Happy Birthday Tony Dorsett!

Motorola

Reaction score
I guess it's a good thing the GIF cuts off right before Darrell Green drags him down. (Should have posted the 99 yard run against the Vikings instead.)
'Outlaw Heroes' - to me, that play shows NFL competition at its ultimate finest.
1983__NFL All-Pro RB still in his prime -- and was selected as NFL All-Pro 2nd team at the end of his 7th season.
Yet in that first game, Dorsett was streaking to a long-run TD, except a rookie CB playing in his first NFL game ran from the opposite side of the field to make the tackle to prevent the score.

Both players were honored to be HOFs in both college and profeesional football ...and legends for the famed NFL frachises they played for.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
'Outlaw Heroes' - to me, that play shows NFL competition at its ultimate finest.
1983__NFL All-Pro RB still in his prime -- and was selected as NFL All-Pro 2nd team at the end of his 7th season.
Yet in that first game, Dorsett was streaking to a long-run TD, except a rookie CB playing in his first NFL game ran from the opposite side of the field to make the tackle to prevent the score.

Both players were honored to be HOFs in both college and profeesional football ...and legends for the famed NFL frachises they played for.
It was shocking to see TD get caught from behind. Green did the same thing to Dickerson. Dude’s jets were next level.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was shocking to see TD get caught from behind. Green did the same thing to Dickerson. Dude’s jets were next level.
He almost ran down Ron Brown who was an Olympic sprinter. However, he made up a lot of ground and got his hands on him. Darrell Green was probably the fastest player ever in pads. The second link is him chasing down Eric Dickerson who reportedly ran a 4.28 40.

Last edited:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He almost ran down Ron Brown who was an Olympic sprinter. However, he made up a lot of ground and got his hands on him. Darrell Green was probably the fastest player ever in pads. The second link is him chasing down Eric Dickerson who reportedly ran a 4.28 40.

No disrespect to Green, but he wasn't as fast as Bob Hayes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No disrespect to Green, but he wasn't as fast as Bob Hayes.
He definitely wasn’t as fast on a track but in pads on a football field I’m not so sure. That’s something we’ll never know.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Emmitt and Tony D my 2 favorites of all time.
Though I lean toward Emmitt more than Tony. Probably because of more media coverage.
Plus I lived in South Florida at the time. And seeing his career from High School, though 12 hours away from where I lived, then as he played college at UF and wanting them to draft him. Had something to do with that.
I lean more towards Emmitt because I'm not old enough to remember Tony at his best. I watched Emmitt's whole career.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I just learned another little-known, but impressive TD accomplishment. He's one of only 3 running backs to ever rush for 6,000 yards in college and 6,000 at the pro level. The other 2 are Ricky Williams and DeAngelo Williams.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I lean more towards Emmitt because I'm not old enough to remember Tony at his best. I watched Emmitt's whole career.
I remember watching Tony, but in Ohio, we seen maybe 8 to 10 games a year. Plus playoffs of course.
However, I seen just about every game of Emmitt's. Now living in South Florida, there were maybe the same, 6 to 10 games a year, sometimes 12.

However the games that were not televised in my area, I had family members that recorded the games and sent them to me. Until I got Sunday Ticket in 97. Moved to DFW area in 98, but still kept NFL ST since I traveled for my work at times.

So yeah, I lean more to Emmitt from what I posted as well seeing more games.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I also met Tony's ex at a Sears store at the Palm Beach Gardens Mall.
She was pretty cool. It was whenever their son was in college, and about to be drafted into the NFL, or a year before. 1995 to 1996 time frame, can't remember for sure.

offlimits

Reaction score
Happy 69th birthday to Tony Dorsett......the most explosive running back in Cowboys history!!
Gosh... I am old. I remember the day that the Cowboys moved up to draft him. 1977. The NFL draft was an afterthought back then. Not the big televised production that it is today. I got off the school bus and my told me the Cowboys had drafted him. She heard it on local radio.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
(Should have posted the 99 yard run against the Vikings instead.)
Next time I get ready to post, I'll PM you first and make sure it passes the grade.

How I have over 88,00 posts without your advice is beyond explanation.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
As a kid from the Bay in California I fell in love with the Cowboys because of #33 Tony Dorsett. I can still see him running from the I-formation slicing and dicing through defenses. Happy Birthday Tony D., you will forever be my fav RB.:star: