CFZ Has Dan Quinn become Wade Phillips?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
3 full season and still couldn't figure out how to stop the run.

Either blame him or the players.
This isn't anything new - the defenses over the years have all struggled to stop the run. The DC is always the first person to point fingers at, but maybe the front office should also get some of the blame. Jerry and Stephen are the ones responsible for filling the roster. Have they done a good job? I would argue they have failed miserably.

1942willys

Reaction score
2007 wasn't Wade's fault entirely. The players, specifically Romo, Witten, and whomever else thought the trip to Cabo was a good idea, take the brunt of the blame for their lack of focus. Wade takes the blame for not getting the players in the right mindset. But if you remember, this was the 1st season of the 'Camp Cupcake' years, so anyone who was paying attention saw the writing on the wall and when the circus really started rolling.

Sure, Wade get's the lions share of the blame from that point on, but who is the person truly responsible for allowing the culture and commitment to go to crap like it did? Jerry wants to be everyone's best friend instead of their boss, and 17 years later the franchise is still trying to get their crap together.
Brady did the same thing before one of his SB wins so that excuse as regards Cabo is total horse crap
Now as regards the team going soft yes. That sort of thing shows up late in the season and it did that year; the packers game on we were on the downhill slide

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Brady did the same thing before one of his SB wins so that excuse as regards Cabo is total horse crap
Now as regards the team going soft yes. That sort of thing shows up late in the season and it did that year; the packers game on we were on the downhill slide
Can you provide a link? Not surprisingly, I'm having trouble finding proof of your claim. But whatever, you're comparing what Romo did, a QB who had trouble getting out of wildcard weekend, to a 7 time super bowl champion. So assuming your claim is true, at what point in Brady's career did this happen? Was it his first super bowl appearance? His 5th? 6th?

I hope you're seeing how ridiculous your comment is starting to look. My point is this - at whatever point in Brady's career this may have happened, had he not already earned the latitude being a multiple super bowl champion? What had Romo earned up to the point his team crapped away a #1 seed by going on an ill-timed trip? Witten and Romo may also be on record admitting it was a very bad idea.

Brady took his role very seriously while Romo never did.

Last edited:

Staubacher

Reaction score
Can you provide a link? Not surprisingly, I'm having trouble finding proof of your claim. But whatever, you're comparing what Romo did, a QB who had trouble getting out of wildcard weekend, to a 7 time super bowl champion. So assuming your claim is true, at what point in Brady's career did this happen? Was it his first super bowl appearance? His 5th? 6th?

I hope you're seeing how ridiculous your comment is starting to look. My point is this - at whatever point in Brady's career this may have happened, had he not already earned the latitude being a multiple super bowl champion? What had Romo earned up to the point his team crapped away a #1 seed by going on an ill-timed trip? Witten and Romo may also be on record admitting it was a very bad idea.

Brady took his role very seriously while Romo never did.
It's completely false to say Romo didn't work hard on his game. He actually got better and better as a quarterback to the point where he played at an elite level in 2014 and if it weren't for a questionable overturned catch he could have led to team to the NFC championship and the Super Bowl. He then had injuries the next couple years so we'll never know but he was definitely a top level quarterback who worked hard on his game over the years to become that. As for Cabo whatever you think of it the reason we lost that game was because of Patrick Crayton

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Heck no, Wade was cool, unlike this old fart who thinks he's cool wearing his hat backwards. smh.get you one of those whitten wigs dq.

RonWashington

Reaction score
From a talent standpoint this Commaders job is a three yr commitment. From my perspective this is the worst team in the division . I like him bringing in Kliff Kingsbury to run the offense that’s a good sign .

Beaker42

Reaction score
I like Dan Quinn. No what anyone thinks of his defense’s atrocious performance against Green Bay in the playoffs, Dan Quinn rescued the Cowboys defense from the “Worst defense in team history” in 2020 to becoming a more than adequate unit the last 2-3 seasons.

In his defense - this year he was not exactly given a great set of LBs to work with, he lost his top CB to a knee injury, and the team’s 2023 #1 draft pick was a major disappointment in year one. (Can’t give up on Mazi yet but he did not have a good first year) Not making excuses, it’s just true that DQ‘s defensive gun was missing a bullet or two. No matter what, he is clearly an outstanding defensive coordinator IMO.

But I do wonder: Has Dan Quinn basically become Wade Phillips? A great defensive coordinator who should not be a head coach? We Cowboys fans watched the Wade Phillips years as our head coach with great pain. We saw a roster that Bill Parcells had molded into a top shelf #1 seed by 2007, only to watch in horror as that #1 seed in the NFC choked it all away in the divisional round vs the giants. And by 2010, after 3 and a half frustrating seasons with one wild card win, the team had quit on Wade.

Sadly, Wade Phillips was clearly an outstanding defensive coordinator. He eventually won a SB ring with Denver in 2015 as their defensive coordinator. Despite 3 tours of duty as an NFL head coach, Wade Phillips made it clear, he was a better coordinator than he was a HC. Is that true about Dan Quinn? I don’t know.

What’s sad for Dan Quinn is no matter what happens - if he’s hired by Washington tomorrow for example, he has clearly NOT been their first choice or they would have already hired him. If he is not offered the job in Washington has be become a second tier option like eventually Wade became? Again, if Washington really wanted Dan Quinn as their HC, they would have already hired him.

Either way, no matter what happens DQ does not look like the “hot commodity” coach in waiting but rather the second tier retread that’s available if a team can’t get who they wanted. That’s ultimately what Wade Phillips became. But to Wade’s credit, he also sports something very few other coaches have- a Super Bowl ring. Not as a HC but as a coordinator.

