Harvin draft stock falling from Palm Beach Post

RS12

Reaction score
Louis Oliver knows just how Percy Harvin feels this month. Like Harvin, Oliver was a star at the University of Florida and was the subject of rumors about a failed drug test in 1989 that sent his draft stock plummeting. Twenty years later, the rumors are swirling around another Gators' star and there's nothing Harvin can do about it. First there was the reported score of 12 out of 50 on Harvin's Wonderlic test in February, which measures quick thinking and basic problem solving. Then NFLDraftBible.com reported 10 days ago that Harvin and three other players tested positive for marijuana at February's NFL Combine in Indianapolis, though no other outlet has confirmed the report. "He's as talented as anyone in the draft this year," said Gil Brandt, the longtime general manager of Tom Landry's Dallas Cowboys and now a draft analyst for NFL.com. "But he has those off-field problems, and that's going to knock him down a little bit."

Palm Beach Post

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Report: Harvin’s Stock Dropping
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 12, 2009, 9:28 a.m.

A series of rumors surrounding versatile University of Florida wide receiver Percy Harvin may have damaged his NFL draft stock, according to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post.

In the wake of an unconfirmed report that Harvin allegedly tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine, Harvin’s camp hasn’t issued a denial. Harvin also reportedly scored a 12 on the Wonderlic test.

“He’s as talented as anyone in the draft this year,” said Gil Brandt, a former Dallas Cowboys executive who writes about the draft for NFL.com. “But he has those off-field problems, and that’s going to knock him down a little bit.”

During a recent Pro Football Weekly poll of NFL executives, Harvin was voted unanimously as a risky potential selection. The report cited concerns about Harvin’s ”coachability, a posse of hangers-on, his lack of respect for authority, and drug usage.”

It’s unclear how much these issues will hurt Harvin’s chances at this point.

Harvin scored 32 career touchdowns for the Gators and has outstanding speed and moves. However, NFL teams will weigh any potential character issues before making a final determination.

“Clear and void of those things, he’s a first-round pick,” SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline said. “But a guy like that, those things could hurt a lot. It could knock him out of the first round.”

Brandt offered up a potential conspiracy theory, theorizing that it’s always possible that another receiver’s agent could be floating rumors to hurt Harvin. He didn’t make any direct accusations, though.

“If you move up from the 12th spot to the ninth spot, there might be $3 million involved,” Brandt said. “How did someone find out about Harvin? Did Kenny Britt’s agent do this? Did [Darrius] Heyward-Bey’s? You just don’t know.”

Harvin and his agent weren’t quoted in the article, which stated that they didn’t return telephone calls seeking comment.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Though it's been widely reported around here that he's been taken off our board, I would take him at #51 if he was there. Too much talent to pass up.

My guess is someone will swoop him up late first/early second.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Avery;2726779 said:
Though it's been widely reported around here that he's been taken off our board, I would take him at #51 if he was there. Too much talent to pass up.

My guess is someone will swoop him up late first/early second.

Me too. He seems okay in his interviews and suppossedly he was nearly perfect at his Pro Day.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
This kid is definitely buyer beware, and I wouldnt draft him.

Alot of people within U of F are apparently glad he left. Thats never a good sign when you are considered that talented, yet your own coaching staff and boosters etc etc want you gone.

DFWJC

Reaction score
dbair1967;2728349 said:
This kid is definitely buyer beware, and I wouldnt draft him.

Alot of people within U of F are apparently glad he left. Thats never a good sign when you are considered that talented, yet your own coaching staff and boosters etc etc want you gone.

I was not aware that it was THAT bad. You may recall that a lot of folks from UT could not wait for Roy W to leave as well....but not at that level.