Video: Happy Birthday Michael (Playmaker) Irvin

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I know the guy has/had demons but one of my favorite players of all time. He was a warrior. 100 pct about winning. As a fan you knew Irvin cared. Love the guy.

I agree. I love the story he told about how before Jimmy got to town guys were just going through the motions and just looking at the next paycheck and it pissed Mike off. So he complied a list of guys who were not focused on winning and handed it to Johnson and said these guys have got to go.

Motorola

Reaction score
Ironically the two most controversial players in Dallas Cowboys history have birthdays so close (four days apart). One played during the iconic heydays of the 1970s; the other was a prominent contributor & leader on that dominating force in the 1990s.
Recalled first seeing Irvin wearing No. 47 with the 'Canes in the midst of their dynasty ---followed up by the Cowboys selecting him No. 11 overall in the '88 draft(!)
Top 10 all-time notorious pro athlete partier that was able to still practice, then play and perform at an elite level.
Just watched that video when The Playmaker went down on his last play in the league. Viewing that clip - the reactions from his teammates, the Eagles, most of their fans, and Summerall and Madden --although it was the end of his career....it showed how revered Michael was regarded around the NFL.
HAPPY 55TH

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I agree. I love the story he told about how before Jimmy got to town guys were just going through the motions and just looking at the next paycheck and it pissed Mike off. So he complied a list of guys who were not focused on winning and handed it to Johnson and said these guys have got to go.
he would have a long list with today's roster

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Thing that was amazing with Irvin was the passion was not just some game day show. When Cowboys where holding camp at St. Edwards in Austin I was attending camp each year they were there. One of the practice I attended it was hot as hell triple digit day and it was towards the end of practice and you could see the guys were wearing down but then here comes Mike running around hollering "This is it, this is the 4th qrt come lets go" Mike knew as many greats know it is takes work and dedication to be a champion, you don't just show up and put the effort in on game day you put the effort in every time you hit the field be it practice or game

Majic

Reaction score
One of my favourites as well. When he was a kid living with his brothers he used to get up early to eat the only box of Corn Flakes in the house so as not to go hungry. Only trouble was there would be nothing for his older brothers who would then be very angry

cowboyec

Reaction score
for my money...greatest receiver of my lifetime.
greatest receiver i ever saw in college.
greatest receiver i ever saw in the league.
hustle.
heart.
mental and physical toughness.
techinical master at route running.
great hands.
helluva blocker.
if he couldn't beat you with his physical skills...he would just simply out work you.
it was an absolute joy to watch this man...Coach Landry's last 1st Rd pick...go from rookie to 3x super bowl champ and the best of his era.
there will ever only be 1 Bob Hayes.
there will ever only be 1 Drew Pearson.
and you damn well better believe there will ever only be 1 Michael Irvin.
:flagwave:HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE:flagwave:
:thumbup:WE LOVE YOU:thumbup:
:bow:THANK YOU...FOR EVERYTHING:bow:

Motorola

Reaction score
[/QUOTE
'WoodysGirl' - thank you very much for that pic.
88 & 22 - they were brothers... linked by growing up in the Sunshine State - accomplished HS legends in the two farthest separated counties - Dade and Escambia; and then playing in college against each other in a premier state rivalry (records indicate two times).

InTheZone

Reaction score
Definitely one of the better individuals on sports tv today, need more like him.