Video: Harvey "Too mean" Martin

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I believe they called it "Martinized" back in the day. He would just barrel over Olinemen. He was a thrill to watch. The whole Dline back then was great as was the game itself.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Teamed up with Randy White, Harvey Martin was a terror to contend with for every NFL QB in that era! Of course, those forearm smashes would never be tolerated by today's rules and the referees, but back then, it was Harvey Martin's calling card.

Early-on in his career, Ernie Stautner pulled Martin aside and told him in practice one day that he was too "nice" to ever be effective in the pro level of NFL football. Upon hearing that, Martin changed from that "too nice" guy, into the monster that he was known for, throughout the rest of his career.

Harvey and Randy rung many a QB's bell back in those days of extremely rough and tumble football. Harvey and Randy White were a pair of mentally and physically tough defenders that every QB kept a close eye on -- and that's for sure! Those forearm smashes by Harvey Martin were devastating. They often changed games around in short order for the Cowboys. He was, surely, one of the most exciting DEs, ever to play the game. ;)

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Nice nickname. Don't think I've heard that before. Came across this video and thought I'd share it here. Martin was before my time and I don't think I've ever really watched him play. Dude looks like he was a beast. I'm rethinking my lists of great Cowboys defenders now.

It's really wild as a kid who grew up with the '90's team to see the stat showing Dallas is still 3rd all time in playoff wins. Those old teams must've been fun to watch.

You did not want to be martinzed if you were the opposition qb.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was a kid growing up watching Martin play. Watch some of his highlights, he doesn't look happy. Had 23 sacks in 1977. To me that's the sack record. Even though it wasn't an official stat, if he got 23, and they're all on video, 23 is the record IMO.

Deacon Jones claimed he was the all time sack leader total. And I believe him. Back then they just called them tackles for losses, or behind the LOS.
They have play by play stats and film, they can go back and get a count. But the NFL probably does not want some of these stats out there.

It would be cool if they went back and declared Harvey Martin the NFL record for a season sack leader. But since he is on Dallas they won't so it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The only nickname I remember was the beautiful Harvey Martin. He may have given himself that name. Drew Pearson said it didn’t make any sense because he wasn’t good looking. Lol

Flamma

Reaction score
Deacon Jones claimed he was the all time sack leader total. And I believe him. Back then they just called them tackles for losses, or behind the LOS.
They have play by play stats and film, they can go back and get a count. But the NFL probably does not want some of these stats out there.

It would be cool if they went back and declared Harvey Martin the NFL record for a season sack leader. But since he is on Dallas they won't so it.

Yeah, I wonder why they don't do that. Judy because it wasn't an official stat, doesn't mean they shouldn't count. They count now. So if there's video evidence, count them.

They probably don't want to count up all of Deacon's. Might put the sack record unreachable. Lol

conner01

Reaction score
I was a kid growing up watching Martin play. Watch some of his highlights, he doesn't look happy. Had 23 sacks in 1977. To me that's the sack record. Even though it wasn't an official stat, if he got 23, and they're all on video, 23 is the record IMO.
I really think our younger fans need to go watch what football was like in those days. It was a different game.
And they need to see the players who dominated the game back then. One interesting thing is look at the sizes of guys back then. Compared to today, many were not really dig guys

Hardline

Reaction score
a6e7e53f6c6dd8f513a40adfd470fa75.jpg

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wonder what percentage of people today even listen to radio at all lol

A very small percentage. However Sirius radio has about 34 million subscribers. I drove from California to San Antonio three months ago and listened to the radio for the first time in years.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We had Too Mean, Too Tall, the Manster. It was the decade of the nickname. Of course, they were all part of the Doomsday Defense, back when we had one of those.

You're just now learning you have to have good nicknames to have a good defense?

Where were you during the Marinelli years?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nice nickname. Don't think I've heard that before. Came across this video and thought I'd share it here. Martin was before my time and I don't think I've ever really watched him play. Dude looks like he was a beast. I'm rethinking my lists of great Cowboys defenders now.

It's really wild as a kid who grew up with the '90's team to see the stat showing Dallas is still 3rd all time in playoff wins. Those old teams must've been fun to watch.

Harvey was also known as “The Beautiful Harvey Martin”. I saw him playin person at Texas Stadium back in the late 70s and for a few years, he was the best pass rusher in the game- from about ‘77-81 he was incredible.

Sadly his lifestyle decisions took years off his career and I have no doubt if he would have been able to stay clean he would be in the HOF.

cowboyec

Reaction score
☆ed too tall jones
☆harvey martin

greatest de duo of all-time in my biased opinion.
they were fun as hell to watch and root for.
:bow:72/79:bow:

Haimerej

Reaction score
Harvey was also known as “The Beautiful Harvey Martin”. I saw him playin person at Texas Stadium back in the late 70s and for a few years, he was the best pass rusher in the game- from about ‘77-81 he was incredible.

Sadly his lifestyle decisions took years off his career and I have no doubt if he would have been able to stay clean he would be in the HOF.

Those decisions are likely why I hadn't given him much thought. Don't hear him spoken of that much. That's a shame.