Haven't read it yet . . .

31hammer

Reaction score
It's true that Romo and Henson have been up and down. Bledsoe has looked good but not spectacular. It's true that we have added alot of talent on defense and our defense should be great this year. But it's also true that our QB's are scrimmaging against the 3-4( that defense that QB's hate) could this be the reason our young QB's have looked bad.

Let me begin by saying this is not an excuse:

Henson was out of football for years. He comes back practices against the 4-3 last year, and everyone is raving about him. With only one year under his belt he has to face the 3-4 day in and day out. Now he looks horrible, It's almost expected. It's his decision making is what he has needed to work on as is the case with all young QB's, and now he has to do it against a defense whose sole purpose is to get pressure and confuse the hell ouy of the QB. As is evident by the other thread Simm's says QB's hate the 3-4

Take this thread for what it's worth, but I think we may have to take a wait and see approach on the young QB's. See how they perform in the preseason games

Mike 1967

Reaction score
31hammer said:
It's true that Romo and Henson have been up and down. Bledsoe has looked good but not spectacular. It's true that we have added alot of talent on defense and our defense should be great this year. But it's also true that our QB's are scrimmaging against the 3-4( that defense that QB's hate) could this be the reason our young QB's have looked bad.

Henson was out of football for years. He comes back practices against the 4-3 last year, and everyone is raving about him. With only one year under his belt he has to face the 3-4 day in and day out. Now he looks horrible, It's almost expected. It's his decision making is what he has needed to work on as is the case with all young QB's, and now he has to do it against a defense whose sole purpose is to get pressure and confuse the hell ouy of the QB. As is evident by the other thread Simm's says QB's hate the 3-4

Take this thread for what it's worth, but I think we may have to take a wait and see approach on the young QB's. See how they perform in the preseason games

Good question

i have always wondered about the impact that a good defensive unit has on an offensive unit (and/or vice versa) and it's impact on perception.

When you watch a game.......and and offensive unit is putting up points....how do you truly know if it is the result of a good defensive unit or a poor offensive unit ? And in all reality it is probably always going to be a little of both.

But personally, my concern stems from a couple of things. (1) I'm reading that he is throwing an ugly ball. (2) There appears to be concern coming out of the Cowboys camp.

But...lets wait and see how he looks in preseason games. That is where the rubber meets the road anyway.

I like preseason games because there is actually a high level of pressure on some of these guys. Henson understands that his performance over the next several preseason games will probably determine wether he is a #2...or a developemental #3 behind either Romor or another vet not yet on the team.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
31hammer said:

31Hammer--

I like your thought process here.....it has a lot of merit......good post!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Parcells is letting the defense tee off on the QB whenever Zimmer wants to. He's not letting them get hit... however, he's letting them blitz whenever they want to, up to a certain percentage for the day.

Bill said he's never done this before and I'm sure other teams don't do it either. It gets the QB's used to getting blitzed but I guarantee you that it is making the QB's a whole lot less comfortable back there in the pocket.

Last year, Henson didn't have that during training camp. That's probably your big difference.

They may not look quite as good in camp as they would've if we were doing it normally... but I bet they're going to be much better off in the long run.

That's the biggest difference, IMO, between practice and real games is that pressure. That's why QB's look fine in practice and fall apart in games. Now, our QB's are getting that all camp.

When Arizona sends guys after Henson... it'll be the same thing he's seen all week from Canty, Ware, Ellis, Burnett, Glover, etc. Nothing new... and IMO, that's a good thing. He'll play better in the games since he's used to it.

He'll look like hammered crap in camp though.

People just need to relax and wait to see him in some games.

31hammer

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Keep in mind that Parcells is letting the defense tee off on the QB whenever Zimmer wants to. He's not letting them get hit... however, he's letting them blitz whenever they want to, up to a certain percentage for the day.

Bill said he's never done this before and I'm sure other teams don't do it either. It gets the QB's used to getting blitzed but I guarantee you that it is making the QB's a whole lot less comfortable back there in the pocket.

Last year, Henson didn't have that during training camp. That's probably your big difference.

They may not look quite as good in camp as they would've if we were doing it normally... but I bet they're going to be much better off in the long run.

That's the biggest difference, IMO, between practice and real games is that pressure. That's why QB's look fine in practice and fall apart in games. Now, our QB's are getting that all camp.

When Arizona sends guys after Henson... it'll be the same thing he's seen all week from Canty, Ware, Ellis, Burnett, Glover, etc. Nothing new... and IMO, that's a good thing. He'll play better in the games since he's used to it.

