Halloween Tricks or Treats?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What’s your best memory about Halloween and what’s the worst thing that happened to you as a youngster?

My best was going to the Finkbeiner’s, the local meat packer, as they had hot dogs, a huge cooler of Cokes and Barq’s and freshly made popcorn balls. That was the official meet n greet for kids from that area of Little Rock.

One street over lived a young married couple and he hadn’t grown up yet and he would dress all in black, put a stocking on his head and hide on his roof, in the tree or in the yard an scare hell out of us and we looked forward to it. We were all that stupid girl going down to the cellar to investigate that noise and couldn’t wait. He’d get an audience of 30 or 40 kids across the street waiting to see him get his next victim and he had really great homemade yard decorations, the guy could have been in F/X.

The last Halloween he would make special for us he had an accident and fell out of the tree and broke his leg. The ambulance arrived and when his wife learned it was only a broken leg, she started in on the “told ya so and why don’t you grow up” and we decided right there that there are some scarier things than night creatures and things that go bump in the night..........marriage.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There was a couple who lived at the beginning of our dirt road, "The Paliottas". They were both artists, and did extreme makeup jobs to hand out candy.

They acted it out, without breaking character ever.

One year there was the wolfman, another year was a witch, then a Grim Reaper....I think that was the year Billy Voight ran down the driveway and started throwing rocks at Mrs. Paliotta.

nobody

Reaction score
Best memories of Halloween: Going out with a pillow case with my brother and friends, no parents and coming back late. There were kids everywhere and no parents hovering in cars. When I got a little older, I'd decorate the front porch of my parent's house and scare trick or treaters, a tradition I've held to this day, so like 31 years or so now?

Worst thing to happen to me on Halloween: I was working at a haunted house and scared an adult so well that they punched me right in the face as their reaction. I was 13 at the time. Fortunately I was too busy laughing to really feel the pain too much. They spent the next five minutes or so apologizing. I was like "It's cool! No harm done. Please move on before the next group comes so I can scare em." So not really anything bad happened on any Halloween for me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did that pillowcase thing a well and was there anything better than dumping it all out onto bed and going through the sorting process and cataloguing which houses gave the good stuff and which ones were “ on the naughty list” for next year?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Actually, just a couple of years ago. I took my entire IT team to a haunted house. As we were going through it, I just knew there was going to be a guy camped around this corner we were coming to and I was sure he was going to jump out. So I quietly walked up to the corner and I jumped out at him and he went flying backwards. I scared the ever living (BLEEP) out of him rofl.

Good times!

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Best memories of Halloween: Going out with a pillow case with my brother and friends, no parents and coming back late. There were kids everywhere and no parents hovering in cars. When I got a little older, I'd decorate the front porch of my parent's house and scare trick or treaters, a tradition I've held to this day, so like 31 years or so now?

Worst thing to happen to me on Halloween: I was working at a haunted house and scared an adult so well that they punched me right in the face as their reaction. I was 13 at the time. Fortunately I was too busy laughing to really feel the pain too much. They spent the next five minutes or so apologizing. I was like "It's cool! No harm done. Please move on before the next group comes so I can scare em." So not really anything bad happened on any Halloween for me.
One of those you don't deserve it but you do..:laugh:

lukin2006

Reaction score
My worst Halloween was when I was 7 or 8 and some older kids grab and ran with my sack of candy. The best Halloween also happened to be that one, since it was nearing the end of the night when my candy was stolen I was encouraged by my best friends older bother to at least go up and down the street 1 more time, by that time the neighbours knew what happened and were just giving me most of the rest of the candy...so it all worked out. And most importantly I barely gave that bad incident a second thought, since it was followed with such good memories so quickly.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We used to wreak havoc from the ages of 12 to 17. We TP's many houses and smashed hundreds of mailboxes. There was this one mailbox we called "the Sun". It was huge with a bright yellow sun on it. We got that sucker every year for about six years, sometimes three times in the same year.

It was odd because every time we got it, it appeared the next morning as good as new. We figured it was possessed or the hermit had 20 of them in storage :laugh:

We stopped our mischievous days after a close call with a badarse in a vette and two cops. My buddy, who is now a D.C. district attorney, threw the guys mailbox thru the vette's back window. The guy was in the garage, jumped into his car and chased us all around our city. We drove through peoples front yards and whatever was in the way.

We were scared and two patrol cars joined in. They finally caught us in a church parking lot, had us cornered. Once they cooled down, they took us to another friends house and told his parents. Basically, we got a few slaps on our wrists and nothing else :cool:

I have many Halloween stories.......ahh, the good ole 80's

jsb357

Reaction score
6 or 7 I remember my fingers bleeding profusely but I don't know what happened.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One Halloween was my awakening to how the real world can be. The incident that started all of the paranoia about Halloween candy and I was just a young boy.

A little boy of 6 or 7 was poisoned in Houston and died and the entire country was alarmed that some sick person had intentionally poisoned a child with Halloween candy. Several days later after house to house canvassing by the police, the truth came out and was far worse than anyone could imagine. The boy’s father had murdered his own son.

Let me tell you, this was beyond mind blowing for me and all of my friends. This was real horror beyond our comprehension and on this day those feelings always return to remind me this can be a far more dangerous place than we can imagine. Monsters are real.

It wasn’t too long after that incidents of razor blades began showing up in apples, copious amounts of laxatives in popcorn balls and drugs in candy. All designed against the most innocent and trusting.

GMO415

Reaction score
My old man would tell us this story, back when he was a kid in Louisiana...They went to this old lady's house to trick or treat, and the lady replied "trick" and the lady pulled out two pistols. My Dad and his sublings ran as fast as they could....hahaha

Machine%2BGun%2BWoman.gif

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
6 or 7 I remember my fingers bleeding profusely but I don't know what happened.
One Halloween was my awakening to how the real world can be. The incident that started all of the paranoia about Halloween candy and I was just a young boy.

A little boy of 6 or 7 was poisoned in Houston and died and the entire country was alarmed that some sick person had intentionally poisoned a child with Halloween candy. Several days later after house to house canvassing by the police, the truth came out and was far worse than anyone could imagine. The boy’s father had murdered his own son.

Let me tell you, this was beyond mind blowing for me and all of my friends. This was real horror beyond our comprehension and on this day those feelings always return to remind me this can be a far more dangerous place than we can imagine. Monsters are real.

It wasn’t too long after that incidents of razor blades began showing up in apples, copious amounts of laxatives in popcorn balls and drugs in candy. All designed against the most innocent and trusting.
Just heard someone today on the radio say that somewhere in England (London, I think) someone was passing out meth in those little Halloween decorated wrappers.

cwbyfn88

Reaction score

Those were the days. I don't celebrate Halloween. But I remember kids being able to go out without parents. The older I got the worse society got. One year they wanted to ban trick or treating in my area out of fear for safety

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Lobbing 'liberated' jack-o- lanterns at cars as they went by,,,yeppers,,, it was the best of times,it was the worst of timeso_O

nobody

Reaction score
Those were the days. I don't celebrate Halloween. But I remember kids being able to go out without parents. The older I got the worse society got. One year they wanted to ban trick or treating in my area out of fear for safety

I honestly think some of it has to do with the population rising so fast and people not spreading out. They stay confined in the same areas and that stresses a ton of people out to the point that they snap. They have done studies on stress levels in cities compared to less populated areas. Of course, with increased population, you have increased incidence of messed up people doing messed up things. Scaremongering by the press doesn't help either. But the safety backlashes have always exceeded what they are reacting to.