Happy 88th Birthday to Cowboys Hall of Famer Chuck Howley

pitt33

Reaction score
One of my favs.

Talk about an athlete…from his 1971 TOPPS football card…

The veteran of the Cowboys' defensive unit, Chuck often exhibits tremendous speed. He returned a fumble 97-yards for a touchdown against the Falcons,
10-2-66, and has caught Leroy Kelly from behind. Chuck was a five-sport letterman at West Virginia, where as a junior in 1956 he excelled in football, track, swimming, gymnastics and wrestling. He was a 10.1 sprinter in track and the one-meter Southern Conference diving champ.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Happy birthday Chuck. It is a crime the Hall of Fame made you wait that long.
He just had to outlive most of the Hall voters from the 1970s who mostly hated the Cowboys, and suppressed Cowboys players from the honors they earned and deserved such as HoF. Howley wasn't the only one snubbed from the HoF because of the sticker on their helmet.

rambo2

Reaction score
The Cowboy great celebrated his 88th birthday on June 28th. They don't make 'em like this anymore, he was rare.
How did he celebrate? I thought that he has CTE and has been in bad shape.

Motorola

Reaction score
He just had to outlive most of the Hall voters from the 1970s who mostly hated the Cowboys, and suppressed Cowboys players from the honors they earned and deserved such as HoF. Howley wasn't the only one snubbed from the HoF because of the sticker on their helmet.
Cornell Green.
For a player WHO NEVER PLAYED A DOWN IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL-His accompihments playing for the Cowboys in the NFL are worthy HOF.
But be is not in the Ring Of Honor.
Look up his Cowboys career.
It's flat out wrong Green has not been selected.

Motorola

Reaction score
How did he celebrate? I thought that he has CTE and has been in bad shape.
Other than his teammate Roger Staubach going to his home and delivering the news..Howley did not make the trip to Canton to participate in the ceromonies during that week, and behonored in person. His family was there, and his son made the acceptance speech.

Motorola

Reaction score
There a few other NFL Greats besides Howley that got snubbed for too long.
Kenny Stabler - overlooked for a quarter-century after he became eligible; but when he passed away during the the summer of 2015, six months later the HOF committee voted to enshrine him a year after his death.

MS17

Reaction score
Absolutely. Bob Lilly once said that "There wouldn't have been a Doomsday defense without Chuck."
We need to let that sink in a little when looking at #54 to understand the story of the Cowboys in NFL circles.

12+88=7

Reaction score
I follow Dallas because I wrote a book report on Staubach. But once I started watching the games Chuck Howley was the first player I loved.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It would’ve been an even bigger crime had they not put him in at all or waited until he passed away.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's the exact response I get from fans when I wear the #54.

As a fan of a team or a sport you should know it's history.
Most old timers would probably think Randy White when they see a Cowboys #54. This is certainly no knock on Chuck Howley but the Manster was one of the all-time greats.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
That's the exact response I get from fans when I wear the #54.

As a fan of a team or a sport you should know it's history.
You think these new school players care about the history of this team????? I'm 40 I know who he is I was just being silly, but in all honesty, these kids now days don't care about history, they want money and a kardashian