CFZ Has the front office done enough to fix run game?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Tyrone is a Hall of Famer, period.
When he plays!
Which has not been for an entire season in several years.
To rely on him for 16 games is just not a smart game plan.
To have no veteran swing tackle behind him is just insanity.

We haven't heard much about Josh Ball's progress lately -- let's hope he turns out to be a very pleasant surprise this year.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
We all witnessed how the run game disappeared in the 2nd half of the season. Teams started to used extra men in coverage and dared the Cowboys to beat them on the ground against light boxes, which they couldn't do. Without a run game and balanced attack, our offense went from being elite to being more of a middle of the pack threat.

There are many things we can point to, Zeke playing hurt and the coaches refusing to sit him down. Reshuffling the OL due to injuries, especially to Tyron Smith. League high penalties committed, Dak not fully healthy and refusal of taking off due to it. Moore playcalling was also a big part of the problem.

In my opinion, fixing the ground attack and becoming more balance was the team's #1 offseason priority. Question is, have they done enough to fix this weakness?

-Both Zeke/Pollard should be more healthy this season. Zeke has been one of the most durable backs since he was drafted. He may not be a homerun back no longer, but still should have plenty of juice to hurt teams on the ground.

-The draft additions of both Tyler Smith and Jake Ferguson were made to help the run game out. Smith is a legitimate power guard who has the ability to move players in the run game and is athletic enough to reach block on the move. The hope with Ferguson is that he is a better inline blocker then Shultz was last season, which will allow more 12 personnel and Shultz to play more to his strengths as a pass catcher.

-Is Terrence Steele a downgrade over Collins at RT? What we do know is that the team was undefeated when he filled in for Collins due to the suspension. Our run game was at it's peak during that stretch.

-What about the penalties? Tyler Smith was a penalty machine on the college level. The hope is that his move from Tackle inside he will do less reaching in space. He needs to work on better hand placement, but his character suggests he won't be mentally weak like Connor Williams. Him next to Biaz, should help alleviate the lack of strength with our center position.

-Tyron's Smith health. To the team's credit they have drafted tackles in back to back years to develop for the future. Question is, will one of them be ready to spot start when Tyron goes down again. Think the wise decision would be find a stop gap, bridge veteran swing tackle.

-Will MM have more influence with the playcalling this season? Reportedly he is going to get more involved. They must do a better job with what type of runs they call and sticking with it.

No, they went cheap. They still have a left tackle that they can't count on to stay healthy. A rookie at left guard so it remains to be seen on him being an upgrade. A center who gets pushed back a lot and now a right tackle who in spurts looks good enough but has the potential to be average at best. They basically covered the holes with bubble gum and scotch tape and hope everything sticks. Typical Jones boys moves.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
No, they went cheap. They still have a left tackle that they can't count on to stay healthy. A rookie at left guard so it remains to be seen on him being an upgrade. A center who gets pushed back a lot and now a right tackle who in spurts looks good enough but has the potential to be average at best. They basically covered the holes with bubble gum and scotch tape and hope everything sticks. Typical Jones boys moves.
They are going the draft and development route. Nobody wants to say it, but they are in the midst of rebuilding the OL. Tyron could be coming to the end, where Martin isn't getting any younger. We already have 2 new starters, maybe another depending how competition sorts it out. Next yr, we could see a new LT.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
They are going the draft and development route. Nobody wants to say it, but they are in the midst of rebuilding the OL. Tyron could be coming to the end, where Martin isn't getting any younger. We already have 2 new starters, maybe another depending how competition sorts it out. Next yr, we could see a new LT.

Always rebuilding something to get nowhere. Can't they both at the same time? Draft and pick up a solid free agent for the o-line? They are paying Dak a lot of money they need to go after it for a couple of years instead of always rebuilding some part of the team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Always rebuilding something to get nowhere. Can't they both at the same time? Draft and pick up a solid free agent for the o-line? They are paying Dak a lot of money they need to go after it for a couple of years instead of always rebuilding some part of the team.
What they are telling us, is they want their young prospects to play now and get the necessary experience, don't want progress stoppers in front of them.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i believe it got fixed the second tyler smith stepped off that bus.
coach moore needs to stick with it.

Techsass

Reaction score
We were doing fine until we started playing musical chairs along the Oline. It never got back on track after that.

Tyler is the biggest question this season. I don't know how long it will take for him to get up to speed or if he ever will, but he's going to be a major part of how well we do this season.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
This is really a big unknown. I'm hoping the rookie makes a big impact at left guard. If he does, and Tyrone and Martin stay healthy, We should be good. But what do we have in Zeke and Pollard? I really don't know. This is a wait and see kind of thing. I gotta believe this rookie is better than Connor Williams.
Totally agree Smith will be an upgrade at LG over Connor Williams. I wish we could've upgraded at Center as well.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
'
They were playing hurt' is a fine reason/excuse for last year, but they are betting on it not happening again as Elliott gets older and has even more miles on him.....and Pollards injury tends to be recurring in nature. But as I said already, they are stuck with Elliott for another year and act like that's a great thing, so he is the guy anyway. Smith may be fine despite Philibin being his teacher, but it's not realistic to expect him to be Quinton Nelson from day one. I'm not sure that's a huge factor though, as he will likely be serviceable right away. Overall the biggest problem is Moore, who doesn't seem to mind letting the defense know when a run is coming, just like his teacher.
I have very high hopes for the defense under Quinn, but until Jerry's fingerprints come off of the offense, namely Moore out of the building and he finally doesn't force an OC on his HC, and bringing in someone who isn't a yes man about the idea of featuring Prescotts arm.......I don't expect much.
Despite all the other problems that need help, I have to agree with you about K. Moore "letting the defense know when a run is coming, just like his teacher". Well said fivetwos.