I love the fact that Parcells has everyone going at full speed for the same reasons you have listed. It's just like the old saying "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger" The only set back is we are seeing alot of injuries. I think it's alright though because these guys have to toughen up now, What Parcells is doing is "Old School" Hopefully all this depth we have this year will hold up. Come to think of it the depth is what is allowing Bill to get at em'

Mike 1967

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:

excellent point !

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
31hammer said:

I've wondered the same thing, 31Hammer. On the other hand, I thought back to the Ravens' superbowl year. Their offense practiced against the leagues best defense week in and week out but they still stunk against other teams.

In other words, you could be right, OR our QBs could just be what they appear to be.

31hammer

Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
I've wondered the same thing, 31Hammer. On the other hand, I thought back to the Ravens' superbowl year. Their offense practiced against the leagues best defense week in and week out but they still stunk against other teams.

In other words, you could be right, OR our QBs could just be what they appear to be.

Well they were bad enough to win a super bowl.

But that's niether here nor there.

The point I was making was our inexperienced QB's are having a tough time at it. Because they are facing an ultra aggressive complicated defense in practice. That's all.

If they suck or not We'll have to wait and see in the preseason.

This has been a very great thread so far. I hope it doesn't go south after this post

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent points by all. Check with me in about 56 hours :D

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I think most of his (Henson) issues stems from the fact that he has changed his throwing motion/mechanics. His muscle memory is fighting his new motion and that takes time.

I'm sure there was a good reason for this, the 3/4 throw from babseball is not what the coach's wanted, even tho he was more accurate with it last year than he is this year with the new full overhead motion.

I think you add to it, as the original poster stated in this thread that he is being constantly harrassed, which is good...and he is gacing a "D" he probably did not see much of in College. for that matter, neither did Romo probably.

Coach Bill is teaching them a hard lesson in football now, just as he loves to do, to see how they handle the pressure. From all accounts I've read they both (Romo and Henson) are struggeling, but Romo is looking better.

I'm willing to give them both some more time to adjust, wish they had worked on Henson's motion and mechanics last year tho.

I think a real test of what they are up against will show itself when we play Arizona Saturday. Lets see how Kurt Warner looks against our blitzing "D" and how he handles it. Of course, with BP we might not find out if he tones it down against those guys to play more mind games with our team.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Jarv said:
Lets see how Kurt Warner looks against our blitzing "D" and how he handles it.

That's true. Warner could get pummeled early on. With Bill though, both years he's been here, the team has stunk it up in the first pre-season game and then looked much better in game two. So we may not play well at Arizona.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Great job guys ... well thought out points...no doubt there is some validity to them but how much I have no idea...

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField said:
That's true. Warner could get pummeled early on. With Bill though, both years he's been here, the team has stunk it up in the first pre-season game and then looked much better in game two. So we may not play well at Arizona.

true. however, Parcells seems to be comsumed with winning this year. I think after having two live scrimmages in one week, Bill expects alot this week. God help them if he doesn't get it. :laugh1:

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
All have been great posts so far. As I read, I thought about the SB teams of the '90s and how good the offense and defense was, how they fed off of each other and became the team of the decade.

But, there is also the argument as to why Minnesota can have one of the most potent offenses in the history of the league for several years, yet their defense sucks. In that case, they didn't have equal talent on both sides of the ball, just like the Colts the past couple years.

This Cowboys team, on paper, has talent on both sides of the ball. It will only make them better. The 3-4 might be a harder D to read since not too many pro or college teams run it. But, it's not like BP isn't instructing the QBs what to look for.

This will make both young QBs better. Maybe not this year or this uniform, but it will make them better.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
31hammer said:
Well they were bad enough to win a super bowl.

But that's niether here nor there.

The point I was making was our inexperienced QB's are having a tough time at it. Because they are facing an ultra aggressive complicated defense in practice. That's all.

If they suck or not We'll have to wait and see in the preseason.

This has been a very great thread so far. I hope it doesn't go south after this post

I don't know what you think I was trying to say in that post. I told you that I've had the same thought and that you could be right about the QBs' struggles being related to facing our defense. I only pointed out that it could also be due to them just not being ready yet.

Does that clear it up a little bit? I wasn't being sarcastic and I see no reason why the thread should "go south from here". I largly agree with you on this.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
ive thought the same thing.Either the D is that much improved,or the QB's just suck.I feel it's the D.