Chief;2737427 said:
Gamble?

That's just throwing money away.

Why any team would consider drafting a guy like that in the first four or five rounds is a mystery to me.

I know they think they can "coach 'em up" but that rarely works.

I wouldnt touch that guy.
Here's what draftcountdown.com had to say:
Height: 6-1 5/8 | Weight: 210 | 40-Time: 4.30
Darrius Heyward-Bey | Maryland Terrapins
Official Bio

Strengths:
A smooth, fluid athlete...Long strider with rare speed...Explosive with great acceleration and a burst...Quick and agile...Terrific height and bulk with long arms...Excellent leaper...Nice body control and ball skills...Tough and not afraid to work the middle...Vertical threat who can separate...Also a dangerous weapon on reverses...Great work ethic...Could also contribute as a return man...Still has a ton of upside.

Weaknesses:
Is inconsistent catching the ball and does not have great natural hands...Questionable instincts and awareness...Still very raw as a route runner...Not much wiggle and won't make people miss...Doesn't break a lot of tackles...Average strength...Marginal blocker...Has little or no special teams experience...Wasn't real productive..Workout Warrior?

Not good for a supposed first round pick. I hope the Eagles take him.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
RS12;2737196 said:
From Peter King CNNSI this AM. Bey has highest bust likelyhood IMO. Britt has highest upside. Nicks should be best shape of life and isnt.

The story his agent is telling is that Nicks couldn't run after hurting his hamstring at the combine, but rather than get lazy, he hit the weights extra hard, resulting in 14 extra pounds of weight in his upper body... the same scout said that Nicks has already lost 6 of those pounds (and that was a few days ago)... here's what NFL Draft Scout had to say about his work ethic and character:

Character: Nicks is highly respected, considered a good guy and is highly recommended by his coaches. There are no off-field issues or skeletons hidden in his closet. He has a quiet, yet friendly personality and is a self-starter with confidence in his ability to get the job done. He's the type of player coaches know will need no structure and is actually used as a mentor for the younger players due to his advanced maturity.

Does that sound like a lazy player to y'all??

FWIW, at the combine he weighed in at his playing weight of 212 pounds... he was not out of shape then... so if he gained 14 pounds in like 3 weeks, then I find it easy to believe that he did it lifting; it's hard to eat 14 pounds onto your frame in that short a time... even Herm Johnson couldn't eat that much, LOL...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
silverbear;2737865 said:
The story his agent is telling is that Nicks couldn't run after hurting his hamstring at the combine, but rather than get lazy, he hit the weights extra hard, resulting in 14 extra pounds of weight in his upper body... the same scout said that Nicks has already lost 6 of those pounds (and that was a few days ago)... here's what NFL Draft Scout had to say about his work ethic and character:

Does that sound like a lazy player to y'all??

FWIW, at the combine he weighed in at his playing weight of 212 pounds... he was not out of shape then... so if he gained 14 pounds in like 3 weeks, then I find it easy to believe that he did it lifting; it's hard to eat 14 pounds onto your frame in that short a time... even Herm Johnson couldn't eat that much, LOL...

I agree...I think the +14lbs might be somebody's fish story.

Look at the guy on film, he doesnt look the least bit out of shape to me.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
dbair1967;2737870 said:

He was one of the hardest workers on that UNC team.

RESIN8

Reaction score
In regards to Bey he really never had a decent QB throwing him the ball. The Terps aren't really known for throwing the ball much. He does have value in terms of getting him in space.

Far from being a top 5 wr, but I'm sure some team will fall in love with his 40 time.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I would much rather have Nicks than Robiskie.

Robiskie, at best, is a solid number 2 in the NFL, imo. He will be over drafted, imo.

Nicks could be 1B or close to a 1, imo.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
dbair1967;2737870 said:

I don't know if it was 14 pounds, but his agent more or less conceded that he was heavier at his Pro Day workout...

The weight gain supposedly happened after the combine... and again, it's really tough for anybody this side of Nate Newton to put on 14 pounds in that short a time...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
judging by the history of tOSU WRs.....Robiskie seems like a safe gamble.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
RESIN8;2737898 said:
In regards to Bey he really never had a decent QB throwing him the ball. The Terps aren't really known for throwing the ball much. He does have value in terms of getting him in space.

Far from being a top 5 wr, but I'm sure some team will fall in love with his 40 time.

Yep he'll be way over-drafted just because of that. So many teams draft for speed, regardless if the player has the talent or not (and Im not saying Bey doesnt have any)