Hansen unplugged: Cowboys' blame game doesn't work

TheHerd

Reaction score
Pretty good story. I'll probably agree in a week after the shock has worn off.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dale Hansen? I can't imagine he'd have anything insightful to add, so I won't click.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yes, Hansen is right every once in a while. :)

In fact, he and Galloway are old buddies, and today they got seriously angry at each other because Dale wouldn't call Wade a clueless fool who was to blame for the loss.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;1908102 said:
Dale Hansen? I can't imagine he'd have anything insightful to add, so I won't click.

Actually he is pretty much spot on. He is basically preaching patience.

I cant stand hansen, I see him as the worst sports guy in the area, but he is right on this one.

Patience is something that is totally gone in society especially in sports. That is what it will take from all of us though, patience.

oh and 5 million mock drafts.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
I'm not a Hansen fan, but he does get it right every once in a while. This is one of those times.

Makes me feel better about the Dallas media. I've purposely avoided any of the local papers or radio stations after the game - already know what they're going to say before I hear it/read it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
theebs;1908113 said:
Actually he is pretty much spot on. He is basically preaching patience.

I cant stand hansen, I see him as the worst sports guy in the area, but he is right on this one.

Patience is something that is totally gone in society especially in sports. That is what it will take from all of us though, patience.

oh and 5 million mock drafts.

Careful as you climb down from that high moral ground.

In the real world, actually, patience is something that football fans don't have a lot of.
Ask any owner or marketing director of any franchise.
They eventually stop buying the beer and parking and jerseys.

So while it is all good and well to preach patience, you or Dale, keep in mind that "patience" is subjective. One more year? Five?

And I believe the fans have been patient since, what, 1996?
Me lad, that time has expired.
We got the players. Many, many in the Pro Bowl. So what gives?

Methinks it is time for Jerra to get some help. Wade and his defensive coordinator come to mind.
Patience is so late 1990s.
:)

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
This team has been good enough to win a playoff game in the last five years and yet they have not.

I think using patience as an excuse at this point is a few years too late.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Not choking in the first round of the playoffs is nice and all, but Hanson has never lost sight of what's really important ... Wade lets him shoot footage of training camp practice for his Channel 8 segments. When Wade did that, he had Dale at hello.

I suspect the doom and gloom will subside once Wade drops the 'Elite Eight" banner from the rafters of Texas Stadium.

cowboyed

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1908342 said:
Not choking in the first round of the playoffs is nice and all, but Hanson has never lost sight of what's really important ... Wade lets him shoot footage of training camp practice for his Channel 8 segments. When Wade did that, he had Dale at hello.

I suspect the doom and gloom will subside once Wade drops the 'Elite Eight" banner from the rafters of Texas Stadium.

InmanRoshi, that is very insightful. Appreciate that bit of information.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1908326 said:
Careful as you climb down from that high moral ground.

In the real world, actually, patience is something that football fans don't have a lot of.
Ask any owner or marketing director of any franchise.
They eventually stop buying the beer and parking and jerseys.

So while it is all good and well to preach patience, you or Dale, keep in mind that "patience" is subjective. One more year? Five?

And I believe the fans have been patient since, what, 1996?
Me lad, that time has expired.
We got the players. Many, many in the Pro Bowl. So what gives?

Methinks it is time for Jerra to get some help. Wade and his defensive coordinator come to mind.
Patience is so late 1990s.
:)

TOP 10 SELLING NFL TEAMS MERCHANDISE
1. Dallas Cowboys
2. New England Patriots
3. Pittsburgh Steelers
4. Chicago Bears
5. Green Bay Packers
6. Indianapolis Colts
7. Washington Commanders
8. New York Giants
9. Philadelphia Eagles
10. San Diego Chargers

TOP 25 SELLING NFL PLAYER JERSEYS
1. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
2. Tom Brady, New England Patriots
3. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
4. Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers
5. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers
6. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings
7. Brian Urlacher, Chicago Bears
8. Randy Moss, New England Patriots
9. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers
10. Reggie Bush, New Orleans Saints
11. Devin Hester, Chicago Bears
12. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
13. Terrell Owens, Dallas Cowboys
14. Brady Quinn, Cleveland Browns
15. Marion Barber, Dallas Cowboys
16. Sean Taylor, Washington Commanders
17. Eli Manning, New York Giants
18. Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia Eagles
19. Vince Young, Tennessee Titans
20. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys
21. Chad Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals
22. Hines Ward, Pittsburgh Steelers
23. Champ Bailey, Denver Broncos
24. DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys
25. Bob Sanders, Indianapolis Colts

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1908342 said:

well yeah there is that too, all he did was complain about parcells because he wouldnt sit down with him and do an interview. Oh well.

