Recap: Hanging With Boys: Nate Newton Addresses Ref Cheating In Philly. Leupke More Playing Time. SF/PH Matchup

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
People probably forget that Nate was on his way to being a key figure on national football broadcasts until he made some bad decisions. From his playing days to now, Nate is one of those characters. I don't know if it was because Jesse Holly was out of the podcast today, but Nate had some great stuff on Friday's Hanging With the Boys podcast. Good story from Shannon too about hanging with a Philly fan. LOL

Regarding the Refs in Philly Situation
  • Coaches today will scout future refs and how they call the games. But don't as fans ever believe the media when they say the ref will decide the game. The PLAYER will decide the game. Forget the percentages and W-L, don't call them by name. It's a fight, don't let it go to the judges.
  • When refs told me to move back for a fight, I was "yes sir." My game was hands like Tyler Smith. If I got my hands on you it was a lock. I wanted to get along with the refs because I knew I would be good for at least one offsides a game.
  • The refs do stop calling on the great players. Great players have to play greater. You don't think I didn't have to hold LT? I don't want to knock our young studs, but get a little better. I used to laugh at Randy White for his karate chops, but now I see how those guys have to adapt it. Offensive linemen are not getting better, only worse. No one teaches these young fat guys at Pop Warner. Parents tell them to eat donuts and hold players.
Fans want to know why team won't use Luepke our FB on short yardage situations. Why not even trying?
  • Has Hunter Luepke gone to McCarthy or Schottenheimer and told them, "Trust me, I can block that LB." If you want more playing time, McCarthy has NEVER had a problem using a FB. Just because you 240 lbs doesn't make you physical. Special teams plays? Hammering through people? Running through wedges? I know they don't allow it now, but you have to show physicality and let coaches know you can do it. They WILL give you the shot.
  • Fans need to social media Luepke and tell him to go to the Coaches. I'm serious. I remember a meeting we had with the Coaches, Larry Allen and Eric Williams playing on right side, they were beasts. I noticed play sheet had 4 load rights, and 1 load left. C'mon now! Even though I knew they were off the chart as athletes I told Norv to hold on in front of the entire team. We've been load left for 15 games, are me and Tuey not getting the job done? Until we fail, we deserve the shot. If you challenge the coach, he will challenge you. Luepke needs to go to the Coaches and tell them what the fans feel.
  • I remember one year Emmitt went to Norv and had to tell him he could catch the ball. All offseason he practiced catching. That next year he caught a lot more balls.
  • CeeDee Lamb. Yesterday on Coach McCarthy's show he said what impressed him the most as coaches, was that CeeDee moaned about not getting the ball but the next week they couldn't give him a formation he didn't know the assignment. When you know your capabilities and feel you can do something, challenge your coach! Don't call him out in front of players, but talk to him and let him know. Give me my options. Luepke has earned enough that he can sit down with the Coaches and tell them how he can help them.
Is this Philly game about offense or defense?
  • It's who makes less mistakes at QB. Hurts been turning the ball over. Not moving around well. Dak IS moving around well, and accurate. Dak is playing better. I think Philly will try to run more for this game because they've gotten away from it. They think they can throw on us just like we know we can throw 100% on them. They will have to load their backend and rush 4 because Philly cannot stay with our guys. Lamb, Cooks, Fergy. They know this.
  • Hassan can't do it by himself. But get more pressure on Dak from interior DLine then Reddick can get the jump. Dak has to be aware early. Don't give up a cheap sack or throw yourself into a bad play early. Don't give them ANY life to breath.
  • Our defense has been in a lull last 3-4 games. Numbers don't impress me. Eyes impress me. Dak throws for 371 yards but we lost? Like Seattle. They made plays 4th quarter. And that's what Philadelphia has done this whole season. Who will make plays in 4th quarter? I challenge Parsons, D-Law and Bland in 4th quarter. Play big. Make the play. I challenge the defense in situational football to take game over when game is at its pivotal W-L point.
  • Cowboys can do the SF gameplan and containment. They have speed. Parsons will freelance but in this game he shouldn't. Stay in your spots and come as a wave. Don't let him run and keep him in front of you, and jump up to block passes. He is healthy enough to make it happen when he scurries.
San Francisco
  • They are supremely confident and don't do it with much schemes. Just 4 guys on the defensive line. That's what hurts Dak and Jalen. That's why Bosa is cocky and talking about next opponent who plays Eagles.
  • Philly's secondary is no good. Their front seven are though. So can Dak and the Offensive Line hold up? Everyone talking about Kittle bumping Haason Reddick. Do we want to copy that? Yes. But remember, their right tackle is a lot healthier than ours. And they have a hell of a left tackle. So against San Fran, we will truly see how good our offensive line is.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
People probably forget that Nate was on his way to being a key figure on national football broadcasts until he made some bad decisions. From his playing days to now, Nate is one of those characters. I don't know if it was because Jesse Holly was out of the podcast today, but Nate had some great stuff on Friday's Hanging With the Boys podcast. Good story from Shannon too about hanging with a Philly fan. LOL

