Happy Birthday Edward Van Halen aka The GOAT

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
The only guitar player to have won a Guitar Player of the Year award, a #1 album, #1 song and 2 Diamond Certified albums to his credits. Those who know him KNOW he was a nice guy outside of the band he played in.

Here's a cover we did after he passed. One of my all time favorite songs by Van Halen. It's an obscure Van Halen song so most never heard of it, but it has some killer 3 part vocal harmonies. Jason McMaster (Dangerous Toys) did the best he could trying to recreate them. It was fun doing this with my son who's also a huge Diamond Dave era VH fan. RIP Edward.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only guitar player to have won a Guitar Player of the Year award, a #1 album, #1 song and 2 Diamond Certified albums to his credits. Those who know him KNOW he was a nice guy outside of the band he played in.

Here's a cover we did after he passed. One of my all time favorite songs by Van Halen. It's an obscure Van Halen song so most never heard of it, but it has some killer 3 part vocal harmonies. Jason McMaster (Dangerous Toys) did the best he could trying to recreate them. It was fun doing this with my son who's also a huge Diamond Dave era VH fan. RIP Edward.

I was a big Van Halen fan but come on mayne, saying Eddie is the Goat is equal to saying Aikman was the GOAT.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I was a big Van Halen fan but come on mayne, saying Eddie is the Goat is equal to saying Aikman was the GOAT. Tons of great players out there
There are tons of great players out there, some of which from a technical standpoint could play Edward under the table. That being said no one changed the face of rock guitar like Ed, asides from maybe hendrix

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

That was a pretty good job, probably one of my favorite tunes from WACF, i presume you are playing bass? I remember Dangerous Toys, they were out of the Dallas area. I think.. Also FYI the Dairy of a Madman cover was very good. Got to see Randy about a month before the accident. Put him right up there among my favorites, his work on Blizzard and DOAM was stellar.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are tons of great players out there, some of which from a technical standpoint could play Edward under the table. That being said no one changed the face of rock guitar like Ed, asides from maybe hendrix
"maybe hendrix"

Come on Mayne. It's debatable if Eddie us even in the top 10...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Eddie even in the top 10? Easily
Many Cowboys fans believe that Staubach is the GOAT.

I'm not debating my personal opinion. You can find "greatest" lists without Eddie in the top 10 but you'll never find a legit list without Hendrix in the top 3 and almost all lists will have Hendrix at #1.

My guess is that you're a big fan of heavy metal. Eddie was in a bridge area between classic rock and heavy metal.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

I'm not debating my personal opinion. You can find "greatest" lists without Eddie in the top 10 but you'll never find a legit list without Hendrix in the top 3 and almost all lists will have Hendrix at #1.

My guess is that you're a big fan of heavy metal. Eddie was in a bridge area between classic rock and heavy metal.

Nowhere did i say he was the greatest ever, he and Hendrix were the most influential guitarists of the last 55 years easily. I just googled top 10 guitarists and the 4-5 lists i did see all had Edward in the top 10. Like i mentioned earlier i know lotsa players that from a purely technical standpoint were just as good or better, this includes some rock players as well as country, jazz, progressive rock. etc. Those first 6 VH Albums had some amazing and revolutionary playing.

Hardline

Reaction score

Eddie Van Halen never played heavy metal. Eddie is a legend. If he's not in your top 10 then you don't understand guitar playing. He literally invented new ways to play it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eddie Van Halen never played heavy metal. Eddie is a legend. If he's not in your top 10 then you don't understand guitar playing. He literally invented new ways to play it.
I know about everything than you will ever know. Take your clueless trash opinions elsewhere.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
False bravado.
If you had any shred of self awareness, you would know from being on CZ that I'm infinitely far above your IQ level.

I'm the equivalent of Tom Brady to your Quincy Carter.