Has anyone ever seen a helmet break during a game?

Hardline

Reaction score
My senior year I had one of the brackets holding on my face mask break.
bb7f4147fba29b1e7adfd25dd4cb8659

dcstar

Reaction score
Still confused as to why the Chiefs weren't charged a timeout.

Go Cowboys!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The NFL has clearly FAILED at player safety!! If this can happen, wow it breaks my heart to see this!

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Crazy how cold it was. My oldest nephew was at the game. $30 ticket and needless to say he froze his Jalepenos off! If I'm not mistaken didn't the NFL create a rule when a runner initiated contact with his head?

Ken

Reaction score
My senior year I had one of the brackets holding on my face mask break.
bb7f4147fba29b1e7adfd25dd4cb8659
Nope. I did say in the game thread to my son prior to the break, there is no way those helmets are working correctly in that Cold.

Was not surprised this happened, plastic loses its flex in that temp.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
At the JuCo level yes, but we obviously don'thave the resources that NFL teams have.

No clue why someone thinks KC should have been charged a time out. I am surprised they let him play one play with it the helmet like that.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
That wasn’t the only helmet that broke. I saw it at least one more time with a piece being visible on the field.

Made in China?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In all my years of watching high school, college and pro football I've never seen anything like that before.

Considering how cold it was, I'm not surprised it happen.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Nope, never- You would see scrapes and even very shallow cracks/gashes but a complete crack? No way

rags747

Reaction score
That’s the new VICIS helmet, supposed to be the safest helmet out there right now. Front has deformable pieces to absorb the shock. Have never seen a broken helmet before, I think it’s pretty cool. I’m sure Mahomes will be putting that in his display case.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
In the KC versus Miami playoff game, you could actually see Mahommes' helmet get broken, and a piece of it fell off. They called an official's timeout so that he could replace it. I think that was the right thing to do. It would have put him in danger to let him play with a broken helmet.
Has anyone ever seen anything like that happen?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Still confused as to why the Chiefs weren't charged a timeout.

Go Cowboys!
The officials can take a timeout to protect player safety. IMO, they used good judgement by doing so. They could not let someone play with a broken helmet.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
In the KC versus Miami playoff game, you could actually see Mahommes' helmet get broken, and a piece of it fell off. They called an official's timeout so that he could replace it. I think that was the right thing to do. It would have put him in danger to let him play with a broken helmet.
Has anyone ever seen anything like that happen?
I saw that, that was a good sized piece of his helmet broke out. Never seen that before. I didn't see it happen, but it must have been a heckuva hit!

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Those helmets have an outer layer that’s meant to deform and absorb energy, probably got too cold to deform and broke.

Broke a helmet in practice back in the day, it happens.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I saw that, that was a good sized piece of his helmet broke out. Never seen that before. I didn't see it happen, but it must have been a heckuva hit!
Yeah, and then Mahommes ran another play with a broken helmet! He would have kept going if it hadn't been for the refs calling an official timeout to let him replace his helmet. The announcers criticized the refs for not charging KC with a timeout, but I think the refs acted properly. It would have been dangerous to allow him to continue playing with a broken helmet. I was surprised that it was even an issue for a ref to use an official timeout for that. On this one, I give the refs props.