• Coaches today will scout future refs and how they call the games. But don't as fans ever believe the media when they say the ref will decide the game. The PLAYER will decide the game. Forget the percentages and W-L, don't call them by name. It's a fight, don't let it go to the judges.
  • When refs told me to move back for a fight, I was "yes sir." My game was hands like Tyler Smith. If I got my hands on you it was a lock. I wanted to get along with the refs because I knew I would be good for at least one offsides a game.
  • The refs do stop calling on the great players. Great players have to play greater. You don't think I didn't have to hold LT? I don't want to knock our young studs, but get a little better. I used to laugh at Randy White for his karate chops, but now I see how those guys have to adapt it. Offensive linemen are not getting better, only worse. No one teaches these young fat guys at Pop Warner. Parents tell them to eat donuts and hold players.
Fans want to know why team won't use Luepke our FB on short yardage situations. Why not even trying?
  • Has Hunter Luepke gone to McCarthy or Schottenheimer and told them, "Trust me, I can block that LB." If you want more playing time, McCarthy has NEVER had a problem using a FB. Just because you 240 lbs doesn't make you physical. Special teams plays? Hammering through people? Running through wedges? I know they don't allow it now, but you have to show physicality and let coaches know you can do it. They WILL give you the shot.
  • Fans need to social media Luepke and tell him to go to the Coaches. I'm serious. I remember a meeting we had with the Coaches, Larry Allen and Eric Williams playing on right side, they were beasts. I noticed play sheet had 4 load rights, and 1 load left. C'mon now! Even though I knew they were off the chart as athletes I told Norv to hold on in front of the entire team. We've been load left for 15 games, are me and Tuey not getting the job done? Until we fail, we deserve the shot. If you challenge the coach, he will challenge you. Luepke needs to go to the Coaches and tell them what the fans feel.
  • I remember one year Emmitt went to Norv and had to tell him he could catch the ball. All offseason he practiced catching. That next year he caught a lot more balls.
  • CeeDee Lamb. Yesterday on Coach McCarthy's show he said what impressed him the most as coaches, was that CeeDee moaned about not getting the ball but the next week they couldn't give him a formation he didn't know the assignment. When you know your capabilities and feel you can do something, challenge your coach! Don't call him out in front of players, but talk to him and let him know. Give me my options. Luepke has earned enough that he can sit down with the Coaches and tell them how he can help them.
  • It's who makes less mistakes at QB. Hurts been turning the ball over. Not moving around well. Dak IS moving around well, and accurate. Dak is playing better. I think Philly will try to run more for this game because they've gotten away from it. They think they can throw on us just like we know we can throw 100% on them. They will have to load their backend and rush 4 because Philly cannot stay with our guys. Lamb, Cooks, Fergy. They know this.
  • Hassan can't do it by himself. But get more pressure on Dak from interior DLine then Reddick can get the jump. Dak has to be aware early. Don't give up a cheap sack or throw yourself into a bad play early. Don't give them ANY life to breath.
  • Our defense has been in a lull last 3-4 games. Numbers don't impress me. Eyes impress me. Dak throws for 371 yards but we lost? Like Seattle. They made plays 4th quarter. And that's what Philadelphia has done this whole season. Who will make plays in 4th quarter? I challenge Parsons, D-Law and Bland in 4th quarter. Play big. Make the play. I challenge the defense in situational football to take game over when game is at its pivotal W-L point.
  • Cowboys can do the SF gameplan and containment. They have speed. Parsons will freelance but in this game he shouldn't. Stay in your spots and come as a wave. Don't let him run and keep him in front of you, and jump up to block passes. He is healthy enough to make it happen when he scurries.
San Francisco
  • They are supremely confident and don't do it with much schemes. Just 4 guys on the defensive line. That's what hurts Dak and Jalen. That's why Bosa is cocky and talking about next opponent who plays Eagles.
  • Philly's secondary is no good. Their front seven are though. So can Dak and the Offensive Line hold up? Everyone talking about Kittle bumping Haason Reddick. Do we want to copy that? Yes. But remember, their right tackle is a lot healthier than ours. And they have a hell of a left tackle. So against San Fran, we will truly see how good our offensive line is.