Time will soon tell if Dan Quinn is a HC again. Or the next Wade Phillips.
He sucks and I’m glad he’s gone. I blame him and his losers on D for 99% of that loss. Our O never had a chance to get in the game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dan Quinn seems to be respected, something I didn't see in Marshmellow man. Wade Phillips was a yes man, and it was sad how the Cowboys and Garrett did him in.
100% disagree bum Phillips son wade Phillips has always carried A respected name and wade Phillips did not embarrass himself he got plenty of jobs after his head coaching stint here, I don't see any difference just like Bob's making the jump to say are they going to end up in the same boat and that probably answers yes and there are a lot of guys like that they can't master being head coaches in the NFL and that includes some big names that came from college like Saban and Myers ,Bobby Petrino, and Chip Kelly... They're better off being college coaches and there are a lot of coordinators in this league that should never be head coaches and we're about to find out that Dan Quinn is most likely gonna be that guy as well.. I do not remember any disrespect other than the fan like you they would call him marshmallow man you call big Mike fat I mean you guys run around and call people names that doesn't mean that's how their cohorts you know they're respected members of the coaching carousel in the NFL I'm wade Phillips was in high regard regardless of what you think of him

blueblood70

Reaction score
He sucks and I’m glad he’s gone. I blame him and his losers on D for 99% of that loss. Our O never had a chance to get in the game.
i wouldn't say he sucks but his defenses were getting lit up the last 1/2 of both the last 2 seasons, and for sure it was time for a change I think it's gonna suit both parties well...

blueblood70

Reaction score
From a talent standpoint this Commaders job is a three yr commitment. From my perspective this is the worst team in the division . I like him bringing in Kliff Kingsbury to run the offense that’s a good sign .
A good sign for what are you trying to be sarcastic? Literally he's the Kellen Moore type.... I'm not worried about Washington but if they become stronger because of Dan Quinn that's fine bring it on it's not like we haven't had a tough division in the past... Anybody remember at the beginning of this last season saying how the giants we're gonna compete in that we're really in trouble that we might finish next to last in this division if not last because of the way the giants finished 2022 and that they thought Washington was gonna make a step in that Philadelphia was gonna remain king and it's funny how when you start really playing games how you find out who's who...

tm1119

Reaction score
Quinn’s 2nd opportunity hasn’t even started yet, and his 1st “failure” involved coaching his team to the Super Bowl. Aside from completely different personalities and coaching styles…the main part of the comparison doesn’t even add up.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
100% disagree bum Phillips son wade Phillips has always carried A respected name and wade Phillips did not embarrass himself he got plenty of jobs after his head coaching stint here, I don't see any difference just like Bob's making the jump to say are they going to end up in the same boat and that probably answers yes and there are a lot of guys like that they can't master being head coaches in the NFL and that includes some big names that came from college like Saban and Myers ,Bobby Petrino, and Chip Kelly... They're better off being college coaches and there are a lot of coordinators in this league that should never be head coaches and we're about to find out that Dan Quinn is most likely gonna be that guy as well.. I do not remember any disrespect other than the fan like you they would call him marshmallow man you call big Mike fat I mean you guys run around and call people names that doesn't mean that's how their cohorts you know they're respected members of the coaching carousel in the NFL I'm wade Phillips was in high regard regardless of what you think of him
The whipping they took in Green Bay said everything words couldn't say. The fact that literally the next week players were handed another offensive playbook says a lot about what the people who were with him day in and day out thought of him. That's disrespectful to that man no matter how much mental gymnastics you do. By the way it wasn't fans calling him that it was media people.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The whipping they took in Green Bay said everything words couldn't say. The fact that literally the next week players were handed another offensive playbook says a lot about what the people who were with him day in and day out thought of him. That's disrespectful to that man no matter how much mental gymnastics you do. By the way it wasn't fans calling him that it was media people.
You mean all the whippings all our head coaches and coordinators have taken from the 49ers in Green Bay how does that have anything to do with just wade Phillips.. So you're saying that the whipping that Dan Quinn just took is somehow different dude where are you from you trying to slide that under like it didn't happen that was the most embarrassing playoff loss I've ever witnessed outside of that one Philadelphia eagle disappointment literally DQ was taped to a flagpole bro... So what type of words is that saying that Dan Quinn just got stripped down and tied up on a goal post embarrassing the whole entire organization and how bad they came out with a lack of a game plan lack of adjustments it's one of the worst playoff games of all time ohh and what does it say about him doing that in the Super bowl or him doing that in the watermelon kick game against us and also the two games last year against Jacksonville and Green Bay also blew those leads so Dan Quinn somehow more respected because he blows games just like wade Phillips did????? hmm I see the hypocrites come in here again because they're trying to make their point where they narrative that also fits our last couple defensive coordinators....

RonWashington

Reaction score
Funny I thought Kingsbury moved the ball won some games in Az . I must have been watching a mirage in the desert . Yes good hire . They got a few receivers a RB now is Sam Howell the answer or do they take a QB round one .

Kelien Moore comparison not even close KM never was a HC in the NFL

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
DQ got the job because the Lions OC and Texans OC pulled out. Wash wanted an offensive HC. And if Seattle passed over DQ for another DC, what does that tell you?

He’s good at generating turnovers. And if Dak didn’t wilt in the playoffs there would’ve been more pressure on Love which might’ve led to some turnovers.

Oh well. He did a good but not great job while here. Hope he does an average but not good job in Wash