Hardens to the 76ers for Ben

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Haven't followed the NBA as much but what the hell happened with Harden playing with Durant and Irving ????

sunalsorises

Reaction score
What an awful trade for Philly. Simmons is a brat, though, so good riddance to him. It will be quite the spectacle if he ever plays in Philly (as a visitor) again.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Another attempt to re-kindle the Durant/Harden/Westbrook OKC magic down the drain. Honestly think it’s a good move for both teams. Philly’s draft picks weren’t high, Drummond is washed up, and Simmons wasn’t going to do anything for them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
hate this trade from the outside as I think it makes two EC teams far better.
Harden on a good Philly team is a major boost.
BRK getting a really good player to play off KD and Kyrie.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
hate this trade from the outside as I think it makes two EC teams far better.
Harden on a good Philly team is a major boost.
BRK getting a really good player to play off KD and Kyrie.
I think it puts the 76ers in the pole position right now. Giving up Curry hurts though.

Where it hurts the Nets, is Simmons is a guy his team has to overcome in the playoffs. A Durant/Kyrie 1/2 could be good enough to overcome Simmons late game liabilities. But I think Brooklyn just got even more questionable than they were. I think one of the best parts of the deal for Brooklyn was getting two FRP's even though one with be late first and the other wont convey until 2027 (?). That Harden was looking like it could be significantly worse than the KG/Pierce trade

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think it puts the 76ers in the pole position right now. Giving up Curry hurts though.

Where it hurts the Nets, is Simmons is a guy his team has to overcome in the playoffs. A Durant/Kyrie 1/2 could be good enough to overcome Simmons late game liabilities. But I think Brooklyn just got even more questionable than they were. I think one of the best parts of the deal for Brooklyn was getting two FRP's even though one with be late first and the other wont convey until 2027 (?). That Harden was looking like it could be significantly worse than the KG/Pierce trade
Both teams get better today as the Sixers weren't getting anything from Simmons at all.
Harden is a shell of his max self but he is still a nice boost. All that said his money is quite large and for quite a long time IF he is extended as expected.
So you might have to live with some drop off and contract regret longer term if you are Philly.

Curry is an elite shooter and great guy but he is legit awful on defense. And I mean on the team not just personally because he is a small, not strong or quick 2G.
His father in law's team, trading him is rough tho.
When Dallas dealt him for JRich part of the reason was to get his wife back home with the kids to Rivers area.

BK is all KD right now, losing an insane 9 in a row with him out. Kyrie doesn't really want to play.
Simmons will be motivated and he is an elite defender and rebounder.
He just doesn't need to be the primary PG.
Playing him with Kyrie is unfair in how good that combo is.
And that's before you get late in games and just give the ball to KD.
As crazy as Kyrie is he is superb on the ball.
Simmons/KD together on defense is just mean.

BK could well win it all now.
And so could Philly.
I hate it as a WC playoff team who dreams of going far enough to face the ECF.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
This could work well for Brooklyn since Simmons would be fresh going into the postseason like what Fishers did with the Lakers in 00-01.

He is a better defender than Harden, and can go to the post with shooters on outside. Question is did he work on his ft shooting?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This could work well for Brooklyn since Simmons would be fresh going into the postseason like what Fishers did with the Lakers in 00-01.

He is a better defender than Harden, and can go to the post with shooters on outside. Question is did he work on his ft shooting?
question is just will he be happy without the ball.
because with kyrie and KD he isn't dribbling at all.
but if he will play a cutting/slashing wing role who hits the offensive boards and defends, he can be an elite 3rd man on a truly great team.
teams aren't going to voluntarily go into the bonus versus kyrie and KD unless they wanna lose badly.

its ironic but he can probably guard Embiid as well as anyone.
he is the only guy in the league who can truly guard Luka 1v1.

Simmons situation has always been he simply isn't really a PG in the modern game.

Rustinpeace21

Reaction score
question is just will he be happy without the ball.
because with kyrie and KD he isn't dribbling at all.
but if he will play a cutting/slashing wing role who hits the offensive boards and defends, he can be an elite 3rd man on a truly great team.
teams aren't going to voluntarily go into the bonus versus kyrie and KD unless they wanna lose badly.

its ironic but he can probably guard Embiid as well as anyone.
he is the only guy in the league who can truly guard Luka 1v1.

Simmons situation has always been he simply isn't really a PG in the modern game.

Harden dribbled the ball away for 20 seconds per possession on the nets, then he would just pass it if he didn't see a lane or get his shot. I think Simmons type of ball handling, and ball movement can work, with KD and Kyrie.

The question is when there are 4 mins left in a close playoff game, do you even let Simmons touch the ball? Should be interesting.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Harden dribbled the ball away for 20 seconds per possession on the nets, then he would just pass it if he didn't see a lane or get his shot. I think Simmons type of ball handling, and ball movement can work, with KD and Kyrie.

The question is when there are 4 mins left in a close playoff game, do you even let Simmons touch the ball? Should be interesting.
If Kyrie is active he's the PG and primary ball handler.
4 mins left tho and KD is the ball handler and initiates things imo.
Simmons might get some PG run in small stretches but he's the 3rd option for the Nets provided Kyrie ever can play regularly.

Harden is out of shape and lost a step but he draws enough fouls to be efficient as a ball handler.
Simmons doesn't try to draw fouls because he can't shoot from the stripe or really anywhere else.
But as a slasher and junk basket guy who will D up? Elite fit.

ghst187

Reaction score
Interested to see how Harden fits there…if he’s not on and getting his shots he can be an offensive disruption

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Interested to see how Harden fits there…if he’s not on and getting his shots he can be an offensive disruption
The issue with Harden is complex.
He loves his party hard lifestyle but he also wants MVP respect from the team and coaching staff.

All that said he had it working with Morey in HOU and could again with much better talent around him in Philly.

Sydla

Reaction score

That would require an attitude adjustment.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Embiid & The Beard, now that's a combo!

Embiid MVP GO SIXERS

Flamma

Reaction score
What an awful trade for Philly. Simmons is a brat, though, so good riddance to him. It will be quite the spectacle if he ever plays in Philly (as a visitor) again.

Simmons is out of position. Dude can't shoot. He should be playing power forward or center. Some of the more prolific scorers in NBA history couldn't shoot a basketball to save their lives, yet they're in the HOF. Why? Because they were able to bully their way underneath and live on dunks and 3 foot jump hooks. They didn't play point guard.