Thanks for recapping, Vaquero.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

San Francisco

Good stuff by Nate here. No ref whining and he said what I say about Luepke. Being a FB doesn't automatically make you a physical runner, and I don't think he is at this point.

Kalyan

Reaction score
Larry Allen and Eric Williams playing on right side, they were beasts. I noticed play sheet had 4 load rights, and 1 load left. C'mon now! Even though I knew they were off the chart as athletes I told Norv to hold on in front of the entire team. We've been load left for 15 games, are me and Tuey not getting the job done?

— That was some OL

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Larry Allen and Eric Williams playing on right side, they were beasts. I noticed play sheet had 4 load rights, and 1 load left. C'mon now! Even though I knew they were off the chart as athletes I told Norv to hold on in front of the entire team. We've been load left for 15 games, are me and Tuey not getting the job done?

— That was some OL
That's what I was thinking.

When the media talks about the 90s, it's always, and deservedly so, about the triplets, Deion, Jimmy, Moose, Novaceck, etc.,but the real key was that Oline - just amazing.
And that Dline - Haley, Tolbert, Maryland, Lett, etc.
It all starts in the trenches!!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking.

When the media talks about the 90s, it's always, and deservedly so, about the triplets, Deion, Jimmy, Moose, Novaceck, etc.,but the real key was that Oline - just amazing.
And that Dline - Haley, Tolbert, Maryland, Lett, etc.
It all starts in the trenches!!
The one good thing from the Garrett Days. He was no fool, he knew what drove that offense. I’m sure he was a big reason for Cowboys getting Tyron, TFred, Zack and more.

sbark

Reaction score
Good stuff by Nate here. No ref whining and he said what I say about Luepke. Being a FB doesn't automatically make you a physical runner, and I don't think he is at this point.
Luepke lived in the A-gap....but, as shown in his TD run vrs Pats, can plant and go lateral to a hole better than most, especially @240.

Do we need a 1st down or a td....or just wanna see a battering ram every touch.

Give me a diesel john riggins running in the secondary....db makeing " business decisions".

zack

Reaction score
How can you say this if he hasn’t been given the chance?

kskboys

Reaction score
Lupper looked very physical to me on his, what, 3 carries? Took the ball and went forward. Looked like a battering ram. No, it is not a big enough sample size to conclude much of anything. So, make it so.

Cowboys4lifeGR

Reaction score

San Francisco

Thanks for the recap my friend. Enjoyed your post. Cheers to U and our Cowboys from beautiful Greece.
LETs TAKE THEESE STINKING Philly WEEZELS DOWN!!!!

JPM

Reaction score
Was Norv Turner still with Dallas when Larry Allen was with the team ?

Jumbo075

Reaction score

— That was some OL
Why aren’t more players from that Oline in the Hall of Fame?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
How can you say this if he hasn’t been given the chance?
I've seen how he runs and in those short yardage situations with everyone in close, it's not going to be effective. Honestly, I think he'd get flattened by a DB.

zack

Reaction score
I've seen how he runs and in those short yardage situations with everyone in close, it's not going to be effective. Honestly, I think he'd get flattened by a DB.
I’ll be the judge when he gets a chance. That’s not what happened to him his whole career in college.