Halloween memories for the older crowd

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Around here in the late 60's early 70's the night before Halloween was known as Cabbage Night and was when the pranksters had their fun. Just about every neighborhood had it's band of pranksters roaming the city. Stores would pull the eggs off the shelves. Every cop on the force, and maybe a few special deputies would be out patrolling, often in their own vehicles. It never took long to figure out which vehicles were the cops and they would then be targeted. I honestly think the cops back then enjoyed the night. Of course we knew every backyard and every fence, and they would try and pattern us and head us off at the pass. No real damage was done. The usual irresponsible prankster stuff.

Halloween night was much calmer and completely safe for everyone to trick or treat wherever they wished. Chances of having to wear your costume over a winter parka were good so you had to be prepared for that. Definitely one of the highlights of the year.
For some reason, it was called "Goosy Night" where I lived. Never heard it called that anywhere else.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cabbage night around our house was my brother constantly farting. My mom made rolled cabbage once a week and my brother turned it into a fart fest. He became a professional flatulist for a couple of months, loading up on cabbage before every performance. However, he was forced to give it up after rupturing his sphincter muscle during a farting contest.
Those high C's are very dangerous, especially in spandex. If you wear long ones, you can blow out an ankle.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did anyone ever play "Let's Make A Deal" with their candy? I always went out with my brother. After we got home, we made trades between us getting rid of what we didn't like with each other since we liked different kind of candy. Worked out great for both of us.

Then there was the year he got sick and couldn't go. So I split my candy with him.

One thing that never changed was that we always had a basket we put candy in that neither of us liked. My mom liked Cherry Mashes and she got them all. HAHA!!!

Unfortunately everything has changed over the years and it's nothing like it used to be. And that's a shame.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
PNY-MSK.jpg
:thumbup:

Turtle0986

Reaction score
Growing up in the 90s, I remember all the other kids every year going trick-or-treating until they were teens, we had a freak late October blizzard one year, like four days before, did a lot of damage, everyone still celebrated it despite the city trying to cancel it. Had a neighbor one year give us hotdog buns as a joke, then exchanged them for king size candy bars when we went back, they lived across the street.

Now it seems there are hardly any kids out trick or treating, our neighborhood is doing a trunk or treat this year, last year we didnt see anyone out and about. My wife and I feel bad for our kiddos, it's like we lost a piece of what the holiday had been for convenience and laziness, over going around to houses to get treats.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Growing up in the 90s, I remember all the other kids every year going trick-or-treating until they were teens, we had a freak late October blizzard one year, like four days before, did a lot of damage, everyone still celebrated it despite the city trying to cancel it. Had a neighbor one year give us hotdog buns as a joke, then exchanged them for king size candy bars when we went back, they lived across the street.

Now it seems there are hardly any kids out trick or treating, our neighborhood is doing a trunk or treat this year, last year we didnt see anyone out and about. My wife and I feel bad for our kiddos, it's like we lost a piece of what the holiday had been for convenience and laziness, over going around to houses to get treats.
Kids these days would probably rather be playing Xbox and Tik Tok, plus the fact that some kids are just plain coddled. Sad that times change

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Here in CT we had a big snowstorm a couple of days before Halloween, probably about 10 years ago. Halloween was cancelled.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I was talking with a 30sumthing father a week or so back and he told me that he and his wife agonize so hard over what could be in their kids candy they don't let them have it. He's got two young boys and after trick or treating the parents tell their kids they're donating the candy to charity and then throw it in the trash. I told him I thought it was crazy but he said it's what most of the parents they know did. I mean yeah I took a pretty tentative first bite of that mini Snickers bar, but once I determined it was razor blade free it was on.

In 1978 I went as Zoro The Gay Blade to my schools Halloween Carnival. First off nobody said a word about me being the "Gay Blade", then nobody said a word about me carrying my grandfather's 3 foot military dress sword on campus, through haunted houses, cake walks, and dunking booths. All night long I'd whip my blade out for Polaroids by the parents or friends without the least concern. Can you only imagine what would happen today if you showed up at your school's Fall Festival, dressed in black, wearing a mask, brandishing a 3 foot sword, and declaring yourself as The Gay Blade?

shabazz

Reaction score
For some reason, it was called "Goosy Night" where I lived. Never heard it called that anywhere else.

In north jersey it was called goosy night in my town too.

So last night I put a jacks o lantern with a candle on the edge of the lawn right next to the street. I woke up and saw that it was still intact. I was utterly and profoundly disappointed. I knew that the boys have been so emasculated by society that they wouldn’t dare touch it but I was hoping that the girls of the neighborhood would have smashed it to smithereeens.

what’s this world coming to………:D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In north jersey it was called goosy night in my town too.

So last night I put a jacks o lantern with a candle on the edge of the lawn right next to the street. I woke up and saw that it was still intact. I was utterly and profoundly disappointed. I knew that the boys have been so emasculated by society that they wouldn’t dare touch it but I was hoping that the girls of the neighborhood would have smashed it to smithereeens.

what’s this world coming to………:D
They know a trap when they see one!

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I was talking with a 30sumthing father a week or so back and he told me that he and his wife agonize so hard over what could be in their kids candy they don't let them have it. He's got two young boys and after trick or treating the parents tell their kids they're donating the candy to charity and then throw it in the trash. I told him I thought it was crazy but he said it's what most of the parents they know did. I mean yeah I took a pretty tentative first bite of that mini Snickers bar, but once I determined it was razor blade free it was on.

In 1978 I went as Zoro The Gay Blade to my schools Halloween Carnival. First off nobody said a word about me being the "Gay Blade", then nobody said a word about me carrying my grandfather's 3 foot military dress sword on campus, through haunted houses, cake walks, and dunking booths. All night long I'd whip my blade out for Polaroids by the parents or friends without the least concern. Can you only imagine what would happen today if you showed up at your school's Fall Festival, dressed in black, wearing a mask, brandishing a 3 foot sword, and declaring yourself as The Gay Blade?
In Highschool we had a western day People were actually allowed to pack real handguns in holster's they had to be unloaded though

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In Highschool we had a western day People were actually allowed to pack real handguns in holster's they had to be unloaded though

We also had a western day with kids packing toy guns to school. We even had a slave day where kids were auctioned off to be slaves. That wouldn’t fly today and the only way they would allow a western day is without holsters and replica guns being brought to school.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
We also had a western day with kids packing toy guns to school. We even had a slave day where kids were auctioned off to be slaves. That wouldn’t fly today and the only way they would allow a western day is without holsters and replica guns being brought to school.
I wore my Lone Ranger cap guns the ones that shot plastic bullets still have them and they look like real 6 shooters

shabazz

Reaction score

oh, you could do a slave day in public school that the board of education would back, but there would a lot of leather, latex and whips involved