THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tenor.gif

Creeper

Reaction score
Legalized theft.
I think it seems that way because the tax code is so complicated few people understand it. I am not against paying taxes but I would like to be able to understand what I owe and why.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I think it seems that way because the tax code is so complicated few people understand it. I am not against paying taxes but I would like to be able to understand what I owe and why.
thousands of pages; and then there are the interpretations from the IRS and the Tax Courts. Even Tax lawyers get caught out now and then.
Kind of karma that a nation born due to the resistance to taxes now has by far the most complicated tax system ever known

Creeper

Reaction score
Just purchase one of the tax software packages.
I use H&R Block. I have been using it for years. That makes it easier to fill out the forms but in a way it masks the complexity and understanding of the laws from the taxpayer.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I use H&R Block. I have been using it for years. That makes it easier to fill out the forms but in a way it masks the complexity and understanding of the laws from the taxpayer.
Same. Using it for years.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
This is where I'm at. I don't mind paying for things so long as I know what they are going for. Oddly, for the last 2-3 years we've gotten refund checks in the mail around August/September because the estimated tax revenue was higher than expect. Mine was like $680 last year.

Like, what? How about you estimate better? Or, maybe fix the potholes lining the nearest main street that have been there for months. I get that snow and ice tears stuff up and we've had a pretty cold winter (and even spring until now) but lets get to work on this stuff.

Instead, they're paying for tree trimming along the roadways and after dropping $400 on pruning two trees last year, some random comes up and butchers the same trees before driving to the next house on my street.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Just purchase one of the tax software packages.
They're getting awfully pricey and every single one tries to upsell you on additional features. I hate them. Federal (think it does) and State should have it's own sites to file for free. I know, it'll ruin the entire racket but that's how it should be.

If you go for the highest tier (I don't), you can probably get a CPA to just handle everything for you. I think that's what I'm going to do next year and maybe even see if they can amend some previous years because I have no idea what I'm doing or what I am missing.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CPA for me, just hand them all the business and personal stuff and let em work :thumbup:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've been retired about 6 years and, prior to retiring, I spent most of my career outside the US.

Because of stocks granted as compensation while I worked and only just sold in 2022, I had the great pleasure of filing federal US, Australian, Canadian, Montana and California returns this year.

I'm a reasonably intelligent person, but could no more explain these returns than I can explain the intricacies of brain surgery. Luckily (i think), I had KPMG prepare the returns.

Creeper

Reaction score
Lol, we owe again……
Us too. Every year. I suppose I can have more money taken out of my income but even when I do we still pay! I dream of a day when the IRS contacts me and says I overpaid for the past 40 years and hands me a check for $1 million. But then they would probably hand me a bill for $500,000.