But I do think all we have right now is to be patient and hope they come out of this draft in good shape.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
As a man who deals with flaws on a daily basis. One thing I've learned, is you must FIX the flaw. Putting tape on it, or waiting around will not make it go away.

The Cowboys problem this season was discipline. Either enforce discipline, or get someone that will. Wade has been in this league for a long time and his believe is that it's the players job to ensure discipline. For the most part he is right, but the problem is the players do not always do what is right. Sometimes you have to force them too.

Patrick Crayton this year versus last year. Can anyone point out the differences?

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
I didn't bother to listen to the link, but from the posts I'm assuming the general theme is having patience for everything to come together.

Really, that's the only choice.

The alternatives being jump to another team that you feel is on the move, or whine, moan and cry yourself to sleep every night over something that is out of your control.

Maybe just me, but any of the alternatives sound pretty pathetic.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
nyc;1908686 said:
As a man who deals with flaws on a daily basis. One thing I've learned, is you must FIX the flaw. Putting tape on it, or waiting around will not make it go away.

The Cowboys problem this season was discipline. Either enforce discipline, or get someone that will. Wade has been in this league for a long time and his believe is that it's the players job to ensure discipline. For the most part he is right, but the problem is the players do not always do what is right. Sometimes you have to force them too.

Patrick Crayton this year versus last year. Can anyone point out the differences?

we had discpline out the arse last year didn't we?

balance is what we need. one one extreme *or* the other.

as for crayton, biggest difference i see is he spent too much time studying freddie mitchell.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
All we have is patience. It's not like there's any real alternative. But everyone acts like being peed off and negative is such a bad thing, but I think that's exactly what the Cowboys need. They need to head into this offseason with a chip on their shoulder and a peed off attitude. They need to go into next year angry.

You know, it's funny, the Patriots are loaded with players wearing three Superbowl Rings and are undefeated. You would think they would be the prime example of a team that could get complacent or have a sense of entitlement. Instead, they go into every week like they just got embarrassed the game before, they're angry and now they're going to take it out on you. They imagine things to get angry about. We get embarasssed by the Eagles and Commanders, and nobody seems to care. I don't care what the standings are, getting thrashed by the Commanders and Eagles will never be not a big deal. The Patriots are the team of the decade and Belichick has somehow convinced is team that they're Rocky and the other team is Apollo Creed. We haven't won anything in over a decade, and Jerry is passing out NFC Championship tickets before the game has started. The Patriots iterate how 16-0 is nice, but it's absolutely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Wade keeps iterating that losing in the playoffs is disappointing, but 13-3 is what matters in the grand scheme of things. I don't know we're going to get any anger or chip on their shoulder from this organization, and that's what bothers me. Jerry is the eternal optimist. Wade wants to hand the team a Preseason Trophy to the team if they go 3-1 in their exhibition games. Tony is the charismatic wiseguy who always has a smile on his face. Who's going to stand up and say that playoff performance is gutless and unacceptable?

Wade catching heat from Dallas and the media is his reprimand for failure, and he's just going to have to live with it because the upside is he's going to keep his job. Wade said that coaching the Cowboys was his dream job ... Welcome to Paradise, Wade !! It's not all flying on private Lear Jets and shooting Pepsi Commercials, is it? If you wanted to coach a team with low expectations, don't take a job where the team went to the playoffs the year before and is stacked with talent. Go to a 1-15 team, devoid of talent and you'll get patience for a good 3-4 years.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;1908736 said:
I am the answer. I would be just right. I am Baby Bear's poridge and bed.

Get Jerry on the phone.

Bah, you're Wade Phillips!