Has Stephen Davis been signed by anyone yet?

jcblanco22

Reaction score
It just dawned on me today that he may still be out there. If he is and is still free and clear come late April/early May and is willing to accept a reasonable deal, do you folks feel he becomes a good short-yardage bruiser option for us?

Picking him up at a reasonable price along w/ Sowell in the "Richie Anderson" role would round out the backfield nicely.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
jcblanco22 said:
It just dawned on me today that he may still be out there. If he is and is still free and clear come late April/early May and is willing to accept a reasonable deal, do you folks feel he becomes a good short-yardage bruiser option for us?

Picking him up at a reasonable price along w/ Sowell in the "Richie Anderson" role would round out the backfield nicely.

I didn't know Stephen Davis was a free agent.. I think this should be our "POWERBACK"...

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
We could use him as a POWERBACk, but i think anywhere he would go, he would want to start.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
I didn't know Stephen Davis was a free agent.. I think this should be our "POWERBACK"...

RCF, I know he was released by Carolina a day or two before one of the free agency "false starts", right before the first one IIRC. The only thing come to think of it, is I'm not sure if this was one of those moves that was "reversed" when free agency did not start on the originally scheduled date.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Davis is too injury prone and I think he retired.

That's why we should go into the season with 4 Backs.. so when he goes down.. there goes Tyson Thompson...

Rumor

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
That's why we should go into the season with 4 Backs.. so when he goes down.. there goes Tyson Thompson...

I dont see the point...

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
The Eagles could benefit from the likes of a Stephen Davis; he'd fit well. However, Eagles GM may want to explore some draft options while looking to the future.

While we have Westbrook and Moats, I'd give up Buckhaulter in a nano-second to obtain Davis (not all Eaqgle fans will agree on that call).

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
The Eagles could benefit from the likes of a Stephen Davis; he'd fit well. However, Eagles GM may want to explore some draft options while looking to the future.

While we have Westbrook and Moats, I'd give up Buckhaulter in a nano-second to obtain Davis (not all Eaqgle fans will agree on that call).

no RB fits well in philadelphia because they only run twice a game

maxsports

Reaction score
Stephen Davis will most likely retire. He was hurt badly last season. Dr.'s don't think he will be able to play again

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

PT, speaking of Buckhalter, what are you hearing on his status for this year ? I know he's had torn ACLs 3 out of the last 4 seasons I believe? However, I remember that the Eagles front office certainly showed some confidence in him last offseason by re-signing him, and by keeping him on the roster through yet another injury.

Given his injury history, I can see your point about wanting Davis at this point, although he's got his own history of being nicked up as well.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
maxsports said:
Stephen Davis will most likely retire. He was hurt badly last season. Dr.'s don't think he will be able to play again

Maxsports, are you hearing that this is another microfracture surgery situation? He seemed to come back relatively well from that last year, but I do believe the injury that put him on the shelf for the rest of the season was that same knee again (although not a torn ligament I don't think).

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Future 585 said:
stephen davis = anthony thomas

Future, this came to mind for me as well when I stated the late April/early May timeframe of signing Davis in my scenario; I recall we signed Thomas last year on May 2nd.

I do think that Davis is a higher caliber of back than Thomas and Parcells would use him more, but then again, recent injuries have brought him down a couple of notches.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
jcblanco22 said:
PT, speaking of Buckhalter, what are you hearing on his status for this year ?

You'd be surprised at the Love that many Eagle fans carry for Correll Buckhalter. While I appreciate his efforts for the franchise in the past, he's Been on IR for the last 3 years.

I know he's had torn ACLs 3 out of the last 4 seasons I believe? However, I remember that the Eagles front office certainly showed some confidence in him last offseason by re-signing him, and by keeping him on the roster through yet another injury.

This guy is a beast when he's healthy, and I'll admit, he's had adequate time to mend, but the years aren't being kind to Buckhalter -- time is moving and we really should focus on establishing an Eagles running game sometime this century.

Given his injury history, I can see your point about wanting Davis at this point, although he's got his own history of being nicked up as well.

While Buckhalter is actually only 28 years old, and Davis is 32, Buck is more Injury prone.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
That's rediculously funny, but embarrassingly true:eek::

I know you know this but Garcia and Chang as the backups are pass happy
players too..kinda funny :laugh2::laugh1:

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
ROYDESTROY said:
I know you know this but Garcia and Chang as the backups are pass happy players too..kinda funny :laugh2::laugh1:

That's controllable; depending on the Offensive coaching staff. However, it's my hope that McNabb will not need a backup to put that concept to the test.