Hadenough

Reaction score
As for the backs, think both were not healthy down the stretch last season, think they should be fine moving forward.
I think your right but the bigger question is if this team wants to run the ball why are they going into every game with two RBs? Almost every team in the league carries 3 or more RBs on game day. I still think Dallas needs another quality speed back. Zeke would be more effective as a short yardage RB. Keep his legs fresh.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think your right but the bigger question is if this team wants to run the ball why are they going into every game with two RBs? Almost every team in the league carries 3 or more RBs on game day. I still think Dallas needs another quality speed back. Zeke would be more effective as a short yardage RB. Keep his legs fresh.
Not many teams use 3 backs in a game, third back if active, is strictly a special teamer. I would like to see Pollard get more carries, but we have no idea if he can hold up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all witnessed how the run game disappeared in the 2nd half of the season. Teams started to used extra men in coverage and dared the Cowboys to beat them on the ground against light boxes, which they couldn't do. Without a run game and balanced attack, our offense went from being elite to being more of a middle of the pack threat.

There are many things we can point to, Zeke playing hurt and the coaches refusing to sit him down. Reshuffling the OL due to injuries, especially to Tyron Smith. League high penalties committed, Dak not fully healthy and refusal of taking off due to it. Moore playcalling was also a big part of the problem.

In my opinion, fixing the ground attack and becoming more balance was the team's #1 offseason priority. Question is, have they done enough to fix this weakness?

-Both Zeke/Pollard should be more healthy this season. Zeke has been one of the most durable backs since he was drafted. He may not be a homerun back no longer, but still should have plenty of juice to hurt teams on the ground.

-The draft additions of both Tyler Smith and Jake Ferguson were made to help the run game out. Smith is a legitimate power guard who has the ability to move players in the run game and is athletic enough to reach block on the move. The hope with Ferguson is that he is a better inline blocker then Shultz was last season, which will allow more 12 personnel and Shultz to play more to his strengths as a pass catcher.

-Is Terrence Steele a downgrade over Collins at RT? What we do know is that the team was undefeated when he filled in for Collins due to the suspension. Our run game was at it's peak during that stretch.

-What about the penalties? Tyler Smith was a penalty machine on the college level. The hope is that his move from Tackle inside he will do less reaching in space. He needs to work on better hand placement, but his character suggests he won't be mentally weak like Connor Williams. Him next to Biaz, should help alleviate the lack of strength with our center position.

-Tyron's Smith health. To the team's credit they have drafted tackles in back to back years to develop for the future. Question is, will one of them be ready to spot start when Tyron goes down again. Think the wise decision would be find a stop gap, bridge veteran swing tackle.

-Will MM have more influence with the playcalling this season? Reportedly he is going to get more involved. They must do a better job with what type of runs they call and sticking with it.
MP = Micah Parsons
sDE= Stand-Up DE

Pseudo 3-4
.....MP.....DT.....DT.....DT.....sDE
.......................LVE...............Kearse
DTs: Watkins, Bohanna, John Ridgeway
sDE: Sam Williams if MP on the left. DLaw is MP on the right.

5-man DL
.....sDE.....DE.....DT.....DE.....sDE
..........................MP..................Nickel DB
sDEs: Sam Williams & Fowler
DEs: DLaw & Armstrong
DT: Ridgeway
Nickel DB: Could be a CB or Kearse in 3-Safety sets.
For short yardage plays the inside DEs would be DTs.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure Sylvester Williams was that great a player. After his rookie contract at Denver where they didn’t take up his 5th year option he was the definition of a JAG bouncing around teams before finish on the Broncos practice squad.

Well, its a good thing I never called him "great". He was solid and well suited to his role in Wade Phillips defense, and Wade did a good job getting the most out of him. Its hilarious that we are having this discussion b/c he's better than anyone Dallas has had at DT in a loooong time and you are calling him a JAG.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
MP = Micah Parsons
sDE= Stand-Up DE

Pseudo 3-4
.....MP.....DT.....DT.....DT.....sDE
.......................LVE...............Kearse
DTs: Watkins, Bohanna, John Ridgeway
sDE: Sam Williams if MP on the left. DLaw is MP on the right.

5-man DL
.....sDE.....DE.....DT.....DE.....sDE
..........................MP..................Nickel DB
sDEs: Sam Williams & Fowler
DEs: DLaw & Armstrong
DT: Ridgeway
Nickel DB: Could be a CB or Kearse in 3-Safety sets.
For short yardage plays the inside DEs would be DTs.
I remember Quinn using that 5 man line when all their starters came back from injury, it creates single matchups across the board.

Proof

Reaction score
i don’t think the front office has done enough to fix it, but i honestly believe that it will return to form naturally