Has anyone been keeping up with the Zimmerman trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
If so, what are your thoughts? And, I would especially like to hear from our Attorneys that come here to talk Cowboys.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I am not an attorney but I am not sure this guy is guilty of "murdering" someone. I don't know if he should've used deadly force or not because I've never been in that position, but it's pretty obvious he was getting his butt kicked. They originally didn't want to press charges so why the change? That is my big question.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
I have been following somewhat. I say he is not guilty of murder. I believe because there was a physical altercation, he pulled the trigger. Self-defense.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The only thing I heard about was the questioning of the one witness over Skype. People in the general public could see the interview and kept buzzing in during the questioning. It was comical and annoyed the judge.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Not guilty. Too much reasonable doubt. To me it seems like the prosecution is trying to get a conviction based on what MIGHT have happened. They have to prove it. Maybe someone can explain to me how it is possible to convict him on a lesser charge of manslaughter. Isn't manslaughter accidental?

arglebargle

Reaction score
Haven't been following it heavily. I think he'll get convicted of something, if he started the altercation. Certainly the kid might have been worried about being stalked by some creepy dude, and tried to stand his ground. The many, many previous calls to 911 makes me think the guy was an overactive wannabe.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Haven't been following it heavily. I think he'll get convicted of something, if he started the altercation. Certainly the kid might have been worried about being stalked by some creepy dude, and tried to stand his ground. The many, many previous calls to 911 makes me think the guy was an overactive wannabe.

However even if started the altercation and he is getting his butt kicked it can turn into self defense. Was he stupid for pushing the issue? Heck yeah he should've left it alone. However why didn't they want to file charges on him to begin with? That is what I don't understand.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
This is the state that acquitted Casey Anthony. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't walk too.

I have had it on quite a bit, not paying close attention but enough to have formed an opinion. I feel like both parties were at fault, which one more so...only they know?

I don't believe Zimmerman completely acted as a "vigilantly", but he certainly handled it w/ very poor judgement.

I also have no doubt Martin confronted him in an aggressive manner, when he could have easily just kept on going and safely made it to his dad's front door, and neither man would have ever come face-to-face.

Either way, it's a tragedy a young man's life is lost, and another man's life is stigmatized in a way that'll impact him for the rest of it.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Yup, I've been following it since day one of trial and I think he is guilty of manslaughter, but that's just me.

WhizKid

Reaction score
However even if started the altercation and he is getting his butt kicked it can turn into self defense. Was he stupid for pushing the issue? Heck yeah he should've left it alone. However why didn't they want to file charges on him to begin with? That is what I don't understand.

Sounds like manslaughter. Not murder though. Either way some time should be spent behind bars.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
So if they find him not guilty of murder, can they still get him for manslaughter or is that a whole different trial??

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
So if they find him not guilty of murder, can they still get him for manslaughter or is that a whole different trial??

I believe jury can render 1 of 3 different verdicts.

2nd degree murder or Manslaughter or Not Guilty.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That kid did not deserve to die.
That kid was a punk.
Zim is a big time creepy dude that was getting his butt kicked.
However, that was not murder according to Florida law.

The bigger issue is will the overwhelming pressure to find the creep quilty actually to him getting railroaded. A lot of people fear the repercussions of what may happen if he is not--regardless of the law.

Wheeltax

Reaction score
I've been following it pretty closely.

I believe there is far, far too much reasonable doubt to convict Zimmerman of anything. His story has been pretty consistent and is corroborated by police reports, medical reports, etc. It probably wasn't smart of him to confront Martin, but it didn't break any laws - if his story is true and Martin was the aggressor, then it's an open and shut case.

It's already come out that the arrest was made and charges pressed due to political pressure. I fear that the same will be used to convict him if he is found guilty, and that should be disturbing to everyone. To my eyes, it looks so far as though the Judge has done everything possible to hand this case to the Prosecution.

And I'll tell you one thing - if I'm Zimmerman and I'm found innocent, I do everything I can to go after every major US media organization for defamation of character for putting me through this nonsense. I absolutely place the blame squarely upon the shoulders of CNN, ABC, and NBC.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
A lot of people fear the repercussions of what may happen if he is not--regardless of the law.

I will honestly be surprised if there's NOT several Rodney King like incidents in many cities if/when he's acquitted.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
That kid did not deserve to die.
That kid was a punk.
Zim is a big time creepy dude that was getting his butt kicked.
However, that was not murder according to Florida law.

The bigger issue is will the overwhelming pressure to find the creep quilty actually to him getting railroaded. A lot of people fear the repercussions of what may happen if he is not--regardless of the law.

Would he be the first person to get off after shooting someone in Florida or something? The idea that the country would flip out if Zimmerman walks is way overblown.

I'm not gonna comment on the trial itself, the last time people discussed this thing on the forum, it brought out the worst in everyone.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Would he be the first person to get off after shooting someone in Florida or something? The idea that the country would flip out if Zimmerman walks is way overblown.

I'm not gonna comment on the trial itself, the last time people discussed this thing on the forum, it brought out the worst in everyone.

I do agree with the sentiment that the case is overblown. Distractions for the people.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Nobody here said the country would flip out.
And maybe the thousands of threats of disturbance or outright violence (in pockets) is all idle. I have no idea. I know I don't fear it, but many do.

And I fully agree that the case is WAY overblown

Thatkidbob

Reaction score
For me, there are too many inconsistencies in Zimmerman's story to believe his version of events.

As a guy that's seen a few fights and even been in a couple myself, I've seen people sustain far worse injuries than his... His injuries don't make sense in light of the life threatening struggle he describes. Zimmerman has no defensive wounds. How is that? Does that mean he just laid there and took it when he thought his life was endangered? That doesn't make sense.

At no point did Zimmerman identify himself or his purpose in following the guy, and claims he didn't do so because he was scared. However... shortly thereafter he's out of the car following the kid he's so scared of. Why? If he was so concerned for his safety one second, why did he feel safe the next? In one version of events Zimmerman says the kid RAN away. In another he says he SKIPPED. Even if you ignore the ridiculousness of that statement, what it means is that he doesn't consistently describe the speed at which the kid was going, which is important because if he wasn't going fast it means that they were in the same place at the same time for a minute and a half or more.

One of the witnesses described a prolonged verbal confrontation before the fight. It's almost entirely absent in zimmerman's version of events... (His version goes like- Trayvon: Do you have a ******* problem? Zimmerman: No. Trayvon: well you do now! *starts pummeling*)

Anyway, I think it likely that things didnt happen as Zimmerman described because I can't trust his story, it just doesn't make sense to me. However, based on the evidence, he'll either be found not guilty or, if he is determined to be guilty, it'll be of the lesser charge. If he is found guilty, it'll likely hinge on the fact that he followed the kid without identifying himself, and created a volatile situation either knowingly or unknowingly in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.