Have we closed the gap on the Eagles?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
After watching these two games against the eagles ( the first one without elliot) and the second one against the eagles backups, I wonder if our Oline can hold up against their Dline.

What do you guys think? I’m cautiously optimistic that we did a little.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Great question? I think we are close in talent. We are definitely better OL and RB. Maybe WR. LB will probably be better by the end of the year. Otherwise, not sure. TE is a negative at present for us compared to them. We'll see.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think the Eagles were ever the class of the NFC to begin with. I think we probably will compete with them all things being equal. Their defense is more than a little better than ours, though, and the offenses are comparable. Or were before we lost Dez and Witten. Neither game last year was a good barometer of how the two teams stack up.

The Giants, though, might have closed a lot of ground this offseason, too.

Verdict

Reaction score
Great question? I think we are close in talent. We are definitely better OL and RB. Maybe WR. LB will probably be better by the end of the year. Otherwise, not sure. TE is a negative at present for us compared to them. We'll see.

I think TE will be better blocking this year. Witten was a human turnstile as a blocker. Receiving? No idea what to expect.

Zman5

Reaction score
If you take off your homer glasses the honest answer would be no. Even in 2016, we barely beat them at home. And that was Pederson's first year and Wentz was nowhere near as good as he was last year. They are pretty solid overall talent wise and have no real weakness. They are also well coached. They did lose some coaches so that might help us this year.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
To me, our season comes down to Dak.

If he looks like he did his rookie year, we will be as good as any team in the NFL. If he's like he was last year, we will still be a good team but not in the top tier.

We should have the best o-line in the league, along with the best running game. Our WRs are fine. Our defense is young, talented and hungry. They will be a positive this year.

It comes down to Dak. And I believe in the guy.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If we're able to mount a pass rush that is capable of keeping Foles and/or Wentz off balance, anything can happen. If the Eagles are playing at the same intensity that they were last year, it will obviously be tough sledding. That's not to say beating them would be impossible, though. Of course, everything depends upon what sort of an overall game we're able to generate on both sides of the ball. To be continued. ;)

Verdict

Reaction score
If we're able to mount a pass rush that is capable of keeping Foles and/or Wentz off balance, anything can happen. If the Eagles are playing at the same intensity that they were last year, it will obviously be tough sledding. That's not to say beating them would be impossible, though. Of course, an awful lot depends upon what sort of an overall performance we're able to generate on both sides of the ball. To be continued. ;)

The defensive line for the Eagles will dictate how the season goes for them. A lot went right for them last year. I guess they could win it again I just don't see them being as dominant as they were perceived to be last year.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don’t think the Eagles were ever the class of the NFC to begin with. I think we probably will compete with them all things being equal. Their defense is more than a little better than ours, though, and the offenses are comparable. Or were before we lost Dez and Witten. Neither game last year was a good barometer of how the two teams stack up.

The Giants, though, might have closed a lot of ground this offseason, too.

I don't know what to make of the Giants. They were much better than their record suggests. I really am not that scared of Barkley. Them getting Hernandez though is a problem. I think that's almost as good as giving them Barkley and Nelson.

Cap issues are going to be a problem for them and so is ODB. I don't think he is going to be worth the headache.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The defensive line for the Eagles will dictate how the season goes for them. A lot went right for them last year. I guess they could win it again I just don't see them being as dominant as they were perceived to be last year.

It's always tough for last year's champ to repeat. Needless to say, our passing game must improve considerably and I believe it will. We'll see.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Have we closed the gap on the Eagles?
tETAwz5.png
mTDKYt0.gif

dickobrien

Reaction score
-=they do have a heck of a Dline but our Oline gets good leverage.
I'm not convinced we have caught up however
After watching these two games against the eagles ( the first one without elliot) and the second one against the eagles backups, I wonder if our Oline can hold up against their Dline.

What do you guys think? I’m cautiously optimistic that we did a little.

Hi, I appreciate that being from the UK I dont have the history etc of watching NFL but I have followed the game for 30 years as best I can. Having just having watched 'All or Nothing' I dont see how the Cowboys can become a Superbowl team when the owner doesn't allow his coaching staff to fully run the team, is too much involved in daily tasks and senior management seem to be mainly the Jones family. The Cowboys need to have the best people in those positions and that should be the only basis for their appointment.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's always tough for last year's champ to repeat. Needless to say, our passing game must improve considerably and I believe it will. We'll see.

I really don't think anyone realizes what a problem that Dez and Witten posed to the coaching staff. Two of our worst performing players were getting a lions share of the targets.

Plus Dez was obviously seriously problematic to the coaches and the locker room. Just losing Dez will help a lot.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I really don't think anyone realizes what a problem that Dez and Witten posed to the coaching staff. Two of our worst performing players were getting a lions share of the targets.

Plus Dez was obviously seriously problematic to the coaches and the locker room. Just losing Dez will help a lot.

Our talent at WR will be much more diversified this year but those youngsters will be challenged to develop quickly enough to help us contend. We're also about to find out just what we have at TE this year as well. Our defense should be better by far, especially by year's end. There's certainly hope. We'll have a fighting chance to be included in the playoffs if we're reasonably healthy in 2018, imho.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
Our talent at WR will be much more diversified this year but those youngsters will be challenged to develop quickly enough to help us contend. We're about to find out just what we have at TE this year as well. Our defense should be better by far, especially by year's end. There's hope.

I agree with all of that. I will also add this. If we were playing against a team that forced the ball to their worst receiver (pretend that player is Dez) and the second receiver couldn't ever get to the first down sticks on third down would that strike or fear into your team? No. You would assume you would eventually win the game.

Verdict

Reaction score
If you were replacing Julio Jones or Antonio Bryant with Hurns or Gallup that might be a source of stress for a team. But Hurns or Gallup replacing a mental midget with an attitude problem? I'll take that trade off every time.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If you were replacing Julio Jones or Antonio Bryant with Hurns or Gallup that might be a source of stress for a team. But Hurns or Gallup replacing a mental midget with an attitude problem? I'll take that trade off every time.

The factor of relying upon rookies and newcomers so much for the passing game could easily be problematical at the beginning of the year but we'll have to see how they catch on to their new environment. Hopefully, they'll live up to their billing. Dak must return to his old self that he was back in 2016 if we're to challenge the better teams this year. Our newfound OL depth should help that along.

I'm being cautious not to get overconfident over the changes we've made this year, as there's always a considerable amount of adjustments to be forthcoming. Hopefully, we'll develop our young players quickly enough to seriously contend vs. the likes of the East and beyond them in the playoffs. Our new coaches should help if they're capable of adjusting quickly enough to their new surroundings. I'm optimistic overall but still cautious not to assume it'll be an easy transition.

Last edited: