Hawk flying up draft boards;Brandon Fletcher CB

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
http://hawkcentral.press-citizen.com/article/20090420/HAWKS0104/904200318/1053

Hawk flying up draft boards
Andy Hamilton • Iowa City Press-Citizen • April 20, 2009

Post a Comment Recommend(5)Print this pageE-mail this articleShare
Del.icio.usFacebookDiggRedditNewsvineBuzz up!TwitterBradley Fletcher analyzed his football career before his senior season at Iowa.

He wanted his last year with the Hawkeyes to be his best. He set aside more time for film study, footwork drills and anything applicable to playing the cornerback position better -- all chores Fletcher said he took care of throughout his career at Iowa.

"I've always been doing those things, but I put even more time into it than I was before, and that made me better," he said. "If there was anything I could tell a younger guy, I would tell them that when you go into a program, make sure you're not wasting any time getting on to what you need to do to be a good player from the beginning."

Fletcher isn't in position to be an NFL draft choice this weekend because of what he did during the beginning of his career with the Hawkeyes. He wasn't a full-time starter until his senior season. But Fletcher's performance during his final year at Iowa coupled with his size and test stats has vaulted him up the mock draft projections this spring.

ESPN NFL draft guru Mel Kiper's latest mock draft has Fletcher going to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the third round with the 72nd overall selection. Kiper has Fletcher listed as the ninth cornerback to be selected in the draft.

"I've heard what Mel Kiper said," Fletcher said. "That was good to hear, but we'll see what happens."

Fletcher said he hears a lot of speculation he'll be a mid-round selection. He certainly hasn't hurt his reputation in the past eight months.

Fletcher said he helped himself during the testing phases of the NFL scouting process. Fletcher said he was clocked at 4.44 seconds in the 40-yard dash and posted a 40-inch vertical leap at Iowa's pro day.

"The combine went good, and the pro day went even better," he said.

Fletcher started all 13 games, collecting 60 tackles, three interceptions, breaking up 10 passes and forcing a fumble as a senior.

"Bradley can run and he'll hit, and he's got good size," Iowa defensive coordinator Norm Parker said. "I think he played awfully well last year."

Fletcher said the New York Jets, Atlanta Falcons, Indianapolis Colts and Philadelphia Eagles brought him in for pre-draft visits. He said scouts have told him they like his size (he's listed at 6-foot-2, 200 pounds), speed and ability to support the run.

"I always knew I could play," he said. "This past year, I was able to put everything together. Looking at things from before the season started, I was looking to play my best football and after doing that, that's why I'm in the position I'm in right now."