Hawthorne?

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Nors said:
I have watched him extensively this year. At 345 he occupies two defenders at will. He is massive and rarely goes backwards even when doubled on. Ideal 3-4 NT. We are talking about a 4th to 6th round pic.

Most all 3-4 teams have two NT's that rotate - See Pats and Wilfork, Traylor. Guys that big usually don't go 100% of game and thats knock on Bryant. He's a consensus top 150 pick.

A rotation guy. That makes since. I watached him play. Wide Body type. Did you watch any Alabama games last year. If so, how does he compare to Ahmad Childress. He was a 6-5 355 NT, for the Tide last year.

I do like Bryant in the 4th - 6th round. I believe Hawthrone can play the NT as well.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
sounds like we are on the same page

Dough Boy said:
I would take a play-making LB (DJ or Merriman) at 11, and maybe a WR (Troy Williamson)at 20, if Troy is not there I would take best defensive playmaker on the board - regardless of position.

This is of course assuming we take care of CB, DE during free agency.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
Anttaj Hawthorne
DT, Wisconsin
War Room analysis
Strengths: Shows good overall strength. Is nearly unblockable when he gets going. Has good experience. Shows an array of moves. Has good closing burst and is a tough tackler. Strong upper body and long arms allow him to get separation from blockers. Has great size and impressive power. Can make the NFL transition to two-gap run stopper.

Weaknesses: On-field effort is inconsistent. Seems unstoppable when playing his hardest, but those instances are rare. Must get faster and more agile.

Bottom line: He had a very strong and productive senior season. Where Hawthorne is selected will depend heavily on his effort. His inconsistency could push him into Round 2.

Dan Pompei analysis
Athletic tackle who can penetrate and be disruptive. Gets behind blocks and runs down the line to make plays. Doesn't have great change-of-direction skills. Must improve consistency.

Late 1st rounder to 2nd rounder that inexplicably dropped to 4th? That same starks that had 4.5 sacks and a very good rookie season. I'm SO GLAD we drafted Peterman, Rogers and Thornton in 2,3,4. Jones and this years one need to save that draft. Starks was a DT/DE hybrid -

Starks fell to the third, not the fourth. I don't know what caused that drop. I still feel Hawthorne would be good value at 20 and a steal anywhere in round 2. He had a fantastic Senior Bowl, definitely improved his stock. I would love to see the team sign someone like Ferguson and draft someone like Hawthorne to rotate in behind him and Glover.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Nors said:
They drafted Igor Ohlshanski in 2.

If we are going 3-4 we need a 320-345 NT

Big DE's like Spears that can play a 3-4 DEand or look at undersized 290-300 pound DT's that can play a 3-4 DE. Where does Antajj fit in there? Maybe at DE?

Day 2 Anthony Bryant at 345 is a load over center.

Anthony Bryant wasn't even good enough to start at Alabama, but he's gonna be "a load" in the NFL? He's just a big, fat waste of space.

And I think Hawthorne has the size to play NG. He's about 320.

I have watched him extensively this year. At 345 he occupies two defenders at will. He is massive and rarely goes backwards even when doubled on. Ideal 3-4 NT. We are talking about a 4th to 6th round pic.

Amazing. Just a week ago you were talking about drafting him in the second.

Yet you've "Watched him extensively" this year?

Oh ok. :rolleyes:

Bobo

Reaction score
You don't have to be 340-350 lbs to play NT. If Hawthorne could be good at it, I guess maybe he'd be the man. Maybe you could draft Bryant or the kid from Memphis later on as a backup.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bobo said:
You don't have to be 340-350 lbs to play NT. If Hawthorne could be good at it, I guess maybe he'd be the man. Maybe you could draft Bryant or the kid from Memphis later on as a backup.

Who's the kid from memphis? Isn't there also some big fat DT named Means? Don't know who he plays for, but that name stuck in my head.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
Anthony Bryant wasn't even good enough to start at Alabama, but he's gonna be "a load" in the NFL? He's just a big, fat waste of space.

And I think Hawthorne has the size to play NG. He's about 320.

Amazing. Just a week ago you were talking about drafting him in the second.

Yet you've "Watched him extensively" this year?

Oh ok. :rolleyes:

I watched him play in 3 games, In those games I watched everyone of his snaps. He either collapsed pocket, held up 2 oline and rarely went backwards at all. Yep at 6-3, 345 there will be questions on his conditioning.

Please post a link where I ever advocated drafting Bryant in Round 2, Never said that ever. I am advocating a Day 2 thought and have him into the 100's on my draftboards that I posted.

Antajj I have advocated as a thought in 2nd round.

Bobo

Reaction score
Rack said:
Who's the kid from memphis? Isn't there also some big fat DT named Means? Don't know who he plays for, but that name stuck in my head.

Yeah that's him, Albert Means. I've watched him play, and he's definitely more athletic than Bryant. May not be as fat as Bryant. He does play NT in Memphis' 3-3-5.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Nors said:
Please post a link where I ever advocated drafting Bryant in Round 2, Never said that ever.

My mistake, Nors. I had read a post of your where you said we should draft him Day 2, but for some reason I was thinking you said Round 2. I even quoted you saying that I heard he was a 3rd rounder at best.

Here's the Link

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
My mistake, Nors. I had read a post of your where you said we should draft him Day 2, but for some reason I was thinking you said Round 2. I even quoted you saying that I heard he was a 3rd rounder at best.

Here's the Link

I didn't remember advocating Anthony Bryant in the 2nd round. And if I had I would have apologized. He's a Day 2 prospect at best.

Where Antajj goes will be interesting. All it takes is 1 team to like you or 3-4 teams to go another direction and it makes the difference between 1st round and 3rd.